VQ35DE in S13 in progress.....

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
SpecDRacing

Hey gang,

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but lately I've been up to something you guys might like to see. I've already installed the drivetrain from a 2004 350Z into an S13 hatch. The wiring will be finished within the next week or so. I have pictures on the camera and just need to post them to the sight. I hope you guys enjoy this. I know the kid I'm building it for will!!! Thanks!

Swap Details:

Rebuilt VQ35DE, ported and polishedRebuilt 6-Speed350Z ECU + Wiring HarnessCustom ShifterCustom Mounts

I dont know if anyone has done this yet, but it should be considered prior to any rb or sr swap!!!

Later!!

Mark Boles

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

hey mark, did you post this more extensively on fa? i think i recognize your name and project. if so, keep us updated over here too!

donjuanmon
Car: '90 Space Gray Metallic 240sx, '05 Carbon Silver 350Z

I actually know a local mechanic who has done a similar swap...though in the 'ole 240z. I look forward to seeing this project of yours come through, and I'm sure all of us would like to know details on it, how much it costs you to do, and whether or not you'd make it a regular service and give us NICO members a GREAT PRICE! haha .......I've always thought that it would be cool to swap that motor, and as far as swaps to keep it in the nissan family.

Keep us updated and post some pics!!

SeVa-S13
Car: '05 GTO 6spd

VQ's in an S-chassis are always a good thing. Post up some pics and maybe a write-up if you're not too selfish.

Good job though.

240sxautox
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx SE

I would absolutely love to have that done to my S13 coupe. I'm planning on having a "crate motor" rebuilt RB20 installed at Top Hat Performance here in atlanta, their cost is about $5900 installed but if your prices are anywhere even close to that I would go with the VQ motor. no turbo lag for my autox.

Boostinb13

Very interesting... pave the way my man.

Terran
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx Se

How do you say,

lrb_2000
Car: '91 KA-T hatch

Terran wrote:How do you say,

SpecDRacing

OK, I have no idea how to put pics on yet. I just set up my registration for pics so hopefully this attachment will waive you non believers. As for the specifics.

The shifter is custom, shelby style.The mounts are custom (of course)THe electric throttle is being used, with the wiring having been seperated from an origional nissan dash harness. The exhaust will be customer headers with a crossover pipe to N1 s13 cat backThe Intake will be custom. Havent stafted that yet.

Not much to see at this moment. Just an engine and transmission sitting in a car....big woop. I know, but give me a few days and I'll have more for you. \

Thanks guys

SpecDRacing

Ok, I'm trying to do this after work and I am having trouble loading these pics. ANyone have a better explanation than the one in the FAQ? THanks. SOrry for the inconviniece.

Mark

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

you can upload them on photobucket.com and the img tags are set out for you already.but yeah, if you have a link to them just put the img tags around the link[img][/img]

someone buy my SR so I can do a VQ or VH swap. maybe an RB25.....

nvrplzd240
Car: 04 G35, 02 CBR600 f4i, 90 Sentra

i like where you're going with this man

keep up the good work

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

How much the did engine setup cost??

jdmfreak

nice I remember seeing this done with a writeup in a magazine, but I cant remember which one...Im gonna go with SCC, IT, or SS lol. Its in one of them. Anyway it was installed into an S14 and it was damn pimp! Keep up the good work!!!

SpecDRacing

So I just got the wiring harness yetsterday, minus the passenger side coil harness (this harness connectes the #1 bank coils, the bank 1 vtc sensor, and the evap solenoid. The metal for the manifold is next door, so I just have to run over, pick it up and start welding. The motor mounts have been made, and the stock S13 harness has been seperated and laid out for soldering. I am installing a BCM to this car (body control module) allowing me the use of the NATS system (nissan anti-theft system). This means your VQ S13 wont start even if the thief is smart enough to bypass the ignition. I am also installing the OBDII diag connector (16-pin used for emissions testing on 96-newer model vehicles). This allows for Consult II connection. Diagnosis, repairs, key registration, etc. will be readily available at any nissan dealer. The engine was rebuilt and ported by me, therefore I know it will be right on. The trans has been rebuilt as well. More pics tonight, hopefully, when I go to photobucket and upload my pics.

Thanks for the support gang!!!!

Oh, and by the way, this is the first 240sx VQ35DE conversion to be done using a stock computer. That allows me to lower install prices for anyone who wants this swap done. Early qoutes of $10K-$20K.....no more. Try $6K-$7K. Sound good?

maroon240
Car: Cyan 95 S14 sold
91 hatch s13 sold
84 300zx 2 seater sold
99 pontiac grand am gt current DD

Supercharge that ***** !!!!!!!!!

fayceoff

^^ Damn, bro... Can he get the motor IN the car first? Throttle back, you're scaring the children.

