swapping the s14 motor in your s13 write up

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
tonynalli

alright here we go

start off by looking at the car old motor and and wish it was working..i kno i didstart to drain your fluids...oil, radiator, and tranny fluid...there will be more that will come out of either the motor or the tranny...its called gravity..it happens.remove the intake and unplug the MAF[/img]https://forum-attachments.sfo2.digital ... 4.jpg[/img]pull out the radiator after all the fluids are drained. and remove the brake booster lineset your timing mark to TDC..and make sure your rotor is on the 1st cylynder like it is on this mark...notice the lines match up..mine does it and im note sure if your does...but be sure to mark it when its in and mark it when it popps out..it will twist..

unplug the injector wires and ever other plug and get it out of the way of the motor...make sure all the starter wires are out of the way and alternator also..dont forget with out this is just wont work...lol..jkremove ths tranny cross member and unplug and get any of the wires out of the way...dont forget you will need thisif you havnt already removed this then now is the easiest time to do so..unbolt the ac and the powerstering pump and get it out of tthe way..if you are going to keep the ac then dont remove it from the car, unless you plan on recharging the system...you wont need to remove the bracket from the ac pump till its out of the car...you can drain the ps fluid and get that out of the way..remove the bolts on your exaust manifold as you will be using it when you put the other motor in...dont forget to remove the egr pipe...get under the car and remove the 4 bolts that go into the rear end... and put out the drive shaft...get ready with a towel to catch the fluid that comes out of the end of it..remove the shifter out of the inside of the carsushi is a great lunch food..make sure you use this spot on your head to put the chain on to the hoist.make one last check to make sure you didnt forget anything...like heaterhose lines and any sensors off the motor, dont forget the motor mount nuts either..with a friends help have either him or you run the engine hoist and you get under the car and guide the tranny out of the hole...or if you just wanna pull the tranny off the motor you can do that..i chose to pull it out in a whole...and voilia its gone..make sure when you are guiding the motor out to check and double check 100 times to make sure there is nothing that is holding it down..its a big f'n mess...but now if you want to clean the enigne bay out with some cans of gunk.get the other motor in the air to make it easier to work on...now if you want to have AC then you will need to remove the bracket from your s13 motor and put it on your s14 block.also remove the temperature sensor along with the spade connector from teh s13 and put it in your new motoryou can weld in a nickle in the hole where the EGR pipe came out of..or just use jb weld.. to further strenghten the hold just screw the pipe "thingy" into the bung to make it hold better. and just leave it in..and do the same with where it goes into the intake...the heater hoses are in different locations then the s13 are...so you can reuse one of the hoses from the s13 and then you will jsut have to go and buy some heater hose from the parts store and run it into the side of the block.now carfully guide the motor and tranny into the car with the hoist..when its about half way in attach the heater hoses.you will need to do some playing around with the motor to get it to fit in right and then once one side is in then put the nut on the mount but only thread it down about 2-3 turns and get the other bolt in and tighten them down..now bolt up the PS pump and the ac and attacht the belts attach the manifold and tighten the nuts downattach the harness to teh injectors, tps, cas,temp sensor,and the alternator and starters wires...and any other wires i forgot to mentionattach all the hoses and insert the radiator and tighten everything down...reatach the tranny crossmember and plug all nessecary plugs in the tranny..and put the driveshaft back in and bolt it up to the differential..

now for the fun part..make sure you new motor is on TDC but checking pulling the no1 spark plug out and putting a screw driver in and cranking the crank over(or if you were smart and put it on TDC when the other distributor was in) and when the screw driver is all the way as high as it can go then your at tdc..make sure that you are on the I i I I I I the lower case is TDC...if you can visualize it...

put the distributor in..make sure you are on your marks and carfully slide her in...when its in put the bolts in but dont tightnen that all the way..

fill your tranny up with fluids and also your engine with oill..

now start filling the radiator with 100% radiator fluid...you will need to air out the system.. and unless you have some special tool to get all the air out then youll need to put 100% radiator fluid..with the cars front still up fil it up, as soon as the level goes down continue to fill it up...

connect the spark plug wires in the proper places and turn the key..and if you did it all right it should start up.

if not check all your sensors and plugs and wires...when if gets started up run the car and let the rad. fluid go down and keep filling it up.. when it get warm it will start to bubble over dont just think your done with that..turn on the heater to full blast and keep filling it..unscrew the screw on top where the upper rad. hose connects to the head and leave about 2 threads attached and keep doign it..this is why i told you to put 100 % in because you then want to fill it up with water, cause a lot will bubble out.. it may take up to an hour of filling it up..but be paitent..

when you are done take her for a spin and have fun...im sure there are some things that i missed in this write up justlet me kno as this is my first one that i have done before and i will edit it.. ohh one other thing..dont forget to have a tool ***** on hand at all times...they make it fun

Modified by tonynalli at 12:42 AM 12/15/2005

Modified by tonynalli at 1:56 AM 12/17/2005

Modified by tonynalli at 1:57 AM 12/17/2005

Modified by tonynalli at 2:40 AM 12/17/2005

Modified by tonynalli at 12:25 AM 2/20/2006
Modified by tonynalli at 12:25 AM 2/20/2006

240DRFT

why did u take out the driveshaft?

tonynalli

becuase i replaced the tranny while i was at it

Taylor
Car: Prelude, Sold. Explorer, Sold.

