M35 / 45 DVD Hack-Is there a way to watch DVDs while you drive?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
ChiB

Has anyone been able to figure out a way to play or watch a movie while the car is in motion and the parking brake is disengaged. I noticed that in past topics people have figured out a way to cut wires and put in a switch. I am looking for a way to achieve watching movies while the car is in motion without potentially voiding my warranty by cutting wires etc. Please let me know if anyone has been successful.I did have a Cadillac CTS-V with nav/DVD and there was a way to press 2 of the nav buttons while releasing the brake, this made it possible to watch a movie while driving. Just wondering if there is something similar to this method for the Infiniti M.

Thanks

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi!

As far as I know, the only way is the one that has been posted and requires wiring modifications. If there is a way to do it without this, I would be surprised!

I suspect that Infiniti would be awfully concerned about the legal fallout if someone were to have an accident while driving and watching a movie! And, so, they did not put this capability in!

Z

russg

Personally, I'd be much more concerned about voiding my life and the lives of others than voiding my warranty as a result of defeating the inability of the in-dash display panel to play movies while the vehicle is in motion.

Jesda

Would I have seen you at the Caddy forum?

Scott in Houston
Car: M35 Sport, 996 Twin Turbo, Ford Explorer

I've done it. It's awesome.

I don't watch movies myself, but my wife does while on a long trip.Also, the biggest reason I did it... I'm able to use all Navigation and other functions while in motion. It's so annoying to have those gray'ed out while driving so that my passenger can't even do a new destination or whatever.Now we can.

The hack was pretty simple.

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Scott in Houston wrote:I've done it. It's awesome.

I don't watch movies myself, but my wife does while on a long trip.Also, the biggest reason I did it... I'm able to use all Navigation and other functions while in motion. It's so annoying to have those gray'ed out while driving so that my passenger can't even do a new destination or whatever.Now we can.

The hack was pretty simple.
I have a M35 sport too, are you at liberty to say how you did it? I am not so concerned about the movies, but you are 200% right on the nav/directions, etc. It would be a big help to get new venues etc, while still driving on the highway.

szh

Scott in Houston wrote:I've done it. It's awesome.

I don't watch movies myself, but my wife does while on a long trip.
Hmmm ... doesn't it distract you in the driver's seat though?
Scott in Houston wrote:Also, the biggest reason I did it... I'm able to use all Navigation and other functions while in motion. It's so annoying to have those gray'ed out while driving so that my passenger can't even do a new destination or whatever.Now we can.
Now that makes sense! When I travel and use the Neverlost in the Hertz cars, they give you one warning in the beginning and then you can adjust the functions when driving. I am cautious about it, but do prefer to be able to do it.
Scott in Houston wrote:The hack was pretty simple.
Same as what we have posted here before right? Requires wiring changes as I recall ... not selectable from the buttons.

Z

szh

And, oh yes, welcome to NICO!

Please post pictures of your car and the driving experience when you get a moment.

P.S. I am going to remove the other duplicate thread about this topic. It asks the same question.

Z

Scott in Houston
Car: M35 Sport, 996 Twin Turbo, Ford Explorer

It can distract you in the driver's seat. I just have to use caution and concentrate on driving.

Yes, it requires cutting of wires and insertion of a switch. When I get a chance, I'll post pics of my car and the switch.

If you want instructions, I can post a link to another board that describes the process. Is that ok to do since it's a 'competing' Infiniti board?

Using the nav functions is so huge. The only down side is that if you're moving, and you flip the switch, the car thinks you're standing still. Then when you flip it back, it can take a few minutes before it 'resets' your position to the correct spot.

szh

Scott in Houston wrote:If you want instructions, I can post a link to another board that describes the process. Is that ok to do since it's a 'competing' Infiniti board?
We already have instructions here too! There is an older post that describes it all!
Scott in Houston wrote:Using the nav functions is so huge. The only down side is that if you're moving, and you flip the switch, the car thinks you're standing still. Then when you flip it back, it can take a few minutes before it 'resets' your position to the correct spot.
Sounds like a fair trade-off to be able to change the Nav when moving!

