RTV color and chain guide question

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Highway Q45
Car: Auto-X, Porsche 944's, woodworking, GreaseSlinger

It's been 4 weeks and no new Q problems. Either I have to now get serious about the chain guides issue or I miss working on the car!

Taken from an older thread on checking if chain guides have been done.

Quote »If you don't want to tackle the front cover R&R and are OK with assuming some risk, check the color of the RTV sealant on the front cover. The original is a light blue I've never seen elsewhere, any other color means the cover has been off and they "probably" replaced the guides.[/quote]

For those of you who've done this before, is the above statement fairly accurate? My RTV is red under all the front cover seal areas so I'm reluctant to buy all the parts and find out it's already been done. Infiniti records are not clear if my guides were done when the P/O got the original engine replaced by dealer due to loose oil drain plug. Would a dealer customarily do the chain guides on a 79K warranty replacement motor before reinstall? Would water pump, cam seals, or front main seal normally fail within this 80K span resulting in previous removal of the covers?

Thanks

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

It's accurate in that I and others have seen blue factory RTV, but I can no way guarantee they were all made that way. Hopefully Dennis will post his observations. I can say that the factory (I think) RTV on my valve covers AND water pump was red, though on the front cover it was blue. A dealer would not do the chain guides on a new motor automatically. In 80k water pump might fail, cam seals unlikely (but rocker covers maybe), front main seal probably not.

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

My one owner car had the water pump and thermostat replaced at 24,000 miles(it sat a lot in the garage). It was my parent's car, so I know the valve covers and front covers had never been off the car until I did it. The dealer used red RTV on the water pump and thermostat. The rest was light blue RTV. The front seal was leaking at 45,000 miles, again due to so much sitting unused. I'd imagine that the guides were replaced when the front cover was off, but unfortunately there is only one way to be sure.

firstq

I have heard by the dealership tech stating the same - the color of the RTV [light blue] is what he based his opinion on when stating that my car's guide were never replaced - and sure he was right [at least in this case].

Highway Q45

Thanks all for the info. It makes me feel a little more confident for the time being. Q dollars are at an all time low. It's likely that the dealer who replaced the motor must have done the guides then because he also provided the "original owner" with a 24 month warranty on the replacement motor. The motor has 94K on it now and runs quiet and strong. I'm still going to attempt to pull the covers when the weather warms to make sure. Even though some owners guides have gone 150K+, the incidence of sudden guide failure will always dog me until I know for certain. I'm just hoping Infiniti was aware of the guide problem two years ago. Thanks

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Your engine was replaced only two years ago? That's a good sign! Infiniti has been aware of the problem for much longer than that... they're just not good at recommending that anything be done about it. Was this a brand new Infinti engine, or a take-out?

I would try to find the tech who replaced the engine and see if he can remember - I doubt they do too many engine swaps for a loose drain plug. Someone got fired for that one I'm sure...

Heath

Highway Q45

HeathThe original owner was told that it was caused by a loose drain plug or sudden loss of oil. I'm wondering if guide failure actually preceeded the seize up. His wife was driving it back from the dealer after a major service at 102K. She doesn't remember any warnings lights or overheating, just sudden shudder, metallic noises, smoke, then over to the breakdown lane. She recalls major fluids pooled under the car and the engine compartment was an oil slick. From the description it sounds like a serious lower end failure with block damage. I would expect the usual valve/piston damage from failed guides. Can guide failure also cause such lower end damage at high freeway speeds? It was under extended warranty so the dealer was in for a major repair anyway no matter what the cause. The dealer records on the car are very good but do not cover what specific prep might have gone into the 79K replacement motor. The PO provided only minimum records so I had to rely on the dealer. The dealer records list history of all work performed but not the specific comments from the techs. It looks as though the plenum hoses and most cooling hoses are newer so I'm hoping they tried to take the cautious road. I'll see if the tech who worked on it is still there but the service manager has been helpful only to a minimum. Chalk this service manager up as another who thinks the Gen 1 guide problem is blown way out of proportion. Steve

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Highway Q45 wrote:The dealer records on the car are very good but do not cover what specific prep might have gone into the 79K replacement motor. ... The dealer records list history of all work performed but not the specific comments from the techs.Steve
I would ask to view the actual work order that the dealer has in his records. It should list parts and labor performed.

Highway Q45

BrianIs the dealer under any kind of obligation to provide this detailed info to a "second owner"? I've never had the Q worked on there yet. The service rep I've dealt with doesn't appear to be sympathetic to the obvious home mechanic. I get the feeling it's a privacy thing to not divulge the previous owners name(on service order), just the basic service info without particulars. I suppose I could ask again but I bet I get the same replies; "It's been over 2 years", "We don't have the shop copies", etc. The parts guy is great but the service rep leaves much to be desired. There's a new Infiniti dealer opening near home in two months. I hope they aren't as paranoid about providing more detailed info as other dealer. I also wonder if Infiniti corporate has the detailed records or just the servicing list I've seen so far? Steve

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Probably only the original servicing dealer has the WO. Infiniti only has summaries. Maybe a note from the PO? Surely, there are other service writers who may be less surly? Maybe a hint like "I'm wondering if I need to bring it into do the chain guides, or perhaps you could check the WO and verify what was done?" Oh sometimes, they are referred to as "RO." For Repair Order, I assume.

They have the records somewhere, if not on premises. Just imply they don't get the future work unless they can document the past work. Replacing turbine sensors without a lift, and other such work (even oil changes in my book), is quite a bit more difficult, dangerous, and time consuming without a lift. Consult monitoring is usually only available at the dealer unless the shop is well versed in Qs and Nissans.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

You mentioned that your "parts guy is great" - so that's the angle I'd use. At least at my local dealership, the parts and service departments report to the same person. I'd try once more with your service advisor - then the parts guy to see if he can get them. Then ask for their manager... keep working your way up 'til you get what you want. They should be able to provide the records to you with part numbers and VIN only - tell them they can block out the former owner's contact info and prices paid if they want.

No chance that the former owner has the invoice? I can't imagine throwing out something like that - but not everyone has a filing cabinet with every parts invoice since 1996 and a service log in the glove compartment that made even Dennis comment on my record keeping... :icesangel Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”