Nice start, though. Sounds like you've got a great plan.

SpecDRacing

OK gang, you wanted the pics, here's the progress so far, along with some pics that show just how much customization is needed to make this work. Happy skidmarks!

Shifter troubles....its actually about 1 foot back!!! No problem, I'm fabing up the linkage soon. I'll post a pic prior to installing it.

Will need to shave this lip off the front of the motor to clear the sway bar.

Electronic throttle pedal assembly installed. Not a whole lot to see.

One of two wiring nightmares. The 350Z/G35 Coupe engine harness also houses much of the wires that already exist in the 240sx body harness....just cut them off........not necessarily, much of the ECU's programing relies on information from other systems through the CAN lines. Eleminating them might not hurt too much, but could also set the ecu to fail safe.....2500 max rpm...not good.

Later gang, hope your enjoying this as much as I am!!!

Rex
Car: None

Looks GREAT .

Keep us updated with pics and info.

SpecDRacing

UPDATE>>>

Almost all of the wires you see in the above pics now have tags on them telling me where they go. The DLC has been seperated and ready for installation. Basically waiting on the sheet metal to finalize the engine and trans mounts so I can install the starter and fire this baby up! The shifter will be getting dropped off at my machine shop in the next few days.

Thanks for following.

NSRsheets
Car: 2009 Nismo 370Z #85,1993 Nissan 240sx RB25DET coupe, 2013 focus

Awesome job. Makes me want to sell my SR and go that route. Keep us posted.

boj240
Car: 93 hatch sr

Terran wrote:How do you say,
x2

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Very, VERY cool, i'm watching this thread closely!

-Dan

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Looking to do a engine swap.....vg30dett is in mind...or chevy...or this depending on how it turns out...

le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

Compliments to you and your efforts man, seems like a BIG project, Keep it up

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

mad props!!! i wanna drive it lol

whiterps13
Car: white LE hatch

Looks good. The wiring seems like a mess but you shpuld be fine. Cant wait to see it run..

SpecDRacing

BOJ240.....why are you posting that? "this thread is worthless without pics"....pics are posted above. More on the way.

For everyone following, I appreciate the response. I wish I had more time to work on this project, and at the same time, I wish that car was out of my 2nd bay, I could turn twice the hours at work if it were gone.

Anyone interested, I'll say this, the majority of the wiring goes through connectors M72/F102, E12, and E10. Dont bother with the Z car oil pressure sending unit, it goes to the unified meter which I dont have. Get a fitting and use the 240 unit. Oh, and ground all the wires on F103. After that, its only adding a few fuses and solding about 75 wires.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get this all soldered up and post pics.

Again, thanks everyone for following this.

3.5Litre240
Car: Nissan 240sx with VQ35DE being installed

hell yea mark thats wats up.... i cant wait!!!!!!!

Jonathan

SpecDRacing

New Pics:

Finally got to do some wiring today. I still have about 20 more wires to for the BCM and transmission switches, but thats about it. The DLC is in and fully functional as you can see (Consult II hooked up and working). Oh, and for future reference of anyone who is planning this......G35 and 350Z wiring harnesses have all the same connectors...but the wires arent the same.....not even located in the same connector!!!! I know, this swap is using three different wiring harnesses, so I've had to re-pin about 35% of it.

E10/E11/E12 These three are like E8 and E9 from the 240 harness.

These Red and Blue wires are twisted together from the factory for a reason, they are the CAN lines. A must have.

Consult II has power, this is a good thing. So far so good.

Consult II system call. For Nissan/Infiniti techs, you know this means a connection to the control systems is being made. Basically its checking for what all systems are present and if it can access them.

Data Monitor showing me my accelerator pedal is working, my sensors are registering (KOEO) status, and also the DTC report. Only a few, mainly unneeded codes. ASCD is cruise, not on this car. Fuel level Sen/Cir not needed to the ECM but will be hooked up just to avoid the code. IAT sens/cir located in the MAF not yet installed. NATS Malfunction.......a big code. This is why I am using a BCM and installed a NATS amplifier. The need for registered keys is what this code is all about.

Another pic of the already cluttered engine bay. There is a belt on the motor going to the alternator. This location may only be temporary as we may be installing A/C.

Thats it for now.

Later gang!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”