chain guide parts list

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q45ver
Car: 91 G50, 56 Austin A90, 18 Toyota C-HR

I would appreciate some input on having my guides done. A friend of mine just had his done and I'm thinking of following close behind while it is still fresh in the mechanics mind. His was a 92 Q ( around a 100k I think)and they discovered one guide in two pieces but still intact. I have a 91Q that has obviously been in storage most of its life. The difference being the mileage on my engine. It is now at approx 30,000. well maintained miles and should need little in the way of replacement parts other than the guides and gaskets etc... Would the following parts list suffice, or is more recommended?

1x 13070-60U03 - chain tensioner (RH)

1x 13070-60U12 - chain tensioner (LH)

4x 13075-60U02 - tensioner bolts

1x 13079-60U01 - tensioner gasket (LH)

2x 13085-60U01 - tensioner guide

2x 13085-60U11 - chain guide

1x 13091-60U01 - guide (tension RH)

1x 13091-60U11 - guide (tension LH)

1x 13510-60U00 - front cover seal

:help

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

You always change the oil chain and its guide since they are cheap and critical and you will see it has stretched!

awrightaz

Is there a mileage interval when this work is recommended? Or is it time based?

Thanks.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Recommended two hours before guide fails!

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Back in 1997 we started warning our customers and recommeded that 7 years or 100k was the correct time not to say that a few didn't fail before then............thats how our techs convinced us to push the warning........they had done so many in Florida and Atlanta before T3 was created.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

And not that you don't see intact guides at 180k either, but do you really want to roll those dice with your car? Even if you don't lose the engine, better to do it sooner and have a better chance of *not* having to pay for an extra 4 hours to remove the oil pan to remove the pieces.

nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

just had mine replaced last week, with just over 99k miles on a 90. found the driver side guide totally gone, two pieces in oil pan, one wedged up near the chain. soooooo lucky they didn't lodge somewhere destructive or worse, have the chain jump. phew!!! get it done NOW if you plan on keeping her. jeffps-a month before a dealer tech and service manager both stuck their head in the engine and came up saying "it sounds fine, nothing to worry about"!

GseaQ

Hey Q45ver,

Glad to see you're still thinking about it.

And, hi to all the other members. It's been a long time since I participated and I'm glad to be back.

I thought I'd let all our buddies in the Pacific Northwest know about my technician. He's European and runs a family shop (Orlado Auto Service) that caters to high end marques. He does, however, get a lot of business from friends (we are long time friends), and friends of clients who then bring in more "ordinary" cars, even the odd Yugo. His daily driver is a 540i 6-speed. One recent trip in, he had a Rolls Royce waiting for a $370.00 Power Steering belt. We got it easy! He's done the complete chain and guide job on Mercedes' & Bmw's, and some Nissans.

Anyway, it was my car that just had the guides replaced (including the oil pump chain, sprocket & guides) at 175,000 kms (108,000 mi). All was OK except 1 on the drivers side which was broken in 2 pieces. It was a clean break and both pieces were still firmly attached. I REALLY got LUCKY!!! My car has been religiously maintained since new - the 1st 70,000 miles by the original selling dealer - the remaining 38,000 by my tech mentioned above (every 5,000 kms - 3,100 mi). Anybody's car that's been maintained even by the book is susceptible to broken guides. I've proven it.

I've talked to Darko (my tech) about this issue and the job. He has offered to do this job for any of you who want to come to Vancouver, spend a night or 2, do some shopping, etc. American dollars go a long way up here. If you drop your car off to him by the close of business one day (M-Th), he'll have it ready for you to pick up by next evening. You bring your parts that you bought from Infiniti of Scottsdale (best deal I know of - they put together a kit - includes timing chains, but just leave them out when you order) and he'll do the job for $900 USD. Make sure you bring ALL necessary parts. The parts cost and his labor combined is pretty close to T-3's, I believe. Sorry, Dennis. You guys are just too far away for us :sad . However, Darko has never let me down and is as fair and honest as the day is long :bowdown .

If anyone wants to check this out, just post here, send me an email or call Darko at 604-874-5665. Tell him you saw my story on NICO. He'll look after you.

Cheers for now,Glenn

:)

GseaQ

Hi all,

Just moving the message back into play for some who may have missed this opportunity.

Glenn
GseaQ wrote:Hey Q45ver,

Glad to see you're still thinking about it.

And, hi to all the other members. It's been a long time since I participated and I'm glad to be back.

I thought I'd let all our buddies in the Pacific Northwest know about my technician. He's European and runs a family shop (Orlado Auto Service) that caters to high end marques. He does, however, get a lot of business from friends (we are long time friends), and friends of clients who then bring in more "ordinary" cars, even the odd Yugo. His daily driver is a 540i 6-speed. One recent trip in, he had a Rolls Royce waiting for a $370.00 Power Steering belt. We got it easy! He's done the complete chain and guide job on Mercedes' & Bmw's, and some Nissans.

Anyway, it was my car that just had the guides replaced (including the oil pump chain, sprocket & guides) at 175,000 kms (108,000 mi). All was OK except 1 on the drivers side which was broken in 2 pieces. It was a clean break and both pieces were still firmly attached. I REALLY got LUCKY!!! My car has been religiously maintained since new - the 1st 70,000 miles by the original selling dealer - the remaining 38,000 by my tech mentioned above (every 5,000 kms - 3,100 mi). Anybody's car that's been maintained even by the book is susceptible to broken guides. I've proven it.

I've talked to Darko (my tech) about this issue and the job. He has offered to do this job for any of you who want to come to Vancouver, spend a night or 2, do some shopping, etc. American dollars go a long way up here. If you drop your car off to him by the close of business one day (M-Th), he'll have it ready for you to pick up by next evening. You bring your parts that you bought from Infiniti of Scottsdale (best deal I know of - they put together a kit - includes timing chains, but just leave them out when you order) and he'll do the job for $900 USD. Make sure you bring ALL necessary parts. The parts cost and his labor combined is pretty close to T-3's, I believe. Sorry, Dennis. You guys are just too far away for us :sad . However, Darko has never let me down and is as fair and honest as the day is long :bowdown .

If anyone wants to check this out, just post here, send me an email or call Darko at 604-874-5665. Tell him you saw my story on NICO. He'll look after you.

Cheers for now,Glenn

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

GseaQ wrote:And, hi to all the other members. It's been a long time since I participated and I'm glad to be back.

Cheers for now,Glenn

Welcome Back!

:crazy

GseaQ

Thanks, Greg. It's good to be back. :D

On another subject, I had to buy a battery today. Any members in BC take note - BCAA has a service called "Battery Assist" (members only). They brought me a fully charged Interstate 850CA battery for $130 CAD, installed for free - and in less than an hour. It has a 6 year warranty (18 months free & 54 months pro-rated). I figure in 3 years, when it gives up the ghost, I'll get another new one for $75 or less.

Glenn

don29

i am getting ready to do a timing chain on a 92 q 45 and i cant find a manual any where in my area can any one help me out

mxr662
Car: 1990 Q45 Desert Sand 81k Sold

As I have read in this forum, many rubber parts (bushings, hoses, etc) are brittle from age not miles. My q has a bit over 60000 and has always been garaged. It is quite hot here in the summers. When replacing my chain guides also replaced radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, belts, belt tensioners. Also added after market trans cooler. Probably overkill, but I have confidence in my cooling system during the hot summer.

My chain guides were intact but quite brittle. I'm glad the guides did not have to be removed from the oil pan.

Andy

Eskimo91q45
Car: 91 Q45
91 Grand Marquis

would this improve proformance after swaping the guides out

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”