Stock head studs or ARP..??

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
rn240sx
Car: 12 Frontier V6 (supercharged)
98 240sx ka-t (fully built)
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

Here is the deal: My turbo T3 /T04B H3 stage 3 ex wheel with .48 a/r I have the nismo 555cc yellow top ( 615cc flow rated) injectors.

From what i was told by my compressor specs, this turbo will need to be at about 18-20 psi to reach the 350 whp mark... Any more than 20+ psi, the turbo will be out of range and start to blow hot air...

Now i was also told that those 615cc flow rated inj should max out at about 404 whp (theoretical max on paper).

So basically my turbo will ~probably run out of breathe b4 i max out these injectors.. I plan to get this motor to push 350-375 whp... and NO MORE..!! There is a limit to me.. and i think thats it..

I know the stock block can hold 350 whp good for a while ( i proved it, but un-fortunately due to an un-known reason, something failed and it started detonating and blew the ring lands on 2 pistons ) and 400 whp is pushing the limits.....

Im obviously buying forged pistons, and i have to replace the headgasket cause i done pulled the head off and that one is going cosmetic cause the OEM is $70 and a cosmetic is $100.. common sense...

My question is, do u think the stock head studs will be fine up to 375 whp..??

ThanksRobert

:: orion ::
Car: '96 240SX, with KA-T @ 12psi...

Stock studs will be fine for +400..."PSI240SX" did ~412rwhp back in the day with stock HG and head bolts (built bottom end).

So they can hold it.

But you shold probably replace the head bolts anyway (they stretch, and should be replaced when you remove the head)...and the ARP set will most likely cost less than OEM bolts.

- Brian

DRIFTEADOR

plus ARPs can be reused unlike OEM's if you ever need to take it apart again.

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

:: orion :: wrote:But you shold probably replace the head bolts anyway (they stretch, and should be replaced when you remove the head)...and the ARP set will most likely cost less than OEM bolts.

- Brian
This is the 1st time i have ever pulled the head off... So ur saying that i cannot re-use these head studs..??

wild_maxx
Car: 90 TT pearl yellow z32

well you could reuse the head bolts if you want to replace another HG in a little while. the head bolts are designed to stretch then they are torqued down but they only stretch so far before they dont work anymore. so yes get new head bolts. and oem sholdnt be more than arp's.

fiznat
Car: Grown up :(

Fixed your title.

I'm using stock head studs on my 430rwhp engine, but tell you the truth I wish I wasnt. I'd feel much better doing just the ARP studs-- theyre not that expensive, and a new cometic headgasket is at least $80 if I blow it due to stretching headbolts. Its one of those things that you can definitely get away with without, but should still probably do if you have the extra cash.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Let's put it this way.Noone has had trouble yet. But do you want to be the 1st one that does?If you got the extra cash buy em'.You can llok at your bolts and determine if they can be reused or not.However being you are going to have a High HP car not stock, it would be wise to buy new ones.

:: orion ::
Car: '96 240SX, with KA-T @ 12psi...

On the issue of reusing headbolts...

I have successfully reused OEM head bolts AND a headgasket on a boosted KA...this is NOT reccomended, and I'm AMAZED it worked...but it did.

That being said...I did snap one of the headbolts when I was doing the initial TQ sequence (not even to final TQ...just the 1st step!) - And I had a spare, luckily.

This motor held ~6-8psi for ~6 months, and was then yanked out.

...anyway...it can be done, but expect it to fail soon after...or expect a headbolt to break when retorqueing it.

My advice: YOU REALLY SHOULD REPLACE OEM HEADSTUDS if you pull the head...(do as I say, not as I do...hehe. )

- Brian

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

fiznat wrote:Fixed your title.
THANK U VERY MUCH...

U R THE MAN ..!!

rn240sx
09 Ninja 650R
06 Suzuki S40
15 Hyundai Santa-Fe 2.0T

fiznat wrote:Fixed your title.

I'm using stock head studs on my 430rwhp engine, but tell you the truth I wish I wasnt. I'd feel much better doing just the ARP studs-- theyre not that expensive, and a new cometic headgasket is at least $80 if I blow it due to stretching headbolts. Its one of those things that you can definitely get away with without, but should still probably do if you have the extra cash.
I dont plan on passing 350 whp, besides according to "orion" my turbo will loose breathe ( loosing efficiency i should say) b4 my 615cc inj max out... And i DO NOT plan on buying a larger turbo anytime soon..!!

So if ur running on stock head bolts AND stock hg... I think i will be fine, besides, its not like im gonna be pushing 350 whp from light to light, this isnt a daily driver...!!

This is just a sat night car that i go up to the meets with and OCCASIONALLY will do a race or 2 on the highway...

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”