I swear, I don't look that gross in real life.

Nismo1182
Car: Z06

Hahaha thats when you know ur dun!

GhostDriver
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX RMS13

Good write up Tony. Hit me up if you want to go "driving" to break in the new motor.

tonynalli

im down just about any time to go and "break" **** in... you just have to be able to keep up.lol

Taylor
Car: Prelude, Sold. Explorer, Sold.

Shut up tony, you're slow.

tonynalli

im faster then you..yO

GhostDriver

You going to the intmo meeting tonite?

tonynalli

i think i will...just for ****s and giggles.. i have to thank chris for helping me out a little.. you kno what my car looks like..but its loud so you will be hear my roll up..if im not there ...are you going to go?

GhostDriver

I usually don't go but I have to pick up some shirts tonite. I don't expect to stay long because I don't really do anything.

You talking about Chris Leone? You know he's in NY right?

tonynalli

nope chris mickler...s14 ka-t..he usually drives his 300zx. he helped me pull the motor

Modified by tonynalli at 7:51 PM 12/17/2005

tonynalli

can this possbily be made a sticky???

xsblacksx

got a few questions the motor i am dropping in is just a plain rebuilt long block. It looked like you got a used motor from a donor s14, (iguess). so you have s14 specific intake manifold, exhaust etc, I have all of the s13 intake,exhaust etc,, i took out the scv's and youre saying to take out the PAIR valve, block off the egr ports, and from the pics it looked like you got rid of the evap canister. so, i can remove all this junk too? will it free up power and/or trip off the check engine light? aslo it looked like you rigged up the ac fan backwards or mine was put on backwards before I got it. is youre car running good? also, i F'd up pulling my distributor off is there a way i can zero it back without test firing the motor? good write up hope your car runns well peece out

tonynalli

first of all the motor that i used was from a 95 s14...and the manifold is the exact same as the s13...common misconception...the evap cannister has been gone for a while too...its wont free up power but it will clear up your engine bay a little as you dont need them...and the check engine light will not go on..

thats just a different radiator fan on my car...nothing really special.. my car runs absolutly wonderful and i couldnt ask for anything better...well mabey boost but..thats later....

to get your distributor back just figure out where the no 1 cylinder is and your there..all you need to make suer is that your engine is at TDC... then the distributor is about at 10 oclock so what you need to do is rotate it backwards a little bit due to it twisting when you put it on..

Driftless240
Car: 1991 Hatchback

Well I'm just happy my S13 came with the S14 Motor in it already

xsblacksx

right on man, if i sound stupid i apologize i just have a bunch o money tied up in this and i want be certain about what im doing. props again later

da9er
Car: 1997 nissan 240sx kouki

why did you block off the egr pipe? don't you need that? i'm in middle of a 95 motor into 93 s13 right now and i was just wondering if i should do that as well..

da9er
Car: 1997 nissan 240sx kouki

what is that black box w/ the hose that comes out and goes into the downpipe that you said "you can remove this now"... do you put that back in or did you scrap it? and if so, what do you do w/ the plugs that are suppose to go in it?

help

Mikoriad
Car: 93 240sx fastback

I need more pics of the girl, that'll finish this up this nicely

RazoE
Car: 1989 Toyota Supra

da9er wrote:what is that black box w/ the hose that comes out and goes into the downpipe that you said "you can remove this now"... do you put that back in or did you scrap it? and if so, what do you do w/ the plugs that are suppose to go in it?

help
i think that's the AIV system.

mine was burnt through, and belching out black smoke, so i took it off, and plugged the lines, and the car ran way better..

sileighty85
Car: 1992 240sx Fastback SE

nice write up.

tonynalli

Mikoriad wrote:I need more pics of the girl, that'll finish this up this nicely
ill have to find some more...her name is tay tay rhonda....

Idahos13
Car: 93 240sx hatchback

Hi im probably about to do this and i was wondering if you need the s14 wire harness or will my 93 wire harness hook up fine?

rosgonz25

hey im doing this swap this weekend and i was wondering, if i use the s14 transmission can i still use the s13 harness and ecu, being that the s14 transmission has a CAS? Do i just leave the sensor in and just leave it unplugged or will i have to use a s13 transmission? will it run fine with no problems?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”