So, a Maxima radio works

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Jesda

During my road trip from Missouri to Washington, the tape player stopped functioning consistently, leaving me without XM radio and stuck with the barren isolation of whatever's on the air in South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana (zerothread?id=123526).

I considered buying a wired FM modulator (the wireless transmitters are mostly crap). But why spend more money on a car I'm giving to my brother? Fortunately, my friend's girlfriend lives here in Washington and owns a 1990 Maxima, and she recently installed the Bose CD player I disliked and gave her (zerothread?id=97681). This meant that her older Bose head unit was still available, so I plugged that into the Q.

At the moment, it works fine. At first, the tape adapter had some issues, acting like it wouldn't play. Then, I ejected and flipped it over and it worked fine. There's a slight loss of clarity and midrange cleanliness, but bass response is better. The space underneath will have to be filled with something, maybe a storage pocket or a flat surface where I can stick the XM tuner.

So yes, if you're in a pinch and need a new radio for your 90-94 Q, feel free to head over to your junk yard and grab a radio from a Nissan Maxima.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Well at least you have *some* tunes...

Rex
Car: None

So after all the ribbing you had to make sure some ghetto cool music was on, instead of your beloved Jessica Simpson???

Glad to know you've got tunes for the ride home.

nissanforlife
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37X

i dunno.. jessica simpson might be a little too edgy after rockin out to some sweet Natalie Merchant...

anywyaz.. gotta have dee tunez. . . . . I'm trying to figure wut i can do with mine..

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Jesda wrote:I considered buying a wired FM modulator (the wireless transmitters are mostly crap). But why spend more money on a car I'm giving to my brother?
So your giving your Q to your brother, Jes. Sorry to go of the subject, but what car do to plan to replace the Q with when you give your Q to your brother?

Jesda

louiegz wrote:So your giving your Q to your brother, Jes. Sorry to go of the subject, but what car do to plan to replace the Q with when you give your Q to your brother?
I'm pretty open at the moment. Friend's gf is selling her 1990 Maxima for $1000, so I'll likely buy that as a daily driver if she still has it in September.

For a second vehicle (to enjoy), these are in consideration:1990-1993 Mazda Miata1995-1997 Jaguar XJ61990-1996 Infiniti Q451993-1997 Cadillac Seville STS1993-1996 Lincoln Mark VIII1996-1998 Chrysler Sebring JX/JXi1997-2000 Mitsubishi Diamante

I guess it depends on where I can find a good deal.

pito11213
Car: 2002 Chevrolet Suburban

Where's the option.

Miata sucks. Might as well get a motor cycle for that feel.

Jaguar picky little *****. No headroom.

Chrysler Sebring. Say no more.

Diamante is ok but still cheap feeling inside. Lincoln is nice minus air supension. Other than that the cheap plastic inside gets annoying over bumps. Cadillac is nice. 94+ though for 300HP. Q45 is well..... top notch. You left out...

94 Acura legend. 97+ maxima SE92-96 BMW 540I or 535I92-94 Lexus Ls 400

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Jesda wrote:
I'm pretty open at the moment. Friend's gf is selling her 1990 Maxima for $1000, so I'll likely buy that as a daily driver if she still has it in September.

For a second vehicle (to enjoy), these are in consideration:1990-1993 Mazda Miata1995-1997 Jaguar XJ61990-1996 Infiniti Q451993-1997 Cadillac Seville STS1993-1996 Lincoln Mark VIII1996-1998 Chrysler Sebring JX/JXi1997-2000 Mitsubishi Diamante

I guess it depends on where I can find a good deal.
Keep the Q, forget about the Max, and get the Miata with a 5 speed. That's what I'd do.

Oh, by the way, your sig is wrong. It's not "El madre de Henry", it's "La madre de Henry". Change the El to La and that would be correct. By the way, who is Henry Mom?

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

louiegz wrote:By the way, who is Henry Mom?
she's gettin around now!

Jesda

louiegz wrote:Keep the Q, forget about the Max, and get the Miata with a 5 speed. That's what I'd do.
I broke the AC on the Q and decided I didnt want to deal with it anymore. The two front seats are cracking and peeling and the holes in the seats are getting bigger and bigger. No need to put more money into a 200k car! Still runs like an Olympic athlete though, proven by the drive across the country last week and the speeding ticket I received.

Basically, I need a beater and a cruiser. I always hated starting the Q in the morning and only driving it nine tenths of a mile, then an hour later driving it back.

Not sure I want another Legend either. The last one killing itself is kind of an omen. Real nice car though. If I were to get a six-cylinder luxury car, it would definitely be an X300 series Jag XJ. It has an automatic drive positioner, my favorite feature in the Q. The Q is obviously the better car, but I'm kind of in the mood for a change just for the sake of change.

Its never easy finding an alternative to one of the ten best cars in the world.

I don't have my heart set on anything in particular, so realistically it depends on where I find a good deal. I'm looking for something an old guy drove on Sundays and kept records for from day one. Ryan's GB Q45 is still a remote possibility too.
louiegz wrote:Oh, by the way, your sig is wrong. It's not "El madre de Henry", it's "La madre de Henry". Change the El to La and that would be correct. By the way, who is Henry Mom?
Fixed.

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Aww geez

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

louiegz wrote:Keep the Q, forget about the Max, and get the Miata with a 5 speed. That's what I'd do.

Oh, by the way, your sig is wrong. It's not "El madre de Henry", it's "La madre de Henry". Change the El to La and that would be correct. By the way, who is Henry Mom?
Lou you are golden!!!!!!

Jesda, to give you some headsup about the Jags, the X300 XJ6 and XJR are notoriously BULLET PROOF, with little or no problems.... Proabbly one of the best engine/tranny that they ever got... The SC XJR (I6) would be a little faster than a Q with JWT (Ie about on par with my Q)...

Quote »Ryan's GB Q45 is still a remote possibility too.[/quote]

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

wes,"jag and bulletproof" dont go together!the supercharged engine has a history of needing expensive blower rebuilds around 80,000 miles,and any older,affordable jag will be one extremely expensive car to repair and maintain correctly,hardly a wise choice for a young guy not yet receiving the fruits of a higher education!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

qship96 wrote:wes,"jag and bulletproof" dont go together!the supercharged engine has a history of needing expensive blower rebuilds around 80,000 miles,and any older,affordable jag will be one extremely expensive car to repair and maintain correctly,hardly a wise choice for a young guy not yet receiving the fruits of a higher education!
I talked to a guy who has owned 3 jags (and also had a 91 Q), had a 91, 94, and a 96 or something like that. Had 2 XJ40s and an X300, the the 6 cylinder engine is a very dependable car..... The blower may need a rebuild, that shouldnt be too bad.. The XJR proabbly isnt in his pricerange anyway...

I dont know much about those cars, but I know the older ones had some headgasket problems (which isnt *that* hard since its an inline rather than a V, can be done DIY) but the newer ones apparently didnt have as many issues...

The bottom line is, I agree, id be a little scared getting into a jaguar being in Jesda's situation, but after the Q45, how much worse *can* it get!!! I bet if you DIYd you could maintain a lot of exotic cars that you can get for the same price as the Q (old BMW 7 series, etc) to close the same as the Q....

Since he's lookin for reliability, im also leaning towards him waiting a little and get a stellar deal on a Y33...

pito11213
Car: 2002 Chevrolet Suburban

The Q is simple for DIY compared to a Benz or even Lexus.

Never been a fan of Jaguar except for the XJ220. Their styling is not my taste even though they kept for decades.

Get a 5 series you'll like it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”