Altima Fan Swap

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

The install is being performed on a '93 240SX SE.

The fans came from a '97 Altima, thermo switch and some fabbed brackets. I'm not good at this, but I can post as many pics as you all need. Tools you'll need will be 10mm wrench, 14mm socket, wire strippers, 12g wire, 20amp fuse and wire connecters.

The fans:

Thermo switch kit:

Fabbed up backets and air box 10mm bolts:

First you will need to disconnect the neg. on the battery before you start. . .2. After you do that proceed to take off your intake system. . .3. Unbolt your fan shroud with a 10mm wrench. . .4. Get the 14mm socket and loosen the fan belt. . .5. With the 10mm wrench, unbolt the four nuts that holds the fan/pulley to the waterpump. . .6. Unplug and remove the A/C fan. . .

Now, you have to test fit the fans, becuase you are going to have to do some trimming to make them fit right. I trimmed the sides and the top brackets.

Test fit:

Ok, with that done, you will need to wire it up now. Take the A/C fan that you removed and cut the plug off. Now you will need to find out what wire is the - and + side of the wires. The ALtima fans also have low and high. I used only the low sides of the fans, later I'll be wiring them up to a relay so I can turn them on with a switch with the car off. For in between runs for cooldown. Remember that you want to wire them up to be pullers, not pushers.

Next, you will need to mount the probe for the thermo switch. Put it as close to the inlet side off the rad. That will be the hottest.

Probe installed:

Next, mounting the thermo switch. I mounted mine right next to the battery.

Thermo switch installed:

Next, installing the fans. Lower them down and with the brackets, 10mm bolts and 10mm wrench. Attach the fans.

Fans installed:

Next, ground the fans to the frame and make sure you scrape off the paint so that it grounds good. Wire up the thermo switch using the 20amp fuse and wire connectors.

Fuse installed:

Next, install the pulley back on the waterpump using the same nuts and then tightin up the belt. Put your intake system on and connect the battery.

Finished install:

Now all you have to do is start your car, warm it up and set the thermo switch to come on before your A/C fan comes on. For that reason, your A/C fan come on at 210. If I remember right, warm up is at 195.

Return to “240sx Articles”