Forged rod brand choices

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
fiznat
Car: Grown up :(

Okay, the time is coming close to decide what kind of rod I am going to go with in the new engine. I'm sure at least a few others of you guys are looking as well, so I thought we should discuss the pros and cons of the various forged rod choices that are out there.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between Pauter Machine and Crower rods. It seems that these are the most popular choices between the high-horsepower KA's out there. I understand Eagle is maybe in the process of putting out a rod for the KA, but theyve been "almost done" for a looong time now.

I'm wondering what experiences you guys have had with these rods, what you reccomend and if there is anything in particular you think we should pay attention to when selecting a good connecting rod to use.

Structure240sx

i have pauter rods in my engine with a little over 30,000miles on it and no issues.

i never have looked into rods since i got a great deal with my engine

TheOne
Car: 93 240sx FB

phat-kat uses pauter rods i believe.

duncan351
Car: S14 KA-T

Duy ran Crowers on his 10 sec KA. I am running Crowers as well.You won't loose which ever one you choose. I would go with who ever has the best deal. Neither one will break. Then theres the rods considered to be the best of the best, corrillo. These aren't mentioned often due to the price (about 250 each).

Craving4Boost
Car: 91 240sx fastback

yeah its not like cams where diff ones yield diff powers. they were all made to handle the power so just go with the cheapest of the best

fiznat

Talked with my machine shop guy about it today. He said that the quality between the two are very similar (both are excellent), although Pauter tends to have much better customer service + help with various parts. He said that if there is ever a problem with a rod, or if you need a small part/info etc, Cower will leave you hanging for a very long time and give you the run around. Pauter, by comparison, is a small shop with top of the line customer service.

Comparing 2 brands of what he calls equal quality and similar price, customer service should make the difference. I will be using Pauter.

HolyShiznit
Car: Working on my car

TheOne™ wrote:phat-kat uses pauter rods i believe.
They use Crower's actually, I would use the Crower's too if I ever opened my motor back up. They seem to run a lil cheaper than the Pauter's.

duncan351
Car: S14 KA-T

yea, but Fiznat brought up a good point. I can testify Crower Customer Service sucks a hard one. On the contrery though, there isn't much that can go wrong with a rod. Either works or it breaks usually. Not much of in between.

TheOne
Car: 93 240sx FB

HolyShiznit wrote:They use Crower's actually, I would use the Crower's too if I ever opened my motor back up. They seem to run a lil cheaper than the Pauter's.
oh, i though they just used Crower cams, not the rods, i though since they give an option to put pauter rods when you want to buy their built engine.

also good point there fiz, better customer services is a good thing.(in a lot of places)

veilside180sx

You have to notch the block for the Pauter's to clear the block at the bottom, where the Crowers you don't. Take that for what it's worth too.

fiznat

veilside180sx wrote:You have to notch the block for the Pauter's to clear the block at the bottom, where the Crowers you don't. Take that for what it's worth too.
I have never heard of that one before, nor did my machinist mention it. Let me doublecheck on that...

veilside180sx

As previously posted by Ivan at phatka-t.com as well

As far as I see things, there is no reason to run the Pauter rods over Crower rods. The Crower rods are less money, weigh less, and need no modifications to the block to use. The Pauter rods come too close to the bottoms of the cylinders which needs to be clearanced.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I'll pay for better service everytime. The fact that your mechanic buddy reccomends Pauter is enough for me. I was thinking an H-bean rod but the Pauter's are pretty damn good. Having customer service is the last nail in the coffin for me.

WD

SSS

Personally i will be going with custom rods from ridgecrest rods, they are a small custom manufacturer about 30mins from me.

They mainly do drag car stuff, but will custom make rods. They can also do rods in titanium, which i will be pricing

toki

This just in, Eagle still doesn't have a release date for the KA rods, ***holes won't even give me a straight story about a timeframe.

I hate eagle so much. "4-6 weeks" 4 months ago.

rn240sx
Car: 12 Frontier V6 (supercharged)
98 240sx ka-t (fully built)
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

I spoke with my machine shop guy and he told me that Pauter were the best from his experience. He also told me that Crower is supposed to be the best, BUT he has seen 2 sets of rods snap in half in 2 different motors...He has yet to see a Pauter rod break... But that does not mean that they wont break... So i am and WAS gonna go with Pauter, but i cant seem to find anyone that has them in nor willing to order a set for me...

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Yo maybe we can start a group buy.Hmm for us enjuku is down here.My friend jsut got sponsored by a shop down here...Think they specialize is rice thouhg.They want to sponsor I think.Hmm our on sponsor may be able to snag us a deal let me hit him up on AIM...

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

IAP sells Pauter...they also Sponsor this forum.

swwifty

I just found something interesting on Carrillo's site on rods. Thought you guys might find it interesting...

http://www.carrilloind.com/app.html

Check out the link towards the top of the page that says "Download article on Eliminating Connecting Rod Failures"

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

swwifty wrote:I just found something interesting on Carrillo's site on rods. Thought you guys might find it interesting...

http://www.carrilloind.com/app.html

Check out the link towards the top of the page that says "Download article on Eliminating Connecting Rod Failures"
To bad they don't have anything for KAs in their product catalog.

swwifty

actually, i believe they will make you some rods if you want. I've heard of a few people running them in KAs.

dsylvia
Car: 93 hatch

Foster, when i had my engine built my block had to be notched. it didnt cost much though.

Gofast1
Car: 1995 & 1996 240SX

Guys,

We have been selling and using Pauter rods for over 2 years now and no one we have sold them to has had to have their blocks notched. The rods have also been running in our car for over 2 years at very high boost levels.

Just thought we would throw that in for those considering rods. Crower makes great rods too, so choose which ones you like best.

swwifty

Where did the rumor start then? I'm confused.

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

Hey fiz... if you get a group buy going... I'm in. I'm also in need of pistons most probably since I found a piston skirt piece

Now, so the choice remains between Pauter and Crower.... where would an outisder like myself buy those online? Apart from IAP and KA24DE.com

Marc, what are the prices you have on Pauter Rods? And sorry to hijack, what about pistons?

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

ive been planning on running pauter rods and arias pistons

Jeff240sx
Car: Car! Chicks!

I paid $450 for my Crower rods. And, I'm with Duncan, you shouldn't need to use customer service. I know for a fact they have the rod specs on hand, because I ordered from them. So you won't have a non-fit issue. And if the rod breaks, nobody warrants them. I think that customer service is a moot point in rod selection, and quality/price are the main factors. Of those, Crower gets my vote. Don't go through a company in most instances, unless you're building the motor yourself. Go through the machine shop or engine builder to order the rods. At a time when you couldn't buy Crowers online for less than $595, I save $150 going through the builder.-Jeff

Red-KAT
Car: 1995 240sx-se ka24det

SSS wrote:Personally i will be going with custom rods from ridgecrest rods, they are a small custom manufacturer about 30mins from me.

They mainly do drag car stuff, but will custom make rods. They can also do rods in titanium, which i will be pricing
2500$ for 4 Titanium Pauters. Already been looking into that.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

My g/f's dad makes custom metal parts..Out of anything. He's got gold aulum etc. Thinking abotu having him make a driveshaft.Wonder how long it would take him to make a set of rods....

chandler
Car: 91 civic hb & 96 S14

24k gold rods...... woah thats an odd thought.....

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”