vibration from dead stop

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
porshapower
Car: 1992 q45

My 92 is getting a vibration when I take off from a stop. Feels like a driveshaft or axle ??? Anyone experience this?? Thanks:)

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

What kind of maintenance have you done? Driveshaft, Tranny Mount, Tranny itself, tires could all be possibilities... Need more info about the car regarding maintenance.

RobertsnewQ

Mine started doing that after one of my rear subframe mounts collapsed.

defrag010

Mine did that when one of my injectors went bad.

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

Mine did that when ....wait it still does.

Modified by CrimsonQ at 9:59 PM 5/3/2006

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Motor mounts and all rubber isolators and bushings need replacing every 100k, just the way it is............many items don't last that long: upper links tension rods, tranny mounts, exhaust hangers.

RobertsnewQ

Q45tech wrote:Motor mounts and all rubber isolators and bushings need replacing every 100k, just the way it is............many items don't last that long: upper links tension rods, tranny mounts, exhaust hangers.
Yes, heavy cars are hard on bushings. LS400s are the same, so are SCs, etc, etc. My friends with Jags, S-series Mercs and 7-series BMWs complain about it too.

Just be happy that our parts come in a cheap grey box and not an expensive blue box! I just grin when I tell them I pay $90 for a tranny mount and under $100 for engine mounts too.

porshapower

Have only had the car for about a month and it has no service records unfortunately. Today I pulled the transmission to eliminate what I figured was an oil leak from the rear main seal or the oil pan. Ended up being the oil pan. After inspecting the transmission it looks like new..the torque converter is still a new looking blue color and the fluid looked like it came out of the bottle so I think the transmission is like new. In the oil pan I found out a lot of black plastic pieces some large some small from the tentioners which Im guessing were replaced by the looks of how many pieces I were in the pan. I figure the belts would be slapping around if this much of the tensioners were missing. I really dont know what Im looking for as far as the driveshaft being bad.. The car shifts perfect with no vibrations if you go fast off the line. When you take off normal is when I get the vibration. Next thing I will check is tires...mine dont look too healthy. I must say that this pan was a pain in the @$$!

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

Whoa! STOP DRIVING THE CAR NOW!!

I doubt the guides have been done if the peices are still in the pan. Especialy if the rtv around the covers is the blue/grey stock stuff.

porshapower

The rtv was definately blue on the oil pan. Could it be that they did the guides and said no way am going through the trouble to take the pan off? Do you mean there is rtv around the timing belt covers as well? Will I be able to see that? Havent really looked at the covers...easy to remove to see if they have been done? Thanks!

Jesda

I'd bet my Q that your guides have not been done. I dont think theyre causing your vibration, but you might want to stop driving anyway.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”