SOHC KA Starter and Alternator on SR

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

ive tried searching for this answer in this section of the forum. in the SR parts faq, someone mentioned that the KA starter works. i e-mailed him for more info but to my avail he forgot exactly how to do it. so i ask...how do you mate the starter to the SR? is it just plug and play?

same goes for the alternator. while im here i might as well ask, even though it is a frequently visited and asked question. any input?

deCksy

i know the DOHC alternator works for sr... not sure about sohc and i'm too lazy to search right now sorry.

to use the DOHC alternator you just need to drill out the tensioner hole a lil bit and buy a new nut to fit on the tensioner screw, and swap the pullies

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

SOHC starter works its is almost a perfect copy. Only differences are the heads on the starters. You have to switch out the SOHC bodies to the SR head. It should be 4 bolts. Make sure to hold the starters so that nothing falls out of them. Also the gears int he heads are not interchangeable. I also recommend greasing up the SR head gears.Lastly do not torque the starter bolts down to much when you put them back in.

myees13
Car: 90 s13 coupe

[quote=""MyeeS13""]

I used a rebuilt starter for a s13 ka24de.

Pretty much you just re-use the bottom portion/bracket from SR. The starter motor and solenoid are the same SR/KA

-Take apart both starters (2 long bolts on motor(10mm) / 2 short ones on solenoid(12mm))-Install motor and solenoid from KA onto SR bottom part.

I had to get creative to hook up the small wire on the solenoid, but it works fantastic.

KA starter part you do not use:

SR starter motor / solenoid you remove:^shown with bolts[/quote]

hpmachine
Car: '05 EVO8 + '95 240sx

I'm interested in doing this starter swap. are the manual and auto starters the same for the sohc?? or do i need a specific one to do this?

Blown240sx

I dunno I would go wtih 5 speed if there is a difference but I dont think there is. Its a pretty easy job as long as you dont drop any of the starter pieces. We had to reassemble one of the starters we did cause we tipped it over and everything came out of it.

jdm_master_X

haha yeah i dropped a bunch of stuff when i attempted the swap but u come to realize reassembly isnt even that hard. its like playing with lego blocks.

hpmachine
Car: '05 EVO8 + '95 240sx

i love legos!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

jdm_master_X

i think if it werent for lego blocks, i wouldnt have developed the interest in buildings stuff.

slik_s13
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx hatch back

i just tried to do this sohc ka starter swap/ into sr starter and my ka starter isnt compatible with my sr starter. the starter housing and motor r different on the ka. i also got the ka starter awhile back before i did the sr swap from auto zone, maybe it was made a little different.idk. does anybody know anything else about mating these two starters together.

Blown240sx

If you use the SOHC start motor and cyliniod with the SR starter head and gears inside the head it will work trust me. Sounds like youve done something wrong. Make sure you dont have a DOHC starter or something.

slik_s13

well i wish it would work, the starter i have came off of my old ka24e and i checked in every which way it might work. its pretty straight foward the way it was explained, the ka starter is even a bit smaller(diameter wise). i dont think im doing it wrong i think the starter that i have wont work, its from auto zone. i bet a ka starter from nissan dealership might work cuz you know how some parts are a little different at the auto store comparted to the original. i even asked to look at a ka24de starter and it looked the same as the ka24e so i guess it woundnt matter. so now i found a sr starter for 125.00 used which i dont mind paying for at all, just thought since i have a ka starter lying around why not see if it works. if i make it work or figure it out i will let u all know. thanks for the help. its greatly appreciated

silviabatman
Car: 97 silvia s14

update?

fregisr
Car: 240sx 1990

I know it's old but I will do an update on the starter. They make two kinds of starter to fit our sohc/dohc ka motor. I think the one with our sr is the mitsubishi made starter.

slik_s13

well tha update is it didnt work. my sohc ka starter wasnt compatible with my sr starter, i check i every which way it might work quadruple checked the steps on how to mate the two and no dice. i agree with you fregisr my sr starter had a mitsubishi or hitachi logo on it, the sticker was green. cant remember which one it was its been awhile since i resolved the problem. and i never did get a starter for it all i did was grease the gears in the head of the starter and took that awful grind/ noise away!+1

PhopsonNY

Well, the truth is that there are 3 different kind of SR starter depending on the Auto vs manual vs built in alarm.

The type you have determines whether the internals are swapable with the KA internals.

Good luck
Modified by PhopsonNY at 2:01 PM 4/25/2008

Kalypso

this thread is useful.

