vq35de in a 240sx?

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
the_ace
Car: 240sx 90

hey guys, question: is it possible to swap a vq35de from a g35 oe 350z with manual transmission into a 240sx? s13?

i know someone swapped an engine from maxima 04 into a sentra specV in calgary canada.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

With enough time and money?Absolutely.

It'd require a ton of custom fab. The VQ35 is a very wide engine.

gepeto
Car: 1995 S14

the_ace: I know some dude close to Montreal is swapping a 3.0l in his S13 (he competes in GTU so he can't have a turbo and he has to stay 3.0l and under) but with a 350z 6spd tranny..

I went go karting with another guy around who has an RB26DETT in his s14 and he's gonna help him do the swap..He says basically the drive by wire will have to be bypassed and other things like that, also you'll need a megasquirt or a obd1 ecu or something..

I also think the shifter has an extesion on it (like a rod shifter at the end of the tranny) which will need to be shortened by a few inches..

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Personally, i would go with a VG30DETT in the S13/S14 before Id go with a VQ35.....

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

elwesso wrote:Personally, i would go with a VG30DETT in the S13/S14 before Id go with a VQ35.....
Theose are easier to soruce for sure....

Not sure on the weights, but neither engine setup will be lighter than the RB26Dett..or have as much aftermrket support for serious power.

-Chet

amerikajin
Car: s13's s14's lots of chevys and titan rb26dett s14 vq35de s14 sr20det s14

we are working on right now...vq35de in an s14.

rudedrift
Car: 240sx

sweet. i cant wait to read more.

cdlong
Car: '95 240sx

Exar-Kun wrote:neither engine setup will be lighter than the RB26Dett
you think an iron block twin turbo charged I6 will be lighter than a NA all aluminum V6? even with the difference in displacement, i doubt it.

there are a couple of guys on freshalloy doing the swap right now.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Turbonetics had one on display at the Z and G open house. It wasn't complate yet, but they had it mounted in the engine bay of an S14. I've been contemplating doing this myself as I'd like to do it in a manner to get it approved by a BAR referee and have a street legal near 300 HP 240sx. But time would definitely be an issue for me so I'm a bit reluctant. It will be a big project. to make it street legal, it would need to be using the drive-by-wire system and the corresponding ECU. Adapting it to the stock guages and converting the 240sx fuel system to be returnless would present a few challanges as well. I would have loved to talk to the guy at turbonetics that is working on the project, but he was a bit busy at the time.

C-Kwik

cdlong wrote:
you think an iron block twin turbo charged I6 will be lighter than a NA all aluminum V6? even with the difference in displacement, i doubt it.

there are a couple of guys on freshalloy doing the swap right now.
Even though it's aluminum, a V6 has a lot of material. The block itself is much wider to accomodate 2 banks of cylinders. There are 2 heads, and while both are shorter, there is still much more material used. Now I don't know the weights of either, so this isn't to say which is heavier, but a V6 is indeed heavier than an I6 of the same materials. An aluminum V6 might even be heavier than an iron I6.

cdlong

C-Kwik wrote:Even though it's aluminum, a V6 has a lot of material. The block itself is much wider to accomodate 2 banks of cylinders.
i don't believe that. first of all, the driveshaft is shorter. it might not save much weight, but it certainly isn't heavier. if you imagine taking an I6 block and cutting it in half and joining it on a common crank like a V engine, there will be a good ammount of material that overlaps. the V shape is naturally stiffer because of compressed nature of the layout. you can use less material because of the inherent stiffness thus making it even lighter. width doesn't make a difference, an I6 is longer, but dimensions don't change anything, just how much material is used.
C-Kwik wrote:There are 2 heads, and while both are shorter, there is still much more material used.
V6 heads and an I6 head cut in half are virtually the same except for the extra cam gears and whatnot. the V6 parts would weigh more, but not much.
C-Kwik wrote:Now I don't know the weights of either, so this isn't to say which is heavier, but a V6 is indeed heavier than an I6 of the same materials. An aluminum V6 might even be heavier than an iron I6.
for the reasons i stated i bet a V6 and an I6 of the same material are very close in weight. however, if you take off two turbos and make the block aluminum, the VQ will certainly be lighter. the only thing the VQ has going against it is the displacement.

i'd have to see some hard numbers to really be sure though.

DanCouga
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx

If anyone is thinking of trying it, now is your chance. Looks to be a very good deal.

C-Kwik

Personally, I'd rather try to find a complete wrecked Z or G35 to do this with. There are a lot of electronics needed, particularly if you wanted to get by CARB certification. Plus, you may have the opportunity to test on a vehicle a little to check compatibility of some of the components. And if you happen to get a 03-04 6 speed G35 coupe or a track Z, you might be able to pull of the bremobs as well. Not sure how much salvage would go for on a car like that, but I would definitely try.

fredb

Did it, done it, heck still doing it as we speak.

http://www.engineswaptech.com/....aspx

allen

S13 Charlie

WOW!!

You are a god among insects!!! All that, and a custom intake manifold too! Beautiful work bud, it looks like you really planned this swap out. And all those people who are worried about the weight of a v6, look how far back in the bay that engine sits. That is going to be one sweet ride when it's done. Are you in socal? If so, I'd love to check out your car when it's done.

cheers,C

cesar240sx
Car: 93/240sx turbo/nitros

hi i am new here ,now i am doing the vq35de swap into s13.this the first time i see one into the s14,i looked into the swap of vq30de of maxima i was great. but did vq35de is harder swap cause of the ignition sys. nats ,and the vtc control..i would like to ask you FREDB,doer the exhaust cleared the steering linkage,and what type of motor mount u used,the original ka mount hit the starter.i work for nissan dealer and this what i do for living.

