Where to buy SR20DET Engines

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

These are the places I have had experience with or have had friends with extensive experience with:

http://www.heavythrottle.comhttp://www. ... 0store.com

But rather than list them all, what I want to do is to create a list of shops, and who got motors from them and then their rating on the customer service.

0 - Never got my motor1 - Got my motor, and it was horrible2 - Got my motor, and it had a few issues3 - Got my motor, and it was decent4 - Got my motor, and it was very clean5 - Got my motor, and it was very clean, and the customer service was top notch!

Use your best judgement and please be honest.

Ex.

I got my motor from X and I was very happy with their service, and my motor was very clean and ran great!

I'd give X a 5

Ex. 2

I got my motor from Y and I was very happy with their service, but my motor was very dirty, and had a cut wiring harness, but it runs great!

I'd give Y a 3 since it was missing parts, but the motor still ran good.

The reasoning behind this is everyone has their favorites, but this gives a look further into it.

ONLY POST YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES

AJ1356

I got my engine from Redstone motors in mountain view, ca. my engine was very clean ( a clip ) the price was very good. i picked up the enigne myself, so i can say anything about the shipping. however they are kinda shadey since eveytime i called them they give me a different price, for example, i called friday and it was 3200 out the door, when i went there monday to pay for it and pick it up they wanted 3400+tax, but i haggled with them and got it for 3300 out the door. over all i recomment them just make sure to haggle with them, and do the compression test yourself since they don't know how to do it .

boost_creep
Car: 92 sr powered coupe,06 Spec V

i got my clip from plan-b-co,who is a distrubutor for osaka motors.the price was cheap,and the motor is damn clean.(look at my avi).i even got all the body panels with it too.i used the front bumper cause for now im runnin the smic,and i had a pignose.overall id definitly give them a 5,cause my motor was very clean.and customer service was very good to.i talked to him on aim like everyday.and he let me know what was goin on.

spanishricer
Car: '95 240SX & '03 M45

I got my front clip from Phase2. It received a compression check and start up test before it left their warehouse. When I received it, it was in mint condition and puts down very solid numbers.

I give Phase2 a 5 out of 5.

weeble
Car: 1990 240 sx

i also got my motor from phase2. those guys are great. i called them often and they were always there to help. they even gave out there personal cell#'s to help me on the weekends. they do awesome work and the motor was clean and comppression amd leakdown tested. definetly a 5!

Luke

I got my motor from Heavy Throttle. S13 SR20DET Blacktop It was pretty clean on the outside but it had it's share of problems. Whoever put it on the pallet set it down on the turbo side and it was resting on the turbo elbow, ac and ps compressor and the CAS was cracked. The flywheel was in bad shape due to this phantom gear oil leak which has haunted me to this day. When I took the valve cover off, a lot of the inside of the engine had oil baked on it, not a good sign. I haven't got around to compression testing it, but it runs well. The harness had 2 cut mafs signal wires that couldn't have been found easily. I spent 3 weeks troubleshotting my MAFS to find that crap. The head gasket looks like a silverish metal, which makes me believe it isn't the original stock one. (someone give me some insight if it could be). Anyways, that was my brief rant about the little problems that you really come to expect with used engines.

Anything that was broken or missing, Jeff sent me and compensated. Even helped pay the $75 it cost to resurface the flywheel.

I give Heavy Throttle's customer service a 5.

The engine itself could've been better so i give it at 3 or 4.

912.0turbo

I got my motor from Scorpion Auto Designs here in San Antonio Texas. HORRIBLE motor AND HORRIBLE Customer Service. I'll give them a -5(yes thats a negative five). My motor was locked up and had numerous other small issues with it. If anyone is in this area do NOT deal with this clown.

mmashburn
Car: 1992 240sx

I bought my engine from [removed] in Newnan, GA. [removed] was very cool and he actually cranked up the front clip for me. The price was 2799 i think. Every thing is smooth so far.

I have to give them a 5.

