DIY: S13 Rear Fender Rolling/Flaring Tutorial w/ Eastwood Fender Roller

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Title: "We be rollin', patrollin'..."

So I dropped by to visit my buddies' local 240 shop today & decided I should roll and flare my fenders to prepare for upcoming modifications. There are numerous DIY articles and posts floating on the Internet, all with tid bits here & there, but all of them seem to be missing some info. What I will try to do is combine all that knowledge and put as much of it into one post as possible . I'll probably still miss a lot of info, but hopefully this will help some of you guys out there who want to run bigger tires/less negative camber with your crazy low offset & wide rims.

Note: Although it is possible to use the same method for the front fenders, it is more common to just "hammer" in the lip up front because of the flimsiness of the front fenders. This method has not been tried with the front fenders yet... This rolling tutorial is being performed on a '92 Nissan 240sx convertible.

Total Project Time:- Approximately 2-3 hours for both rear fenders with taking pictures and comparing/aligning both sides. Took our sweet time (at least on one of the sides, haha) to make sure everything was going to plan.

Equipment:- Ratchet set for loosening/tightening lug nuts (my stock lug nuts are 21mm)

- Towels/rags - something to clean the fenders and work area

- Eastwood fender roller

- Heat gun (I used the Chicago Electric Adjustable Heat Gun from Harbor Freight), a hair dryer could also work but will be slower

- Infrared Thermometer (not necessary, but highly recommended to prevent paint cracking)

Preparation:- Put your car up on jack stands.

- Remove the wheels

Step 1: Clean your fenders- Clean around the fender area and inside the wheel well behind the lip (this step is VERY important; you don't want any pebbles getting stuck inside your fenders and showing up when you roll!)

- Clean the fenders again just to be sure

Step 2: Attach the fender roller- Use the supplied adapters and your stock lug nuts to attach the fender roller

- The orange knob in the middle of the arm adjusts the height of the roller. I had to change height frequently while rolling to get everywhere - the 240 fender isn't exactly a circle, but more of an oval.

- The knob by the roller head adjusts the angle of the head. I left it at the same angle my friend used (which is about 15-20 degrees from vertical).

- The long arm in front of the hub adjusts the distance between roller and the fender (counter-clockwise moves the roller closer). I adjusted the roller until it touched the fender. Rolled a bit. Then tightened a little more, approximately 1/2 - 1 turn each time.

Step 3: Heat up fender- You will want to heat up the lip, edge, and all around the fender area you will be rolling. 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit is the recommended temperature, according to popular sources. If you don't have an infrared thermometer just make sure it's hot to the touch, but not to the point where your paint is boiling!

- Note: we rushed the driver side a bit, and had uneven fender temperatures (120 F backside, 100F front side). The passenger side was done with no cracking at all. This cracked the paint almost right away. So please take your time if you want to minimize paint cracking.

Step 4: Start rolling- As stated above: I adjusted the roller until it touched the fender. Rolled a bit. Then tightened a little more, approximately 1/2 - 1 turn each time. You will need to apply force liberally, but not too much - if you hear paint cracking, slow down, loosen the roller, and check for damage.

- You can either roll the lip flat and stop, or continue adjusting the arm in front of the lug nuts to get flares. This all depends on your setup preferences.

- It is much easier to have a friend heat and monitor the fenders while rolling. Have him/her heat up the area surrounding where you are rolling and basically follow and lead you while you are rolling. We heated up about 1 foot beyond the fender lip to make sure the metal stays hot & malleable.

- Start rolling from the top of the wheel well and work your way toward front and rear progressively. As you get closer to the front and rear areas, there will be less room for the roller to move, so adjusting height is required. Also, you may need to use a little more force to "persuade" the lip into folding.

- When comparing both sides for evenness, look both behind and in front of the car to see how each side flares. When on the left side behind the car, look w/ the left eye. Try to position yourself in the same relative position on the right side of the car w/ the right eye. Looking from the front of the car and directly above the wheel well will offer more angles to compare both sides.

