DIY Active suspension accumulators

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Rex
Car: None

ScottJackson & Texasoil if either of you (or any NICO-naut) would like to contribute to this thread by all means please do so. BluntSmoker please feel free to add any additional information on the how-to as well.

Thanks.

I've added more and hopefulyl once we get the details/information together we can make a usefule/education article from this.

NOTE: If anyone feels I've left out or "messed anything up" in my copy/paste (slight edit for spelling, etc) please email me through the addy in my profile.
BluntSmoker wrote:I recharged all 9 accumulators for $140.00 this was 60,000 miles ago and three years.

The guy who did it said he felt bad because all he did his drill holes install Schrader valves with aircraft approved valves caps (good to 5000psi if valve fails) Cost $2-3 Each.

If you search accumulator repair you will find many kits to recharge accumulators using nitrogen tank from a local welding shop.

All the kit is this an adapter from the nitrogen tank to a locking Schrader valve adapter, open up the tank fill to proper PSI 450-650. (It may seem like it is very high pressure but these pressures are what the canisters are designed to operate under)

This Is Not a Very Difficult Operation, Accumulators on Aircraft Landing Gears Are Recharged As Often As You Might Put Air in the Tires of you car, and just as simple.

Do it yourself and Save big bucks or go to a local small aircraft repair station where they will have all the necessary equipment and know how to recharge your active system.
BluntSmoker wrote:The reason I had my accumulators recharged at an aircraft shop is there familiarity with nitrogen charged accumulators plus its right next to my hanger.

The operation is very simple I watch the guy do it first; he drilled and tapped the accumulator. Next, he installed the Schrader valves. Then connected to nitrogen tank to the Schrader valve recharged the accumulators.

My recommendation is to purchase Schrader valves and caps that are FAA approved.

MS20813-1B Caps which are used for Schrader valves, tire valves, accumulators and other high-pressure applications. These Caps have a special rubber sealing washer and are rated for high pressure units up to 5000 PSI. So if the valve does fail the cap is a failsafe for maintaining the proper pressure.

Further, Scott Jackson another member of this board has had his accumulators recharged (DIY) at his local John Deere Center and has posted the pictures. He states:

zer...03132

“The accums were charged at the local John Deere dealership. They have nitrogen accumulators on tractors and combines and some of those charged to 1300+psi.

I only went with 600psi on mine. They have a simple gauge with fittings that have a hand operated valve on the nitrogen tank (like what you'd get from a welding supply place) and the other end threads onto the schrader valve.”
BluntSmoker wrote:Accumulators have been used and are currently used in many applications which include farming and aviation. Accumulators use incompressible fluid and a compressed gas, spring or raised mass to store potential energy. Accumulators are used in fluid power systems to store energy, absorb shock, and maintain system pressure

The accumulator’s on the Infiniti’s active suspension system are piston type accumulators (See pic)

Unfortunately, in the final design infiniti never included a gas valve/Schrader valve for recharging.

Thus, in order to recharge the accumulator you must drill a hole and install a Schrader valve.

Recharged to OEM specifications (psi): may be precisely calculated at http://www.wilkesandmclean.com/formulas/index.html please note the actual formulas used by the calculators. These calculators use the size and dimensions of the accumulator to mathematically determined the proper PSI.

Hydraulic repair facilities are also very familiar with accumulators and do this type of work every day. They have the expertise and facilities to drill tap and filled with nitrogen to the precise PSI.
Jeff Williams wrote:I feel pretty safe, landing in commercial and private aircraft, so letting some aircraft repairman charge the accumulators in my Q would not scare me. I doubt I would go to the nearest welding supply place for schrader valves. Heck, I am in the air conditioning business, we use schrader valves and Nitrogen daily. We just don't get much over 600 PSI with it. I too, thought they were charged "Well over 2000 PSI".