Here is their website, it's cool b/c they have videos of their current inventory.. they crank up each one:

[removed]

BTW... has anyone dealt with Venus Auto, they had really poor customer service in my opinion. I asked them to do a few simple things for me if they wanted me to buy a front clip. I wanted pictures and compression numbers of their current motors. He told me he would email me pictures, but they never came, so I gave up on them. I made several phone calls to them to try and get some type of info..??? nothing happened... anyone else experience this type of situation from Venus?

nismotuner82

http://www.jazzproparts.com

Great guy to deal with great prices too

D1 guy
Car: 1997 kouki S14 SR powered w/400whp and a stock 1994 FD R2 (26,000miles),

I bought my s14 motor from heavy throttle. It is in excellent condition! The install was easy, the tech support was great, and he even gave me package deals. 5 out of 5. Those guys are great and always willing to help. Jeff said that they gaurentee the motors to start with no smoke.....and since I bought an s14 motor from them, I could drive it for a few days and something happened to it, hed still warrenty it. Sure enough, NO Smoke and an all around excellent motor. I have only good things to say about them.
Modified by D1 guy at 6:50 AM 5/26/2006

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

Picked up 3 motors from JDM Recyclers. Two were in pretty good shape, the blacktop I personally got was in excellent shape except the rings were somewhat worn.

Picked up another motor from Phase2, they claimed it was tested but the layer of dirt on the top was pretty thick. It did start up ok after a couple bottles of marvels mystery oil. the turbo had blown oil seals, but were promptly replaced.

djsonic

Just picked up a s13 redtop from 240sxmotoring.com. Haven't put it in yet, but looks nice and clean and they even gave me a brand new wiring harness b/c the original had been cut. They compression tested it, and they have great service, and they're open later than most shops (7PM eastern) As far as a rating, so far 5 out of 5.

Silverbullet91
Car: 1991 240SX SE Coupe w/sr20det redtop

I got my redtop from heavythrottle. Their customer service is great. Definitely a 5. The motor was in really good shape too, except for a few things that got damaged in shipping (but that wasn't heavythrottle's fault). They sent me a replacement for everything that was damaged. I'd give the motor a 4. Would give a 5 but I thought it could have been cleaned a little better. Very happy with my purchase.

nowigot9
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX With Red Top SR20DET

I got my motor set from JHOT-Imports in Augusta GA couldnt beat the price it was $1900 for the engine set. Got the intire harness and ECU sidemount all the pluming everything. they told exactly how many miles were on it befor i purchased it and they warrantied it the customer service was great they even ask for pics of the swap after wards. the engine was clean and ran smooth from day one.

I give them a 5

got2b240
Car: 91' RPS13 = GT28R, 525cc, Z32 Mafs & SAFC, Blitz EXST & FMIC, Silvia VLSD

got my motor directly from http://www.osakajdmmotors.com

Well they shipped TOO FAST !!! They sent out the motor when I called and I didnt get a chance to get the check ready....but it was already ready and sitting with yellowfrieght in upper NY!! Then I sent them the check's tracking number when I sent it out and they released the motor.....

It came and it was SPOTLESS!!! Not to mention I asked for a s13 blacktop and I had recieved a S13 Kouki blacktop (97'-98')!!!! and I was soo excited!

Only thing is is that they didnt send me ECU and now im fighting to get one from them....but I already went out and bought an ECU for $325 from motorworks locally.

My friend Jay above (89 240hatch) also got his and I will vouch for its reliability and cleanliness....so i would give Osaka JDM Motors a 5 on quality in my experiences....but with customer service i would give it a 3....cause they are playing around with me and the ECU deal....but for speed of service (when they offer it) I would give them a 5

yellow_jacket
Car: 95 240sx

Got my SR from [removed]. [removed] is the man. Customer service is definetely top notch. I have also seen quite a few of his motors running around in this area and they have always been in excellent condition. I would recommend him anytime

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

I got my motor from Marco @ http://www.sr20store.com

Was in great shape, paid a fair price, and Marco gave me what I wanted as far as numbers prior to purchasing.

Came highly suggested, glad I took it.

srdrps13
Car: s13

i went with heavy throttle.. there were a few issues like my input shaft being broken and the wrong flywheel on the motor.. jeff sent a new tranny in 2 days and another flywheel.. customer service was really good. always answered my emails and calls.. sent me 2 option dvds for the long wait lol

NoStickers
Car: 1991 240sx w/ sr (RIP)
1989 240sx w/ ka
1996 240sx donor car (coming soon)

I got my motor set from http://www.enjukuracing.com/ . Havn't had any problems with the motor set and it was very clean. Bought nearly all my parts from them and will continue to do so. Above all they have rediculously good customer service.