I have to buy the ka starter and rebuild my sr starter tommorow

I am going to make sure i get the sohc ka24de starter also, but i just hope it fits and that i dont have fitment problems.

thank you gentlemen. best wishes.

jdm_master_X

i thought it was Mitsuboshi, not Mitsubishi.

jgauspohl
Car: 97' S14 SR24VET
92' S13 S14 SR20DET
90' Golf GTI
91' S13 siltruck project

jdm_master_X wrote:i thought it was Mitsuboshi, not Mitsubishi.
Both of the starters must be Hitachi ..the sr being 23300 52F00 S114-705Aand the sohc ka one being 23300 30R01 S114-519A. I'm working on a thread with pics for it right now because let's face it ...$618 and some change is waaaaaaay to much for a starter. The brush holders in the tops switch out...and so do the brushes themselves and the wrapped wires they're on...minus the ones actually part of the brush holder. The big coil inside the sohc ka one is actually slightly longer than the sr one. I'm not sure if you have to use the sohc starter housing sleeve (it's black,cylindrical, hollow and magnetic) or the sr one...because the ka one is actually a little longer...I think to compensate for the coil being slightly longer. All the little gears switch out and so does the plate they're on as well as the ring they spin in. There's a c-clip if yours is toast and you want to switch them out...but you must re use or order a new drive shaft...it looks like a shaft with three posts on it that the gears turn on. You have to use the sr one. Plus you must also reuse your clutch gear (the part that actually drives the flywheel with the bearing on it). If your bearing is shot like mine...have an alternator shop mic the clutch gear and match....this is the only way to replace this part...other than that you're screwed. Mine turns both ways is why I have to replace it. Other than that the solenoid switch out too...which is nice because the sohc ka solenoid has a plug while the sr one just has a blade that you slide your plug onto. Anyway pics are coming soon...hope this helps some of you out that just have to replace the coil. Most people give away sohc starters...so snatch them up for those time you never know when your ride is going to piss you off. With mine ...it was the starter grounding nut coming loose somehow...maybe it was the peak motor mounts and tranny mount dunno. I hope a mod will put this thread at the top of the sr forum...as soon as I post pics. BTW d!ck I hope you'll forgive me you just pissed me off...referring to the 2010 silvia thread...as Dane Cook said Dream it you ****ing dreamers...damn it let me dream

Kalypso

bump again, I need this once more - months later

callmeweezy724
Car: 1990 240sx w/s13 blacktop swap, 1986 e30 325e 4dr 5spd,1997 infiniti Q45

i used the sohc alternator on my Sr..i jus swapped the pullies and used the tensioner bolt parts from the sohc ka as well. Worked fine.

Kalypso

thats excellent, I may need the solenoid only, are you using that also?

what about the sentra starter?

it doesnt have to come from ebay, but here are pictureshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors....m204
Modified by Kalypso123 at 6:43 PM 6/23/2008

callmeweezy724
Car: 1990 240sx w/s13 blacktop swap, 1986 e30 325e 4dr 5spd,1997 infiniti Q45

naah im just using the alternator idk about the starter sry.

Kalypso

I did it

I cleaned the insides and replaced -solenoid, brushes, and the gold bottom cap.

I didn't use a hitachi starter/which would have made a big difference, the starter I used was international - for a

SOHC 89 240sx...

and it works!!!

maj Andres
Car: Zenki, '95 Model, w/ S14SR20DET

Will this work for an S14 SR as well?

Kalypso

will what work... starter rebuild?

i think so... it wont work on an s15 sr because the flywheels are different. but you should confirm this elsewhere also. im not the expert on s14 sr20's.

check the sr faq... if we use the same flywheel you're good.

Jack_famous
Car: 1991 240SX OneVia, 1994 Infiniti G20T, 2000 Mercedes E320 Kompressor, 2012 Ford Ranger FX4, 2008 Chevy Colorado Z71

I WANT TO CONFIRM FOR EVERYONE THAT THE KA STARTER IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE SR20 ENGINE!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THE IDIOTS THAT HAVE NEVER DONE THE JOB THEMSELF.

So I spent the last week doing tons of research about the starter on the Infiniti G20T with the SR20 engine. My roommate's G20 started up just fine in the morning last week and when he got to the bank, it refused to crank. First things first I bump started it and got it home. Right off the bat, I checked all relays, fuses and OHMs to all connections thinking it was a security function or some blown fuse or relay, but I finally climbed under it to short the connection on the solenoid only to find that the starter would throw sparks at me and do nothing, confirming my initial diagnosis as a bad starter motor and solenoid. (It would not punch or turn at all, just a silent click of the ignition relay under the dash.

