chain guides diy

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
awrightaz

I'm sorry. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but while enjoying the glow of success with my sunroof, I'm thinking "Wonder if the chain guides can be done, and why bother with removing the engine?"

So there it is. Has anyone done this as a weekend or two project in the home garage without removing the engine?

Many thanks guys. As always, this is incredibly helpful.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

What you seek is in the posts, grasshopper.

DougQ45
Car: Q45, porsche 928 S 5 speed

You don't need to pull the egine. Just remove the radioator, and shroud etc... Front cover... It can be done in one Saturday. Plenty of posts on how to do it.

awrightaz

Ahh, I've found the discussion by Daedalus and will set up to do this myself. Many thanks.

Once I'm in there, what conditions should I look for that would indicate chain replacement?

This Q has 127K.

And finally, the service records indicate a collapsed motor mount and oil pan reseal are needed. Can this be done without removing motor?

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Your chains don't need to be replaced and I don't think it is worth the extra work and expense required, unless you had to reseal your valve covers...then it might be worth it. My chains are at 217k and won't get replaced until 250k...the amount of stretch found between new and old will be interesting. Motor does not have to come out to replace motor mount and reseal oil pan, but it does have to be supported. The suspension crossmember supports the engine's weight and must be lowered to get to the oil pan.

awrightaz

OK then. I'll let you know how this all turns out.

And again, THANKS!!

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”