Do I have New Chain guide?

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
s2kysk

I been hearing horror story about the chain guide so called the dealer to see whether my Q has it or not, they told me there is no record of it so took one of members recommendation and removed little cover to see what I got...It looks like a metal piece supporting a plastic guide... I don't no what to look for so, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Young.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Young, So sorry about that...I started that whole mess. You need to read to the end of those threads. That is NOT a valid check. The guide you can see in that porthole was *always* metal-backed and identical to the ones you would get today in a chain guide kit. The guides that you need to see are to the right in that picture. What color is the RTV around the perimeter of the front timing cover?I'll post a pic....

DAEDALUS

http://home.socal.rr.com/robve...e.jpg

The guide you're looking at is the slack-side guide on the passenger-side engine bank. The guides that are redesigned are the tension-side guides. The one that almost always fails is the driver-side guide, I believe because it is closer to horizontal than the other one and feels more of the chain's weight.

s2kysk

Thanks DEADALUS,

So there is no easy way to checking it, and also most likely I have original chain guide than...I'll do some more search on this topic.

Thanks again,

Young.

DAEDALUS

Again, it's been pointed out that if you have light blue RTV around the timing cover and nothing else, then it's very likely the cover's never been off the car since leaving the factory.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”