94 Q45 Aux Input for MP3

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
off2sobe
Car: '94Q TCS, original tranny @ 230,000 miles

I posted in the Car Audio forum, but didn't receive any responses...this is pretty specific to the Q45, so here goes...

The 94 Q45 Bose/Clarion HU PN-9556Q has 2 DIN inputs. The one closest to the middle (6-pin DIN) is/was for the phone.

Is the other one (8-pin DIN) an AUX input (or better yet a line out)? If so, does anyone have the pinout?

(I posted a pic in the Car Audio forum).
Modified by off2sobe at 8:26 AM 8/28/2006

Rex
Car: None

I have some info on this somewhere ... let em see if I can find it. I think I have the pinning info and a parts list ot make your own.

There are some "off the shelf" items for sale, but they're close to $100.

Rex

Here's the schematic I have

Rex

And the parts list ... make me one while you're at it .

off2sobe

Rex, this is great stuff, thanks. I'm sorely tempted to axe the CD player if I could do a direct interface for the ipod but I'm not quite there...I kind of like having control of the CD in the HU.

I bet these plans could be updated to directly connect an ipod docking plug (instead of RCA R/L only) and control the ipod from the HU. I would definitely yank the CD for this.

I know I've seen a pic somewhere of the HU showing "AUX" in the display (maybe I dreamed it).

Now curiosity has the better of me…I really want to know is what the 8-pin DIN is for.

Is it an AUX input...if so, what was it for? I'm not aware of any additional add-ons that would use the audio except the phone.

Is it a line out? This would be too cool...that would solve my other concern about pulling a signal for a line-out converter directly from the speakers.

off2sobe

Here's the pic...the DIN I'm wondering about is the one at the lower left.
Modified by off2sobe at 11:12 AM 8/28/2006

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

on the G50 theres 2 antennae... One on the rear window and the power antenna..

Thats what the 2nd thing is for.

Rex

off2sobe wrote:... I know I've seen a pic somewhere of the HU showing "AUX" in the display (maybe I dreamed it). ...
Yes, there was a (now defunct) web site from a Maxima owner showing as such and offering an adapter, but no diagrams.

Here's a couple more diagrams I have.

Rex

This shows one pinout

Rex

Oh, and this one

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

elwesso wrote:on the G50 theres 2 antennae... One on the rear window and the power antenna..

Thats what the 2nd thing is for.
That DIN connector isn't for an antenna. Both antenna leads go to the same plug as show in one of the later pics.

Anyone tried this on the Q radio or is it the same as the Maxima it was designed for. Funny, just a few days ago I was testing the cd wiring back by the changer with my ocsilloscope to start working on a aux input system. If this works it'll save me a lot of work.

I will most likely be building one of these, or all, to test. I think I would integrate a switching circuit so you could still use the CD if you wanted.

This is great info.

Rex

qsiguy wrote:That DIN connector isn't for an antenna. Both antenna leads go to the same plug as show in one of the later pics.

Anyone tried this on the Q radio or is it the same as the Maxima it was designed for. Funny, just a few days ago I was testing the cd wiring back by the changer with my ocsilloscope to start working on a aux input system. If this works it'll save me a lot of work.

I will most likely be building one of these, or all, to test. I think I would integrate a switching circuit so you could still use the CD if you wanted.

This is great info.
Should be the same as the Max Bose, though 98 and up may behave differently. FWIW, I am controlling a 95 Q45 CD with my 99 Pathfinder HU.

Let me know, as I would hope my pics/diagrams/schematics coudl score me a discount .

There is a couple devices available, but to have AuxIn and autoswitching would be close to $200 ... might as well go full aftermarket at that point . Not that $200 will get you much, but I've got a single DIN Kenwood CD, single DIN Kenwood 4 MD changer and a nice old school Phoenix Gold MPS amp ... so I'm part way there.

qsiguy

Thanks for the info Rex. I sell audio equipment everyday so aftermarket would probably be much easier but call me a nut but I kind of like having the OEM headunit in the dash (when it's working) Keeps thieves away. Plus I'm a gadget freak and like the idea of custom circuits. I guess I wasn't aware that these radios were the same as so many other models. I've never seen many adapters listed for the G50's but now that I know that some other models are compatible, I can see what my wholesalers have available as well.

I'd still like to make my own circuit because that would be kewl! What do you want a discount on? Of course I'll hook you up! Do you need other products or were you referring to one of these aux input adapters?

