DIY: Installing an injector resistor box

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
fiznat
Car: Grown up :(

How I set up mine, using a DSM resistor box:

Each injector has 2 wires on it, a red (power) wire and a different color (ground) wire. (The colors are different so that you can look in the manual and find out which gound goes to which cylinder. Mixing these up will cause you huge problems.)

If you look on the wiring diagram in the FSM, you will see that a short distance from the injectors, each of the power wires for the individual injectors combine into one single power wire which goes directly to the ECU. It is easiest to install the resistor box if you find this spot first.

Note again this is the factory wiring where the 1 wire splits into 4 for each of the injectors. This spot is right near the information plate on the firewall of the engine bay. You can see that I cut the power wire a few inches back from the point where it splits. This is where I will install the injector resistor box.

The DSM box has 5 wires on it. 4 black wires which go to the individual injectors, and one white wire which is the power source. Attach the black wires to the 4 red wires after the split in the factory wiring, as shown, and the white wire to the ECU SIDE of the factory red wire (to the left as you are looking at the engine) Notice how the resistor box now takes power from the ECU, and sends out 4 power wires to the injectors:

Note that you should not be using butt connectors like I did... You SHOULD be using good solder connections, I was lazy

It does not matter which of the black wires goes to which of the 4 red wires... all 4 supply a constant 12 volts to the injectors, so it does not matter if you mix them up at all. (Note the same is NOT true for the colored ground wires, which need to remain in a particular order. You should not mess with the ground wires at all during this install!)

Last step is to mount your injector resistor box and tape everything up nicely. It helps to use wire loom as well to make everything look uniform.

Viola!

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Foster, youre the man. Ive never seen a write up on this, and it turns out to be very simple. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe this should be added to the injector sticky in the future...

Tictakman

where did u get the dsm injector box?

Zak

fiznat

Thanks!

I got my box from Ivan at phatka-t, but they can be had of course from a DSM dealer, from a junkyard (these boxes are in a lot of DSMs I noticed), or possibly from a regular auto parts store.

There are other types of resistor boxes of course-- as well as the single type that you wire inline. The process is pretty much the same for any type, just cut the power wire, add the resistor, and attach the wire back. Pretty simple

Tictakman

is this possible....instead of wiring in the box with 4 separate resistors just use one resistor before the wire splits into the 4 separate injector wires? if this could be done wouldnt you just need a resistor that could hold more ohm or whatever?

ZAk

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Added to Sticky!!!

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Hoo hoo, cool.

Anyone know how to check if one of these resistor boxes (i.e. the dsm one) is in proper working condition?

I'm sure that would help everyone trying this a great deal, as these parts are usually only available and affordable used.

I'll be installing mine after I get them injector cleaned, THANKS FIZ!

Tictakman

does anyone have a part number that i can use at autozone or something to get a box. i went there yest and they didnt know what or where to find it. i told them dsm's and old civic's used to run them...

Zak

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

what is the point of this mod?

eddiec
Car: 91 S13

to use the bigger dsm injectors.

DRIFTEADOR

check the resistance between power and injector leads, black and white. should be ~8-12ohms.

go get one at a junk yard, theyre cheap. found on obd0-1 preludes, obd0 civics, crxs, and integras, as well as g1 and g2 eclipses.

as far as I know, no one makes saturated/ high impedence injectors bigger than 550cc, so if you need more fuel you have to get this. theres no performance gain or anything just from switching to peak and hold.

dsylvia
Car: 93 hatch

resistors and resistor boxes are used mostly when using 50lb, 72lb, or 96lb. msd or other top feed injectors.

the impedence of the bigger injectors is different then stock and will not work properly without the resistors.

FIZ nice write up, quit being lazy and solder them dam wires, lol.

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

Pictures not working. Where do you get one of those? I found a 95 DSM non-turbo. Is it the big aluminum box next to the ECU behind the air cleaner box?

Nobody seems to even know what they are.

emperor_lunchbox
Car: 91 240sx, 96 eclipse spyder, and 96 camaro z28 (For Sale)

pics not working for me either

Iamjohnhayes
Car: 89 Single Cam Hatch

check the dates on this thread it is comming up to being a year old. the pics prob dont work because they are no longer uploaded where ever he had them hosted anymore.

+ for bring up old threads

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

yeah its like a 4''x3'' silver aluminum box with what looks like cooling fins. the wires go to the fuel rail and then to each injector.

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

Man, I swear I think I was looking right at it. I couldn't trace the wires between the box and the injectors though. It was behind the intake box and what looked like the ECU. We need a DSM guy to tell us where TF this thing is. Does the non-turbo have them?

fiznat

Soooorrry guysss!! All my DIYs will be fixed tomorrow (Easter Sunday) I swear!!

Ezzo

please excuse my thread necromancy but if anyone has a backup of the pictures it would be a great help.

jpadilla12
Car: 240sx

Go to Turbo240 and check out the forum under tech. They have the resistor install there.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Ezzo wrote:please excuse my thread necromancy but if anyone has a backup of the pictures it would be a great help.
I'll get Fiz on it...

Ezzo

awesome, I didn't even know AMS/turbo240 had a forum. good to know. thanks for the link.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”