G50 FAQ... Owners please read/review/add

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

First off, please do not ask questions in this thread, i am making an entirely new sticky for the top, that will include all models and so forth...

please review this and tell me anything i missed

Other common issues: Please see our TECH HELP section for more information

(I already included information about the guides)* Injectors- For some reason the injectors are weak on this car. 4 of them can be replaced with the plenum on (the silver “spider” atop the engine). If the engine starts to shake at idle and you get a check engine light, most likely it is an injector. Visit Q45.org and check out the “ohm-ing injectors” article. Often times, one will find injector problems common in areas with bad gas. * MAF connector and sensor- Corrosion occurs on the connectors of the MAF, and causes a false reading, and ultimately a vibrating idle and drivability issues. An easy way to test this is to wiggle the connector at idle, and it the idle changes then you must clean it. If you are getting bucking or stalling, it can often be related to the MAF sensor, assuming that the fuel pump is ok. * Transmission cooler- Very necessary on the 90-93. The stock cooler is more of a “heater”. An external cooler is recommended to prolong life, as the main killer of a transmission is heat and not wear. The recommended cooler is a B&M part number 70268, and can be had at http://www.summitracing.com for about $60. See http://www.q45.org/trannycooler.html for installation instruction. * Knock sensors- The case of the knock sensors eventually crack and fail (usually around 120k) and this causes the computer to retard the timing 5* or so, causing decreased acceleration. If this is the case, you get to remove the plenum.

* Fuel pump- The fuel pump often fails on these cars, and whenever they do it.* Climate control display- Climate controller on the 90-93 Q45 often fail, it is just the display that fails. They can be rebuilt for about $100

94-96

Everything is applicable except for the following changes:

* The timing guide issue is not applicable; they came with the updated (metal-backed) guides * A softer suspension for a better ride (but in my opinion still very stellar handling) * Softer seats, traction control and other interior accents were added. * Exterior styling, with a grille and some other minor things. * Power headrests and tilt down mirrors in reverse * 1st gear starts were now standard, and a lowered 1st and 2nd gear to maintain smoothness

Basically all off the same issues EXCEPT the guides are there, except not really as bad. Injectors were restyled and are more reliable, but they still fail, especially in areas with iffy gas, California and Arizona being the worse. In most people’s opinion, these are overall the best Q45s to get because of the better reliability and lower cost to own, and more luxury. However its not by any stretch of the imagination gone drastic changes, its still very much a drivers car. If you had to visualize it, the 94-96 Q45 was closer to the luxury side than the performance side. Interestingly enough, most of the performance difference in the 90-93 and 94-95 Q45 is in the transmission gearing and ECU. One can attain nearly the same ¼ mile time in a 94-95 Q45 with an upgraded ECU as a 90-93 Q45 with an upgraded ECU.

RobertsnewQ

Upper linkstransmission mountslock timer module (90-93)valve cover leaks

swaybar end links (Y33 also)

CAS sensor connector (add to MAF connector paragraph) - same test. Wriggle and it dies.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Thanks robert.

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

spark plugs are a biatch

add that

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Later (1994-1996) G50 had automatic dimming rear view mirror, remote entry, car LAN, rotary disc injectors instead of single pintle injectors, dual ATF heat exchangers with external ATF filter (whoopee), fog lights, center console with storage and armrest, passenger side airbag, R134a refrigerant, thicker glass, I am sure I am forgetting some obvious things.

I thought only 3 injectors were readily available without removing the plenum. I guess I will have to look tomorrow.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Yeah your right (injectors), i actually edited that but i guess i pasted prior edit..

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

There's something missing under the fuel pump section. Also, I would put some bold reference to the timing chain guide issue - with a link to another thread about it...

It might also be worth mentioning that the only recommended spark plugs are OEM.

Heath

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Thanks heath, i just noticed that...... I think i meant to say, when they do fail they start buzzing...

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”