*DIY-TEST* Redline Water Wetter's Anti-Corrosion Capabilities

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

It is Thanksgiving and I am stuck at work, instead of being at home. Yes, college kids are expandable. Anyways, I am bored, I had the pics on the laptop, so here is a thread for you guys. As for Water Wetter's temperature lowering capabilities; well I will test it later,(it involves attaching temperature sensors in couple places to engine block, head, and one in the coolant) maybe when I get some expensive car that requires much more attention. NSX maybe. We'll see.

* Click the images for larger view for inspection.

I did test its anti-corrosion capabilities. Test specs:

1) Two bolts were sanded little and washed with a soap to remove any oil.

2) Two cups with tap water, one contained of 10% Redline Water Wetter.

3) Each bolt/liquid in the water were shaken every week to simulate engine coolant environment.(as if liquid would circulate in the cooling system)

Day 0: (Both bolts are clean, no instantaneous visible corrosion)

Day 7: (Bolt in the regular tap water shows moderate signs of corrosion taking place)

Day 28: (Four weeks after, Complete domination by water wetter solution. Bolt in the regular tap water is showing excessive corrosion, small corroded particles saturating the water. Bolt in the water wetter solution shows no signs of corrosion.)

Lesson: When using 100% water in your cooling system, you must absolutely have to run some kind of anti-corrosive solution.

Some people(including me) run 70/30 water/antifreeze in the summer. This is a must.

* I also do acknowledge that most cooling systems use diltilled water(pure H20, obtained through evaporation at high temperatures). And no, I am not going to perform this test again with distilled water. Becuase it would take a little longer for the bolts to corrode.
Modified by sanioll at 6:24 PM 11/24/2005

240DRFT

wow thats pretty cool...ive been meaning to pick some of that stuff up. nice little experiment

Jesda

Awesome!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

+1 for WW.

I run distilled water, 2 bottles of WW, and 1/3 gallon antifreweze (for lubrication).

PoorManQ45

Could you try that same thing using aluminum nuts please

good results though

Way to waste a few $ of WW

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Sweet. I'm running 1 bottle of WW, then the rest is probably 60/40 water/coolant, this test makes me feel better. Then again, my stuff is aluminum, so it's not as much of an issue anyway.

Actually, the exhaust side of elturbo is iron... hmm...

Anyway, cool test.

sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

PoorManQ45 wrote:Could you try that same thing using aluminum nuts please

good results though

Way to waste a few $ of WW
you have mental issues.

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

lol don't mind him. I don't think he realizes that this experiment was done with tea cups....

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

doesnt take heat into account, its a good basic test but heat *can* alter results drasticaly due to it acting as a catalyst. i trust WW to do what it says, so heat shouldnt affect it, but should still be taken into account.

PoorManQ45

navysnail wrote:doesnt take heat into account, its a good basic test but heat *can* alter results drasticaly due to it acting as a catalyst. i trust WW to do what it says, so heat shouldnt affect it, but should still be taken into account.
Yep, to take this into consideration, just use metal containers with air tight lids(to increase pressure), and build a fire and put the containers on a grill above it. Just keep the fire going for awhile. I don't think you'd be able to keep it going for 4 weeks though.
sanioll wrote:you have mental issues.
Your point?
w1ngzer0 wrote:lol don't mind him. I don't think he realizes that this experiment was done with tea cups....
Oh, I thought they were larger then that

Return to “General Chat”