Now to the beef:
I knew the starter had power and a solid connection to the ignition switch, ruling out any electrical connection issue. So I dug deeper using the information here. Thank god there was plenty of good (and terrible) information so I took it all with a grain of salt.

Ultimately, the fact of the matter IS, the KA24DE starter DOES WORK on the SR engine. However, you DO need to change the housing on the front of the KA starter to make it compatible with the SR20. Ill upload pix later once My phone charges up. It took me just over 2 hours to remove, completely Frankenstein the KA and SR starter together, and install the FrankenFreak on the Damn G20. If you can do your own brakes, you can do this job. It's not difficult, but it is frustrating and having a buddy help along the way isn't a bad idea.

Lets get Deeper:
-Get the damn thing up on ramps and remove the battery, Air Filter Box, and all Rubber Intake hoses down to the throttle body. You will have plenty of working space at this point.
-On the passenger side from under the car, there is a perfect gap in the cross-member to slip the starter out, so you will spend most of your time here
-There is a "Y" Bracket supporting the Intake manifold attached to the block and it has a vacuum actuator attached with a 10mm bolt, remove this. It must be relocated in order to pull the starter.
-There are 2x 14mm bolts on the bottom of the bracket attached to the block, remove these
-On the top of the bracket, the left nut is 13mm, the right nut is 12mm, remove these and shove the bracket up towards the top of the engine, jamming it against something to keep it out of your way.
-Now you can access the starter's power cable and solenoid wire, remove both of these. (Solenoid is a clip connection, power line is a 13mm nut with lock washer)
-Go topside where the filter box was located, and directly to the left of the filter box location on the bellhousing is 2x 14mm Bolts, remove these. They hold the starter in place.
-Get back underneath and the starter will slide out of that little space in the cross-member like a good "morning after thanksgiving" poop.

Heres the Gravy:
-With both starters in front of you, you will notice 1 thing and 1 thing only: The Front of the starter that holds the gears and final drive has different mounting brackets. Dont worry! this is the fun part!
-Remove the 2 bolts on the back of the old starter first (so you get an idea of how its done before you disassemble the new working KA starter)
-DO NOT PULL ON THE BRUSH ASSEMBLY!!! PULL ONLY THE STARTER MOTOR HOUSING OR USE A FLATHEAD SCREWDRIVER TO PRY THE STARTER MOTOR FROM THE GEAR ASSEMBLY AND KEEP THE STARTER FACE UP THE WHOLE TIME!!!
-ONCE THIS IS APART, AND YOU ARE CONFIDENT THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT, DO THE SAME TO THE NEW STARTER AND SOLENOID
-ASSEMBLE the FrankenFreak by attaching the SR's FRONT GEAR AND MOUNTING BRACKET TO THE KA STARTER, and tighten it all together.
-Bench Test the FrankenFreak using jumper Cables (Dont forget to connect the solenoid as well using a piece of wire and make sure it turns and punches)

Time for dessert:
-Install the starter and hand tighten the bolts on the Intake manifold Support Bracket
-Connect the battery and make sure it cranks the motor before you go any further
-Success!
-Get under it and tighten it all down to about 45-55 pounds of torque, no more, no less.
-Reassemble the air box and rubber intake hose and all vacuum lines just like you removed them.
-Reinstall the battery and test your success.
-Grab a beer and watch the FrankenStarter do its thing.
-Pay your buddy in beer that helped you
-Success.

I hope this helped someone, because there are alot of dipshits out there saying that this cannot be done no matter what. Well, I just proved you wrong guy, because I just did this in under 2.5 hours in my driveway and it works just like it did before, if not better.
The FrankenStarter IS possible, and easier than spending 140 on a new SR starter.

Grand total money spent: $20 for the used KA starter
Grand total time spent: 2-2.5 hours if you have half a brain at least (I am hungover like all hell, and only firing on 5 out of 8 cylinders) It's not hard at all, sack up you sissy.

Good Luck.

OH And the dumbass that said it cannot be done, doesn't belong on the internet. stupid troll. If you have never worked on these cars or done this job, don't say it takes 5 hours just to remove the starter, you obviously don't belong under a car or in this line of work. Go play with your tonka toys or legos or whatever it is kids play with these days.

CHEERS!!! :fap: :luck: :BnB: :hitit:

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”