dvd nav

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mfortyfive
Car: m45

don't know if this has been mentioned before on any posts, but will the dvd nav system accept dvds with a little tweaking?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

There is ... let me find the post and link it in.

Please be careful and do not watch movies while driving! I'd hate to lose members that way!

Z

szh

Here you go!!

Z
EdH1 from FA wrote:Ok, here are the pics I promised. Geez - <2 weeks with the M45, and I've manage to (probably) void the warranty :-)I also created a quick diagram in MS Paint that shows how the DPDTswitch gets wired up. Forgive the artwork and image edits - not agraphics guy.With this setup you can toggle between DVD playing or standard,default mode. GPS updates on the Nav screen will only operate instandard mode. It appears that in DVD mode, you also have full Navsystem options available - I did not see anything greyed out whiledriving. Hope this helps.-EdDISCLAIMER: This is for information purposes only, and should neverbe done on a street vehicle. I am not responsible for any damage. Useat your own risk!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Thanks for posting, Z

sd83chs

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused though. I have two DVD units in my 2006 M35 - one in the dash glovebox and another in the box between the seats. I was told the one in the dash glovebox holds the NAV ROM disk, and the other is for DVD music or videos. However, DVD videos can only be viewed on the display while the car is in park. Is the hack you posted good for the dash unit or the one between the seats?

Thanks,SD

szh

sd83chs wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused though. I have two DVD units in my 2006 M35 - one in the dash glovebox and another in the box between the seats. I was told the one in the dash glovebox holds the NAV ROM disk, and the other is for DVD music or videos. However, DVD videos can only be viewed on the display while the car is in park. Is the hack you posted good for the dash unit or the one between the seats?
Welcome to NICO!

It is for the dash unit, I believe. I would still strongly advise: please be careful and do not view DVD's while driving ... the car being in park is a good thing, imho. I posted the instructions for information, not as a personal recommendation!

Z

sd83chs

In another forum the same diagram is posted and it says it is for the DVD unit in the center console. Now I'm even more confused. My understanding is this is for cars with factory installed DVD audio or video, which is not the NAV ROM DVD drive in the glove box. But, then again, who really knows because it is not clear. I think there might be some who just have the dash unit (glove box) and others who have both like me. I believe this is where the confusion lies.

BTW, I have no interest in watching movies while driving, but my passenger will enjoy it on our long road trips. Funny though, I think the moving map display is just as hazardous as a movie would be. I have to force myself not to stare at the display too long.

SD

szh

sd83chs wrote:In another forum the same diagram is posted and it says it is for the DVD unit in the center console. Now I'm even more confused. My understanding is this is for cars with factory installed DVD audio or video, which is not the NAV ROM DVD drive in the glove box. But, then again, who really knows because it is not clear. I think there might be some who just have the dash unit (glove box) and others who have both like me. I believe this is where the confusion lies.
Ah! Could be. I guess I am confused then!

Quote »Funny though, I think the moving map display is just as hazardous as a movie would be. I have to force myself not to stare at the display too long.[/quote]Possibly. But, the sound and moving action might be a bit more distracting, I'd think.

Since I use the Hertz Neverlost a lot (multiple business trips a month,) I guess I have become more blase about it and do not watch that Nav display anymore - just let the voice guidance tell me what to do. Admittedly, I do not have a Nav display in my M45, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

waldis

so if i dont want to toggle btw the standard / factory mode and want to always keep it so my passenger can watch dvd movies while i drive, then in thise case, do i just have to cut the two wires and dont have to use the switch?

if so, do i have to connect the two wires together? any grounding wires? thanks!

jshattner

First: To clear up confusion, the modification is for the glove box Nav DVD unit. I'm not sure what (if anything) you do if you only have the MES without Nav.

Second: Cutting the pink wire and grounding the side that comes from the DVD unit will only accomplish part of the desired change. Cutting the green wire will do the rest. However, two issues arise without the switch installed: 1) any diagnostics that may be required by the service tech on your parking barke, Nav system, etc. may not work effectively, and 2) The Nav system depends on the motion sensor (green wire) to tell it to do "dead reckoning" (i.e., figuring out where you are even when sat signal is blocked). If you leave the wire cut, or when the switch is "on", you'll lose this functionality.

waldis

i see. your second point makes good sense as of why there should be a switch then. i will just follow the DIY.

also, i have nav and all i want to do is to be able to watch movies while the car is moving and this modification is for that, correct? will this also allow me to use my telephone dial pad on the nav screen while the car is moving?

thanks

jshattner

This mod will let you watch DVD's while moving on the Nav screen. Not a great idea for the driver, so be careful. As for the second part of your question, I haven't done the hack yet (just got my M and I've been traveling pretty much since), but I'm planning it soon.

My guess (and hope) is that it will enable all the menus that are normally blocked/greyed when the car is in motion. That would include the phone stuff. I'm pretty certain that the phone menus and functions should all be accessible when the hack is active since they're also run from the same bluetooth module as the Nav DVD.

Maybe someone who's actually using the mod can confirm...

waldis

ok, thanks so much for the clarification. i am not going to watch the dvd movies when the car is moving.....this is just for the passengers.

however, the second part of my question (regarding of the telephone menu being grayed out) that is a mod that i would like to do for myself because sometimes the car is moving maybe just 2-3 mph and i am trying to search for things (or maybe dial a number) and it won't let me do it. i think that is really annoying because moving at 2-3 mph is still under the safe range imo.

not sure how it has to be done, but this is what i found on the other forum on a lexus:

http://my.is/forums/showthread...+hack

good luck with it and let us know how it turned out. thank you!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

szhosain wrote:Since I use the Hertz Neverlost a lot (multiple business trips a month,)
Don't ever speed with rental navigation units because they will record your travel history and issue fines based on that history.

szh

maxnix wrote:Don't ever speed with rental navigation units because they will record your travel history and issue fines based on that history.
Oh, yes, I know! My company network does the tracking for these rental car companies too. Kinda "hoist by my own petard" kind of situation.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”