- Note: the driver side tends to buckle a lot easier than the passenger side when flaring because there is no gas tank equipment to reinforce the fender. Be very careful when working on the passenger side and make sure everything is heated correctly and not too much pressure is being applied. This has happened on both my coupe and my friends hatch. With the '92 240sx convertible, we did not experience the buckling problem, perhaps due to the extra bracing the vert has, or maybe we were just more careful/prepared this time around.

Step 5: Finish up- Once everything is even, unbolt the roller, reattach your wheels, torque the wheels to factory spec, and enjoy your new found wheel well room!!!

Modified by brokeAs240sx at 12:08 PM 11/6/2006
Modified by brokeAs240sx at 1:36 PM 11/8/2006

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Very nice writeup! I'm actually working on the fronts as we speak! haha good timing!

-Dan

onosqv

240sx2nr95 wrote:Very nice writeup! I'm actually working on the fronts as we speak! haha good timing!

-Dan
Dood, it's 1:30am (PST), don't work on cars, go to sleep!!! hee hee.

Let me know how the fronts turn out, cuz I'm debating on whether to pound it flat by hammer or use the fender roller... doesn't really matter to me tho cuz I'm getting the car bodyworked/repainted soon, hahaha. but will be good to know!

The main thing is I'm afraid something might buckle up front if I roll. or it mite get a weird flare and iono if that will look right in the front.

twofourzeroSX
Car: 91 sileighty

yo brokeas240sx.... u still got ur other car?? what have u been doing?

btw... NICE JOB, thats a really nice pull. i will be doing mine in the spring

boj240
Car: 93 hatch sr

ohhhh sweet tut... gj on it i wanna roll my fenders now.! hmm where did u pick up that tool?

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

boj240 wrote:ohhhh sweet tut... gj on it i wanna roll my fenders now.! hmm where did u pick up that tool?
You can get them from Tirerack...

http://www.tirerack.com/access...p.jsp

sil8y-X
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Hatch

Question: Would I have to do this if I were to use wider fenders? I plan on getting my car painted sometime in the near future and would like to do this before so. Would the wider fenders, say 30mm wider, give me enough clearance to run low offset and wide rims?

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

Broadfield wrote:
You can get them from Tirerack...

http://www.tirerack.com/access...p.jsp
$300 for 1 time use? sheeeesh! but yeah, good write-up Q.i did mines like last year, but i didnt need the pull for 15x7 +0, just the roll

Black on Gold

Awsome right up bro. Might have to check back on this in a few months

le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

That is very nice looking, once i get some big ones in the back im gonna have to do this. Nicely done!

gepeto
Car: 1995 S14

NICE roll/pull , it looks factory made !

Too bad I'll never have the bling for wheels wide enough else I'd do it on my 14

Dano

sil8y-X wrote:Question: Would I have to do this if I were to use wider fenders? I plan on getting my car painted sometime in the near future and would like to do this before so. Would the wider fenders, say 30mm wider, give me enough clearance to run low offset and wide rims?
No, plus the wide fenders are FRP and you can't roll that...

-Dan

Dano

brokeAs240sx wrote:
Dood, it's 1:30am (PST), don't work on cars, go to sleep!!! hee hee.

Let me know how the fronts turn out, cuz I'm debating on whether to pound it flat by hammer or use the fender roller... doesn't really matter to me tho cuz I'm getting the car bodyworked/repainted soon, hahaha. but will be good to know!

The main thing is I'm afraid something might buckle up front if I roll. or it mite get a weird flare and iono if that will look right in the front.
For sure, but it's being postponed until after I get back from SEMA next weekend, so you gotta wait, but it'll be worth it!

And ANY time is a good time to work on cars as long as you have enough energy. Just be quiet after 9pm and don't piss off your neighbors

-Dan

~4N~

Nice, props!

Someday...

