S13 Fender Brace Install

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

I got a set of fender braces today, here's the install.

Tools needed: JackJackstandsSocket wrench Socket extension10mm socket12mm socket10mm wrenchHammerPhillipshead screwdriverNeedle nose pliers

Nagisa Auto fender bracesFirst, jack the car up...and place jackstands in the appropriate places.Next, remove the splash shield.Ah, the old Black and Decker, saves wear and tear on the wrist caused by the turning of the screws. Remove the screws from the clamps holding the splash shield to the fender.Then use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the plastic pins holding the shield to the wheel well.Remove the rest of the plastic pins...and you can pull the splash shield. Now you can start removing the bolts holding the fender to the chassis. There are a number of 10mm size bolts peppered all around the fender. I started with the bolts on the bottom of the fender.There are two bolts holding the bottom of the fender to the chassis.If your car is like mine then the bottom of your fenders are all messed up like this because the previous idiot owners didn't know how to use the jack points properly.This is where one of my idiot friends tried to jack up the car when we were doing the frontend conversion. Notice the big dent!Use a set of pliers to bend the fender and the mounting points back into place.If they don't want to move easily then get the "persuader" out!I knew that the extra long extension that I got for changing my spark plugs would be useful for something else. Mine's bigger than yours!Get at the two bolts...and you have that part of the fender loose. The rear of the fender has two bolts that need to be taken.You can get at one from inside the wheel well with the socket extension.And the other by opening the door.That part is done.Frankenstension!!! Mine's still bigger than yours!!!Now you need to remove the four bolts holding the fender to the front bumper. You can get at these from inside the wheel well also. I couldn't get to one of the four with Frankenstension because the resonator box was in the way. Just get a small 10mm wrench to remove it.Use a phillips head screwdriver to remove this brace from the fender.There are 3 more 10mm bolts behind the light housings that you need to get to next. This will require you to remove your headlights and corner lights.Remove the screw on the mounting tab to get the corner light out.The harness wires were both wrapped around the fender...so I unplugged them so I would be able to remove the fender without snagging them.Remove the grill next. Now you need to remove the headlight assembly.Two bolts on the front.Two nuts on the side.There is one more bolt on the inside of the fender that is quite tricky to get to. Because the space is so small you'll have to use the 10mm wrench but it will take some time, you don't have much room to spin the wrench.Finally you need to tackle the 3 bolts on the top of the fender, pop open the hood and you can easily remove them with the extension.You can pull the fender now...and put it to the side.This is where the fender brace will be mounted.You are about to remove 3 of the 4 bolts holding the door hinges to the chassis so DO NOT open your doors until you are finished!Use a 12mm socket to remove the lower three door hinge bolts so you can mount the fender brace on the door hinges.Take the mounting plate....and place it through the stock opening so that the bolt runs through the stock mounting hole.Now you can mount the fender brace but do not tighten yet.To get the best effect from the brace you need to tighten it at the regular ride height so now you need to put your wheels back on and lower the car then tighten the fender brace. The door hinges are to be tightened to 15-21ft. lbs.The install is complete. From here you just repeat what you did for the other side and then re-install your fenders, splash shield and wheels.
Modified by positronone at 11:56 PM 6/5/2007

USsil80

nice write up... but where is the drivers review??

positron1

I was tired yesterday and then had to go to work but I did get up early this morning and went for a test drive and I have to say that there was a profound increase in stability and cornering. I didn't notice much of a difference while driving straight but I could really push harder during turns and remain more stable. Overall, I'd have to say I'm quite impressed with this install. Nothing would beat stitch welding but I'd highly recommend this as an alternative to those who can't do the stitch welding.
Modified by positronone at 8:48 AM 6/6/2007

positron1

I did this install on a 240SX with a S13 Silvia frontend conversion so I have included some info that may help anyone contemplating this install with the 240SX/180SX pop-up frontend. Both fenders are very similiar. The Silvia fender is on the left and the 240SX/180SX fender is on the right.The rear of the fenders are the same with identical mounting points at the door and the bottom of the fenders.The splash shield mounting points are different because the splash shields are quite different.This is where there are slight differences, where the lights mount up.The Silvia fender has 6 mounting points. 2 are tabs/holders from the bumper and 4 need to have screws for mounting.This is the 240SX/180SX fender with 8 mounting points. I just looked at my chuki bumper and there are 3 tabs/holders so there must be 5 screws to be removed/installed for mounting.At the corners the Silvia fender has 3 screws to be removed.The 240SX/180SX fender has 1 screw to be removed at the corner. As far as pop-up headlight removal...If I remember correctly, there are the two mounting points on the bottom of the lights.The mounting points on the top of the lights...and the mounting point where the headlight motor bolts to the chassis. This should help you get the install completed.

ThaKid87
Car: 91 240SX in need of much work and a 96 200SX daily driver

Wow. Those fenders look almost as bad as mine, the bent part where they bolt on under the car.

It's so bad that I'm contemplating just pulling them out of there. I have no clue what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Bronze MFP
Car: 1987 300zx w/digital dash radness

i'd have to say that fender braces pwn front strut tower bars. if you can do both, thats even better, but my RB manifold only lets me run the fender braces. they are well worth the money, its amazing how much flexing of the chassis there is in the firewall area

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

positronone,I thought you and other guys might be interested in seeing this. Eikon was kind enough take these pictures for me. I knew ASC(American Specialty Cars) added braces to s13 vert, but this is first time seeing it. Since my car has this already, so I'm not going to get fender braces. Besides, it seems like too much work taking fenders off and I'm afraid of messing up door, fender and bumper alignment.

positron1

Nice!

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

nice rwite up!

RB20DETodd
Car: Green 92 s13 coupe SE Rb20det

cusco st bar clears
Bronze MFP wrote:i'd have to say that fender braces pwn front strut tower bars. if you can do both, thats even better, but my RB manifold only lets me run the fender braces. they are well worth the money, its amazing how much flexing of the chassis there is in the firewall area
also some guy on the fab forum was selling st style knock offs that would look liek they would clear

s13slideways
Car: 93' S13 Coupe awaiting silvia fenders...

nice write up. i dont have a fender brace but i am goin install the silvia fenders, so thanks.

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

s13slideways wrote:nice write up. i dont have a fender brace but i am goin install the silvia fenders, so thanks.
Why don't you get eBay special fender braces? IIRC, it was about $90 something.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”