Z

ChiB

Thanks all for the responses!

fordav

Hi; I just took delivery of my M45 and it is FRUSTRATING not to be able to modify the NAV while driving!! What is the fix??''And does anyone know how to direct wire a Valentine detector; I did it on my BMW but don't know anything about the wiring in the M45.

Thanks for the help

David

szh

fordav wrote:I just took delivery of my M45 and it is FRUSTRATING not to be able to modify the NAV while driving!! What is the fix?? 'And does anyone know how to direct wire a Valentine detector; I did it on my BMW but don't know anything about the wiring in the M45.
Welcome to NICO, David!

There are some recent posts here that go over the details of modifying the system. Please look at these posts and see what they say!

In regards to wiring in the Valentine, it surely can be done! Since I do not have the 2006 M, I have not looked at what it takes (and it is probably different from my 2003 M45!)

You will need the Service Manual for the car for the electrical wiring diagrams. If you have a reasonable high-speed access to the Internet, you can download the Manual files (more than one!) in PDF format from http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/. It costs $20 for "a one day login session". Please also remember to get all the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) to see if there is anything relevant for your model year!

When you get a chance, please post pictures of your car, and, if you do spend the effort to wire in your Valentine (I love mine, btw!), please post the info details here at NICO. Pictures taken during process would be very cool!

Again, welcome to NICO!

Z

SonzofGod
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45

Can this DVD hack be done on a 02 Q45? thanksNick

waldis

we should make that DIY a sticky and put it on the top of the forum. so many people asking for this mod.

szh

waldis wrote:we should make that DIY a sticky and put it on the top of the forum. so many people asking for this mod.
Point. I will look into it.

Z

whitem45
Car: 2006 M45

Hi,

I just picked up my 06 M45 in Houston a week ago, and I am also facing the same problem that DVD video will not show when the car is in motion. I really appreciate if you can tell me where did you go in Houston to have the problem fix.

Thanks

jdb53

How can we find out about this mod? My complaint is not being able to watch movies but one cannot even start a music/concert video without stopping.

datistat
Car: 2006 M35x

Where are the instructions on how to do this mod to the dvd player....I want to do it but Can't find instruntions on how to do it ?

hwbarnesjr
Car: M35x

Hello everyone. Just purchased a M35x 2007 and love it but, I wanted to as ask. Could someone please tell me how I can use my dvd player while driving? I had been looking around on how to hook it up but no success. Thanks.

Trigger_57
Car: 2007 M35 Sport

Hello all,

I just purchased my 2007 M35 Sport and also am curious about the mod.

Many posters mentioned other posts that outline the mod, but no links were added. I will search the forums, but if anyone gets this soon, please post a link to the instructions.

Thanks,Trigger

EAC
Car: 1993 FD3S

Is the DVD available on the 03 M45's ?

pbonis
Car: 2007 m35x

Did you ever find a way??

[email protected]

Thanks

scjconsulting
Car: 2009 G37x

I have decided that when when I am driving, I will stay away from all other M35s and M45s. They all seem to be watching movies or messing with their navagation systems while driving.

ice_ninja
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

I've been unable to find the instructions that you indicated were available in an older thread. Can you provide the precise link?

Thanks.

szh

ice_ninja wrote:I've been unable to find the instructions that you indicated were available in an older thread. Can you provide the precise link?

Thanks.
Here you go: zerothread/133024!

Z

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

scjconsulting
scjconsulting wrote:I have decided that when when I am driving, I will stay away from all other M35s and M45s. They all seem to be watching movies or messing with their navagation systems while driving.
I support you on this!tk

infinitym35x

did u ever get a way to watch movies on dash NAv screen while driving? if so, can u share

EL MALO
Car: INFINITI M45

if you want to watch you dvd while you drive just go to a adio shop and tell them that you want to rig it they chareg me like $25.

szh

Sorry, folks. The information post vanished somehow. I will recreate it and report back ...

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”