SMOG Legality - Testing, Tuning, Etc.

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

If you live in a state where they do Smog testing you will never legally pass the inspection with an SR. The engine was not tested, and is not on the EPA's list of engines.

However, the SR CAN pass the sniffer test quite easily. You will need a functioning cat, along with a relatively stock engine setup.

In a perfectly running combustion cycle we decompose fuel (aka ignite) and form products with the air mixture. These products are H20 (water), CO (Carbon Monoxide), N0x (Oxides of Nitrogen), CO2 (Carbon Dioxide), HC's (uncombusted fuel), 02 (elemental oxygen), N2 (elemental Nitrogen), and H2 (elemental Hydrogen).

Excessive timing, boost, cooled air, airflow can create high amounts NOx which is what I see alot of people failing. This is due to the required high temperatures in which NOx is formed. Reducing the combustion temps will reduce the NOx pollution, which is why the EGR system was created.

Some setups will run into HC failures, where they are running rich in the lower RPM due to excessive fuel pressure (common to stock FPRs w/ hi-flo pumps). A S-AFC can be used to reduce the injector pulsewidths down to a moderated level to reduce the HC's. Be forwarned this can also increase NOx emissions when you lean out the mixture.

CO failures tend to be engines that are running too rich. CO is formed when the fuel hydrocarbons break down and are in a Oxygen deficient locality (meaning the mixture is rich). This translates to less CO2, and more CO emissions. Typically high CO's are related with relatively high HC's as well.

For the visual testing you need to find a "friendly" testing place, if you understand what I am getting at

modified

So, will the sr pass a onboard diagnostic test?

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

Absolutly not, but that only concerns people with cars manufactured 96 and newer. That can also be gotten around (especially if your not in california), if you can find the right people to go to.

I have a "friend" who found someone to stick a stock oldsmobile on the sniffer machine in place of his black sr-powered s13 coupe at no extra cost. You just have to find someone that has an equal love of all things automotive

modified

That why i ask, its 98. Any way to have the motor cleared for street use, from DOT, EPA?

s13_drftone
Car: S13 with sr20det swap

no you just got to pay the price of $200

jjh

nice for locking the thread, i was wondering in nj has smog testing.

drifter_for_life06
Car: Daily: '16 WRX
Toys: '92 RPS13 400whp
Exocet

for the guys in PA..if i get a hi-flow cat on my 92 S13, i should be good right?

i got an emissions exempt sticker in March, but that was b/c i had less than 5k miles on the odo. since the last inspection.

hazw8st

s13_drftone wrote:no you just got to pay the price of $200
Try again, back door smog for an SR20DET for 2 bills..... we're in 2006, these smog techs are asking $400 bucks here in SoCal.....

nistangclan727
Car: 03 maxima

would an sr pass in oh

XFD
Car: 240SX/SilEighty style

Is there a site that lists all the smog states and what forms of testing they do? Googling for "Smog States" and variants returns rather irrelevent results. (I'm in Oregon)

drifter_for_life06
Car: Daily: '16 WRX
Toys: '92 RPS13 400whp
Exocet

i was able to go to state.pa.us (obviously not the same link if you dont live in PA) and found somewhere on there what tests they run on certain year vehicles

just plug in your info and BAM,there ya go

nistangclan727
Car: 03 maxima

what states would a stok sr pass

hazw8st

modified wrote:That why i ask, its 98. Any way to have the motor cleared for street use, from DOT, EPA?
I did some extensive research, and the answer is "no", DOT and EPA won't allow it. If your state doesn't perform smog inspections, nobody has to know what engine you have. What they don't know, can't hurt them...

safxtacy

ok im new to "THIS" site but im kinda lost on what exactly hazw8st does i had a few questions first do u own ur own shop and what exactly do u hve to do thres so much chemicals and other stuff lsted in different orders im lost but what exactly do u do is it a liquid or something or messing with ecu please try to make it clear and in order im not the sharpest knife in the drawer

silninty
Car: 1990 180SX

I have a SR20DET in AZ and have gotten a slap on the hand here when I brought it to get tested. There are two types of "cop" type people, the ones who only care about the law...(which means they know nothing about cars), and the ones who love cars so an SR20DET would normally make these guys smile. The problem that I have lies in the air recurculation system. It is illegal to take it off of any engine to drive on the street, yet if your going to "fool" your local emissions testing facility your going to need a working air recirculation system on your SR20det 240sx. To make this work, you need to create a new steel pipe no less than 18" that goes around your steering column. No prob there, now you have to block your stock hole on your downpipe, no prob there and create a new hole on the side for your modified ARS tube. It works on my car but it looks horible. I guess next car I'll take my time more, I like a car that is modified to look like it's supposed to be that way. I don't know of a single company that makes a USDM swaped SR20DET downpipe with a relocated ARS tube hole. End result the car passed emissions better than any american car I have ever seen, I never played with timing or anything else, it was stock but passed with flying colors even though it had a racing cat and 3" exhaust all the way down.

hazw8st

Try email next time.......