I'd give them a 5.

twofourzeroSX
Car: 91 sileighty

jeff at 240sxmotoring.... 5 all around

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

i got mine from osaka motors. s14 Notchtop. "33,000"

motor looks great. they sent me a cut harness and the wrong ECU. (ecu was from one of the european SRs) but then sent me a brand new harness and the correct ECU. customer service was great and the engine was spotless inside and out. (valve cover and oil pan) It runs great and i had no problems with the swap other than an oil leak from a banjo connecter from when i put a stainless exhaust manifold on.

wildacexxx
Car: 2002 Q45 nav sport

karmakaze wrote:i got mine from osaka motors. s14 Notchtop. "33,000"

motor looks great. they sent me a cut harness and the wrong ECU. (ecu was from one of the european SRs) but then sent me a brand new harness and the correct ECU. customer service was great and the engine was spotless inside and out. (valve cover and oil pan) It runs great and i had no problems with the swap other than an oil leak from a banjo connecter from when i put a stainless exhaust manifold on.
how much did u pay for it shipped? im hearing alot of good things from osaka might just choose them.

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

FAST-DATSUN

We get our engine from John at NEO TECH IMPORTS (619-631-0664 and ROSS PETTY the DRIFTER 808-772-0951 ............. Mack

GripR
Car: 92 miata

PHASE2MOTORTREND IS THE ****!

bdrifta
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx sr20det

i bought my motor from venus-auto, and i give them a big 0. The reasoning is as follows:

Called and asked for price for full swap, they said 2,000. I say ok i will be there in an hour. I get ther and they have two motors, and both aresitting all cockeyed and crap amongst many-a-lesser engines, b16's, h22's...etc. And i asked him to do a compression test on both. He refused, he said pick one. I said test this one, he did, checked out good. I go to pay, and they're like, "So you already have the radiator intercooler and piping stuff?" and i was like "no thats y i wanted teh full swaP"..."Oh, well the swap is 2400..."I got OWNED.

I get it home, and realize the ps pump water pump, motor mount...and more is bent...i get all of them replaced...check the turbo...Bent to hell.

I decide to take the whole motor back...i get there and he says no...streight up. I actually called my attorney, and had him come to the shop.

By the time everything was said and done he signed a piece of paper extending my "warranty" of everything including the turbo by 4 months. And if there was anything wrong with the engine, i would recieve a blacktop...and if the turbo was bad, t28.

overall i wouldn't reccomend them to my worst enemy.

BurnsAuto90
Car: 1990 240sx
1991 240sx

i purchased my sr from heavythrottle

I only live an hour away from their shop so i drove down a few times to check out the place, real great shop, his lead mechanic doug is a great guy with tons of info. Jeff is a true business man, when i went to go pick up my engine (directly from heavy throttle) the trans had a hole in it, since the compression was the best out of the bunch, he junked the original tranny and had one shipped from boston which was top notch.

My engine was so fresh, the part numbers were still on the clutch disk it was so new, and it still had the stock spark plugs, never raced, never beaten on.

engine was clean and together, would buy another engine from jeff

JesusLikesKFC
Car: 91 240sx, geo prizm

5 big ones for heavy throttle. motor and tranny are so solid. also jeff and everyone there are great guys and are happy to answer any questiond u might have. after breakin in the clutch iv been beating on it at 10lbs daily without any trouble so far.

240 SR
Car: 89 240sx w/ sr20

I got my front clip from Noyans in manassas, Va (noyanusa.com)...i got the clip for 2400 and picked it up (so i cant comment on the shipping)...they started up the motor for me and gave me all the original paperwork. it had an uncut harness and the right ecu, my motor runs strong to this day...5

mrd03329
Car: 89 240sx hatch sr20det

i got mine from jazzproparts.com about a week ago. paid 1895 for it with free shipping took 15 days for it to come. very clean motor, i am installing a metal head gasket. the cylinders look brand new still has the honing marks in them. clutch it came with looked almost brand new. i am very satisfied with this so far i haven't run it yet, but hopeflly that will go well also. i would give them a 5.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”