So is the '95 Q CD the same as the '94 Q?

I've been doing some checking and I am not seeing anything available for these models from my distributors. Anyone have a part number for an input adapter that they know works for this application? The only one I can find that seems to be for this application is the PAC AAI-NIS but all the retailers I have looked at say it's discontinued. I'll call my vendors tomm. to see if I can still get it anywhere wholesale and if I can get a good deal on them if they do still have it. If the price is right, does anyone else want one of these? If they are not still available I'll have to make a few according to Rex's diagram, assuming I can make it work.
Modified by qsiguy at 12:36 AM 8/29/2006

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Hey, if you guys ever figure out an adapter for the I-pod, I'm all over that. I hate the cassette adapter that I have to use. Would be great if it powers the I-pod too.

Rex

Just to recap, what I'm "pretty sure of" ...

At this time, I have a 1999 Pathfinder Bose in dash CD player in my 1995 Q45 using a Nissan adapter (PN#24028-3B300, 300ZX sub harness). It also controls the (factory pre-wired) 1995 Sony 10 disc changer with no issues or quirks.

So, are there items listed as compatible or available for the 1999 (and newer) that give you AuxIn options, as I am also bored/tired of using the cassette adapter.

As for a "discount" I was referring to if you made some adapters to sell to NICO members (and I think you could sell them if you choose to make them). If you find an "off the shelf" item, I'll pay retail ... or close to it.

Is this the same PAC part? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z...11NIS

I would be much more inclined to update my Sony MD to an iPod-ish device if this functionality was "solved".

Great discussion BTW.

RyanH
Car: No more Q, just a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6

qsiguy wrote:I've been doing some checking and I am not seeing anything available for these models from my distributors. Anyone have a part number for an input adapter that they know works for this application? The only one I can find that seems to be for this application is the PAC AAI-NIS but all the retailers I have looked at say it's discontinued. I'll call my vendors tomm. to see if I can still get it anywhere wholesale and if I can get a good deal on them if they do still have it. If the price is right, does anyone else want one of these? If they are not still available I'll have to make a few according to Rex's diagram, assuming I can make it work.
I'd be all over either option in a heartbeat if you can find the PAC piece, or make your own. Either way, keep me in mind if you would!

louiegz

Rex wrote:Is this the same PAC part? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z...11NIS
I've seen that US Spec thing before. Thay have it as not being compatible with the Q HU.They say it works with newer Infiniti and Nisan HUs.

Rex wrote:I would be much more inclined to update my Sony MD to an iPod-ish device if this functionality was "solved".
Wow. You must be one of the few that use Mini Disc. I thought only musicians used those in the studio to make quick copies of their music.

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

louiegz wrote:Hey, if you guys ever figure out an adapter for the I-pod, I'm all over that. I hate the cassette adapter that I have to use. Would be great if it powers the I-pod too.
Ditto

Rex

louiegz wrote:I've seen that US Spec thing before. Thay have it as not being compatible with the Q HU.They say it works with newer Infiniti and Nisan HUs. ...
I have a 1999 Pathfinder HU on my Q, so I'm curious to know if it would work???
louiegz wrote: ... Wow. You must be one of the few that use Mini Disc. I thought only musicians used those in the studio to make quick copies of their music.
The discussion comes up from time to time, and it seems myself, Jesda and Chris (HashiriyaS14) all have/had them. For me it's great, I plug it into my Digital Cable box (via a fiber optic cable) and let it record over night. The only downside to that is it creates 1 single track, that I have to but "breaks" into. But the edit features of an MD is great. Not only can you add/remove breaks, but you can move tracks around on the portable MD player.

I should get over my fanboi iPod desires.

louiegz

Here's a Compatibility List of what you can use the USA Spec thing with.

http://www.usaspec.com/compatibility/index.html

Says you can use it with any Infiniti HU between 99 & 01. Maybe if one could swap an HU from a 99-01 Q. That might be the ticket, but I'd rathernot have to.
Modified by louiegz at 2:30 PM 8/29/2006

off2sobe

Does anyone know this NICO member?

teamgoon

Sounds like he is "the man". He's already done what we're trying to do here...per his post in the G50 owners thread:

I have an XM tuner connected via the stock headunit's AUX 2 input.More pics & details at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2299831

Check out his install...especially the placement of his XM...sweet!