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

Just passed emissions today:

Stock S13 SR Blacktopo.e. SMIC w/ Koyo3" Catco catNew 300z O2Vented crank case / vc~85°+ ambient temperature

HC: 90ppm out of allowed 150CO2: .39% of .8% allowedNOx: 1734 out of 1750 allowed (no egr)

no problem with visual in spection, the motor says 'nissan' on it. if anyone asks tell them its a special edition 240.

FAST-DATSUN

what about the VISUAL part of the test and the fact that the engines (sr and RB) do not show up on the approved swap list???????//

Neil
Car: shooting laser guns

If they really have an "approved swap list" at your emissions center, I'll be surprised.

Don't say anything. The motor says Nissan on it, noone is likely to notice anything strange except for a couple shiny chargepipes... if they ask just tell them it was a rare 'special edition'

hazw8st

nistangclan727 wrote:would an sr pass in oh
jjh wrote:nice for locking the thread, i was wondering in nj has smog testing.
hazw8st wrote:Try again, back door smog for an SR20DET for 2 bills..... we're in 2006, these smog techs are asking $400 bucks here in SoCal.....
FAST-DATSUN wrote:what about the VISUAL part of the test and the fact that the engines (sr and RB) do not show up on the approved swap list?
Visual isn't an issue anymore, there are loopholes that bypass visual as long as the diagnostics and functional are within the emissions mandates.

Thebigjc
Car: 1990 240sx/sr20det

What about Washington, anyone tried here yet?

Thebigjc
Car: 1990 240sx/sr20det

Also any issues running the denatured Alch. fo a short period of time in an sr20det?

hazw8st

Thebigjc wrote:Also any issues running the denatured Alch. fo a short period of time in an sr20det?
Running on denatured is not turnkey, you would have to tune the vehicle on denatured, then pretest it before the actual emisiions test.

domofun
Car: 94 nissan 240sx convertable

hey where in so cal can i do this i need to smog mine thanks

FusionR300zx
Car: 1993 300zx/1997 240sx

hmmm... how about this... chicagoo...98 (OBDII) with a OBDI redtop...?

what should i do?

Shaefer Thomas
Car: 1992 240sx

I have a 240 that I bought in Texas, swapped an SR into it and moved back to Michigan. Michigan has absolutely NO laws whatsoever regarding smog or anything even related to it. I want to keep the car registered in MI because I am about to go to school in Washington. Im pretty scared about all this smog BS, and I REALLY dont want to get rid of my car after all the hard work I put into it.... Anyone have any advice on Washington's smog tests? I hear you have to go to an official testing center so there is a slim chance you will find a "friendly" person there.... Just need a little insight into this.. I Know Washington has a couple 240 guys with SR swaps, cuz Ive seen them around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TchouikoS13
Car: 92 240sx HB + 06 Porsche Boxster S(vert)

If you use propane, wouldn't your car be registered as a propane car????

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

not to mention when they revert your car back to use gasoline, you get pulled over you'll still end up going to the ref anyway since the officer won't be able to verify if it's propane or not. From what I've seen, if there's any doubt, you're going to the ref.

TchouikoS13
Car: 92 240sx HB + 06 Porsche Boxster S(vert)

180fan wrote:not to mention when they revert your car back to use gasoline, you get pulled over you'll still end up going to the ref anyway since the officer won't be able to verify if it's propane or not. From what I've seen, if there's any doubt, you're going to the ref.
Kinda screwed there... Rather pay like 200 bucks for a hookup than a 400 dollar convention

Happytoys
Car: 90 240 sx, 88 civic hatch

Can anyone tell me where/how to find requierments/laws regarding swaps and smog for California? Specifically Sacramento. Also, u think it would be best/possible to keep my car titled in oregon but still be in cali

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”