952FourtyEssex
Car: 95 240SX

Fredb got it running yet?

cesar240sx
Car: 93/240sx turbo/nitros

hi guys, after some research,i start doing the swap .vq35de into s13..its going to take some time ..trans in place and engine mounts done..next i am waiting for z headers hopefully will clear the steering rod w/o modifications.i dought it i think this going to be the hardest part....

hecktic one
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx

wow i should go on this forum more often! im also doing this swap, hey now i have some people i can relate to....

gyfer

cdlong wrote:i'd have to see some hard numbers to really be sure though.
You can do google search to find out.I6 is indeed much lighter. In design, V6 require counter-balance in crankshaft oppose to I6. The extra weight also comes from bigger head (2 of them actually), double cylinder block, timing belt/chain component, oil/water runner, wider intake & exhaust manifold, and etc.

Naturaly, Inline design also have less "vibration" compare to V design.V design are not any stiffer, nor need less material for the engine design. Inline unique layout balance one piston to another, which does not require any balancer. Vertical and tranverse foces also completely balance by one another, which result almost zero force. However, V6 need couter rotating shaft to suppress vibration. V6 has more energy loss because it duplicates valve gears and camshafts, and use of 2 cylinder bank leads to more heat loss. (engine efficiency) Ultimately, I6 is more efficient, yet smoother.

Despite all of the cons of V6, V6 has shoter and a little wider engine. Easier to implement & fit in wide variety of cars, thus you can find VQ35DE in Altima, Maxima, 350Z, Murano, FX35, G35, Quest & lots of other Nissan. You can almost never fit a I6 for FWD.

Don't believe Inline is better ? 2004 Wards Auto annually "10 best engines" in the world, 5 out of 10 engines is Inline, including BMW 330series, and M3.

the_ace

is it really worth it in the end??

300hp na

vs 320+ hp from........ maybe tt rb??

cdlong

gyfer wrote:Don't believe Inline is better ? 2004 Wards Auto annually "10 best engines" in the world, 5 out of 10 engines is Inline, including BMW 330series, and M3.
i didn't say anything about better, we were talking about weight.

i know all about Wards Auto, i also know that the VQ has been on there a number of times.

you didn't really say anything to other than the vibration issue that would make much difference. until i see both of them on a scale, i won't be convinced.

fredb

S13 Charlie wrote:WOW!!

You are a god among insects!!! All that, and a custom intake manifold too! Beautiful work bud, it looks like you really planned this swap out. And all those people who are worried about the weight of a v6, look how far back in the bay that engine sits. That is going to be one sweet ride when it's done. Are you in socal? If so, I'd love to check out your car when it's done.

cheers,C
Wow man, thanks for the compliments!

I'm still working on this project, updates can be seen at http://www.engineswaptech.com

I got it running on the MegaSquirt standalone but it's not tuned yet, still working out the bugs so to speak.

The LH exhaust manifold has to be modified to clear the shaft, it almost clears but not quite.

It's gonna be featured in SCC in a couple months, keep an eye out for that.

I'd like to invite all you guys that are attempting this swap over to my site. Please log in and post up about your project. I'm trying to get all of us together on one site so we can compare and help each other out. http://www.engineswaptech.com

thanks!Fred

MaxedOutR34

Thats just plain awesome. I wish I had the money and time to swap in a vq35de into my s13. nice work. Keep us posted.

the_ace

great work pure genius!

also, i saw a 280z with the whole interior and mechancial bay from 350z!!

lemme try to find some pics!

the_ace

one

the_ace

two

Nismo_Dj
Car: 97 red se kouki

the_ace wrote:is it really worth it in the end??

300hp na

vs 320+ hp from........ maybe tt rb??
--to some ppl it might not be worth it, but when it comes to originality its worth it. rb26dett swaps has been done numorous times, im sure there are onli handfuls of this kinda swap done. props to him and also yeah keep us updated, im also lookin forward to seein how this comes out. i think its more of tryin to be original than anythin else. and also u could look at this from a domestic p.o.v. is modyfyin ur 4cyl nissan/honda or any imports worth it when u could get a v8

Nismo_Dj
Car: 97 red se kouki

fredb wrote:
Wow man, thanks for the compliments!

I'm still working on this project, updates can be seen at http://www.engineswaptech.com

I got it running on the MegaSquirt standalone but it's not tuned yet, still working out the bugs so to speak.

The LH exhaust manifold has to be modified to clear the shaft, it almost clears but not quite.

It's gonna be featured in SCC in a couple months, keep an eye out for that.

I'd like to invite all you guys that are attempting this swap over to my site. Please log in and post up about your project. I'm trying to get all of us together on one site so we can compare and help each other out. http://www.engineswaptech.com

thanks!Fred

hey man if u dont mind me askin how much would u say in total u will have to spend? the reason i ask is cuz im thinkin about that swap too

nismo dreaming
Car: 1996 240sx LS1

OMFG!! That is one amaizing looking swap you got goin there. +1 for the s14 and +1 for the custom intake manifold. There is some real genius going into that one. Make sure to keep all of us posted on the further updates of the install. Dont forget to give us a video with that thing runnin too!!

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”