I've sent him an email...I hope he can help clear this up.

qsiguy

I'll be interested to find out what "teamgoon" has to say. He may have used an older AAI-NIS which I am finding isn't available any longer. I just checked with my primary vendor for the PAC parts and they no longer carry that one. It's discontinued apparently. The AAI-NIS2 says it's for '03+ so I don't think that will work. The same vendor has some USA Spec products but they don't stock the P11NIS. They are checking to make sure they can order that one special for me. If they can get it I should be able to offer it under $100. They are supposed to get back to me later today. Some of you might like the USA Spec model but I don't have an IPod so I wouldn't want it unless it has RCA inputs or just a headphone jack input. I have a SanDisk MP3 player.

The Peripheral model PXNI says it's for '04-05 350Z/Maxima/Quest, '03-05 Murano/Pathfinder, and '05 Altima. I think we're out of luck with this one too. Peripheral also has one called the "Aux2Car" but the only Nissan on the application guide is the '99-'02 Quest using harness #PXHFD3. Anyone know if the Quest radio matches the Q or the '99 Pathfinder radio Rex is using?

I think I may start aquiring the parts for the plans Rex supplied and see I can make it work.

Rex

I'm almost positive everything I've read says the Quest is the bastard child of Nissan/Infiniti Bose HU's . Don't think anything's cross compatible with it.

Don't you guys have a box full of OEM take outs in a box back in the intall bays?

qsiguy

Rex wrote:.....Don't you guys have a box full of OEM take outs in a box back in the intall bays?
hehe, yes actually. I'll have to look again but I don't remember any decent Nissan/Infiniti Bose radios. Anyone remember the movie Office Space when they take that printer out to a field and smash it up? That's what we usually want to do with Bose radios hehe

off2sobe

Be gentle...this is my first time diving into the inner workings of an audio system...

OK...if I use Rex's pinout above:

1: AUX ON SIGNAL INPUT2: COMBI. ON SIGNAL OUTPUT

In theory, if I run a jumper between 1 and 2 the head unit will switch to AUX and play the signal coming in from the AUX audio inputs.

Is this correct??

I wish I had a head unit to play around on...found one on ebay for about $20 bucks last week but someone nabbed it. If anyone has a head unit (working or not) that has the 8-pin DIN input in the back (see pic above) and would part with it cheap, let me know.

qsiguy

Unfortunately I don't think it's that easy. I am still decrypting all these notes to tie it all together with the circuits Rex supplied. The combi on signal appears to be an 11V pulse and the Aux ON appears to be a 5.9V signal. I am not sure of this tho and haven't had a chance to pull out my radio and start experimenting.

The other issue is that even if you get the Aux to turn on I'm not sure if the audio inputs are standard low level RCA type. The circuit Rex supplied indicates you need to construct a single ended differential converter. Bose typically uses proprietary inputs/outputs for their equipment. That's why you have to use converters for everything.

A couple weekends ago I did cut the CD Changers audio output leads and turned it on to activate the cd input. I tried to feed an audio signal from my MP3 player into those audio input leads and it didn't work. This possibly confirms the need for this converter on the audio inputs.

Rex

Why wouldn't this work?http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=610

qsiguy

Looks like it might. I am contacting Soundgate and see what I can get it for. I don't want to pay that much for it. My price should be about 20-40% under that. Hopefully more Will likely still build the DIY one since it'll prob. only cost a few bucks.

I'm heading to Vegas until next Monday, hopefully I'll get a response by then.

Rex

Keep in mind, I posted something I think should work with my 99 Pathfinder HU.

louiegz

Rex wrote:Why wouldn't this work?http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=610
I don't think so. There's a compatiblility chart and Instalation instructions and it says Q45 98-02. Here's the link.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/auxniss.pdf

INFINITI

1998-02 G20- All

2003-04 G35

1998-01 I30- All

1998-02 Q45-- ALL

1998-02 QX4- ALL

Warning: The AUXNISSv3 is only compatible with the Model/Years listed above and will not work in others evenif the radio has a 12-pin connector (i.e. 1997 Maxima). Please do not purchase this part if the vehicle in your cardoes not meet the requirements (12-pin cd changer connector, CD/CGH button)

I guess the question is which one of these radios fit in the G50. I'd rather not have to do that. Hopefully someone figures out how to do it with the G50 HU.
Modified by louiegz at 11:19 AM 9/1/2006

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”