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I'm going to need to do that because of my 15x8 0 offfset

nvrplzd240
Car: 04 G35, 02 CBR600 f4i, 90 Sentra

if only i had some rims that required such sexy acts

great writeup tho

TOPSECRT88
Car: S14

That looks excellent! Most of those DIY fender jobs look like ***, but this one is really clean

FSUDrifter
Car: trying to decide on one...

240sx2nr95 wrote:No, plus the wide fenders are FRP and you can't roll that...

-Dan
I know it wouldn't be conventional, but hypothetically you could heat up the fiberglass fenders and "pull" them. That would requires some incredible wide front wheels, though.

Dano

FSUDrifter wrote:
I know it wouldn't be conventional, but hypothetically you could heat up the fiberglass fenders and "pull" them. That would requires some incredible wide front wheels, though.
Even if you could get it hot enough without losing it's shape, your not gonna have much play either way... it'd be better to leave it alone.

-Dan

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Good to see nice flare without a buckle. Super nice job!

DriftSpecial180
Car: 1990 RHS13

adrians_s13 wrote:$300 for 1 time use? sheeeesh! but yeah, good write-up Q.i did mines like last year, but i didnt need the pull for 15x7 +0, just the roll
If you buy one, you can roll/pull for other people for like $70 bucks or whatever and it can pay itself off.

I ran 15x7 +0 and you might need to roll depending on the tire size you go with and how much camber you use. If you're going with a 205/60 with 0* camber i'd roll.

sil8y-X
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Hatch

240sx2nr95 wrote:
No, plus the wide fenders are FRP and you can't roll that...

-Dan
Lol, didn't even think of them being FRP. I'm an idiot.

ppd_sileighty

very nice

hayaimoto
Car: Sil80,full race EG6,Street DC2, Real deal RHD FEEDfd3s

Damn thats some extreme rolling!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Man, that's a NICE flare.... I need to do that to mine.

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

AZhitman wrote:Man, that's a NICE flare.... I need to do that to mine.
Yeah, I wanted you to see this thread before you do it. Vert has another sheet metal welded inside of rear fender, but still you should be careful. Actually, reforcement is exact spot where it buckles easy.

boznuttz
Car: MS13

Dumb question, but does rolling even decrease the appearance of wheel gap in the front and rear?

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

nice write up but what is wrong with the color balance of the photo? someone have it stuck in flash mode or something

onosqv

Loveless wrote:nice write up but what is wrong with the color balance of the photo? someone have it stuck in flash mode or something
white balancing was off in the photo, so everything was a lil blue - wasn't my camera so I didn't notice til after the fact .
boznuttz wrote:Dumb question, but does rolling even decrease the appearance of wheel gap in the front and rear?
Actually, if anything, it would slightly increase it - the reason being that you are pulling out (and sort of up), that's strictly speaking flares though, rolling should do nothing easily noticeable.
AZhitman wrote:Man, that's a NICE flare.... I need to do that to mine.
Yea, verts are strong back there , but you should still be very very careful - I was doing it like that because I didn't care if it buckled or chips paint because I'm having bodywork and paint done to it soon anyway. Still gotta put on the "flusher" rims and flare a little more.

I have a tool that I'll be testing as an "unbuckler/anti-buckler" as soon as I get a chance, in the middle of a few projects right now & just got back from vacation.

I've done a couple 240's & a couple other cars recently - the chance of buckling on fastbacks is the worse, then coupes, then verts - but I've heard of a vert getting buckled, so I guess it's a judgement call.

And if you're ever in So Cal w/ the vert, I'll help u roll it out, hahaha - easy to do by yourself though, just take your sweet time.

onosqv

94_240sx wrote:
Yeah, I wanted you to see this thread before you do it. Vert has another sheet metal welded inside of rear fender, but still you should be careful. Actually, reforcement is exact spot where it buckles easy.
Fixed most of the buckle on my other 240 today - this method can possibly be used to keep buckling to a minimal when flaring - tried on coupe & fastback, vert should be nearly the same).

DIY: S13 Fender Unbuckling Procedures - also possible buckling prevention!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”