Now, to get an "a" Q without upsetting the misses......
texasoil wrote:... I do wish I could do my recharging process with less time and cost--but 5 years of development do not show how. Simply "drilling and taping and screwing in" is far from what's required for a warrantable and safe recharge.*What about the metal chips that fall inside? Can't remove them through a 1/4" hole.*What about the sludged up oil I usually find inside them?*What about the broken piston ring lands or worn piston rings I sometimes find?*How are they inspected--boroscope? or look see from arms length?

My actual time averages around 12 hours per set of 9 accumulators, and 8 hours per set of 4 strut units only. Measured many times. Parts & supplies cost is a little over $26 per accumulator. I am the largest single non-aircraft supply purchaser of the aircraft service valves I use. Right now there is a 8 week back-order on the normal valves and I am having to use valves costing over $50/accumulator. Nitrogen--its the only really cheap supply--about $1.00 per strut accumulator and $5 per main accumulator average--depending on mix of strut units to mains--but the special high pressure regulator and charging hoses are far from cheap. Low cost welding regulators simply will not achieve the much higher pressures needed for the Infiniti system. (the OEM presures are quite different than those mentioned in this thread) I guess one could use a simple needle valve and pressure gauge and fill to a pressure and close off the valve--but that sure doesn't achieve uniformity in charge pressure-side to side and elsewhere its highly desirable.

Ever seen what happens when a high pressure hose on a very high pressure gas supply bursts? It can easily take off an arm or take your life. A "blow-out" of a valve when charging or "in service"--where pressures can exceed 5 times the charging pressure-- would launch a high velocity projectile-just don't get in the way. Have the simple tap and screw in valves been hydrotested to determine the actual blow-out failure pressure? One has to remember that John Deere (BTW I grew up on JD tractors) and aircraft hydraulics do not experience the potential/probable very high overpressure that rough road bumps can cause in the Infiniti system. A 5000# rated aircraft valve won't fail, but it will blow-out of the steel shell of the Infiniti accumulator (which is much thinner than the aircraft component for which it was intended). So, one CAN do it at lower cost than I charge. If you can find someone to donate their time,expertise,and equipment and no inspection, cleaning, testing, etc.. However, I do advise extreme caution when working with compressible gas (nitrogen) at these pressures. It is many times more dangerous than hydraulic oil one has to work with in swapping out the accumulators. Be safe--work smartly.
ScottJackson wrote:The accumulators are quite thick and if you get the right tap, there's a lot of threads to hold in the schrader valve. But the steel of the accumulators is thick, and hard so it is not a walk in thyne park to drill them. At least it wasn't for me. It does take some effort and Keith's service is only mildly over-priced for the labor involved around this area. I live in a very rural and POOR area so I would say that anywhere else in the country his prices are very fair. The only reason I would recommend doing the job yourself is if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and know how to sharpen drill bits and have the common sense to drain the oil from the accumulator, THOROUGHLY clean it out (I used aerosol brake parts cleaner) and check it for leaks before installing. For most folks, I would suggest using Keith for your recharge. He is very knowledgeable. I'm sure my 600psi was a low charge but I too am concerned with safety and my accums were completely empty so even a half charge feels much better than before. If you are mechanically inclined and will see to it that you do things carefully and get the proper size and taper tap for the STAINLESS STEEL schrader valves, you can save some $$$ if you have a lot of time on your hands. I think these cars are old enough and have dropped in value enough that it's obvious there are people like me who own them that don't have the $ to perform luxury car professional maintenance all the time. So, instead of seeing people convert to standard suspension, who may have the time and ability to do their own but not the cash to have Keith do them, it is important to show that it can be done on the cheap. A boroscope would be handy. I don't have one, yet, and I hope none of my other accumulators turn out to be leakers. Basically, it is a somewhat involved job and does have safety concerns attached, but it can be done if $1200 isn't feasible to some poor active Q owners like myself.
ScottJackson wrote:Yes, the accumulators probably need quite a bit more than 600psi. I would suspect around 800-1000. Page FA-112 of the service manual tests the active by going from 256 to 1422psi. The pressure on the schrader valve isn't some incredible amount. Even if it hits 3000psi inside the accumulator when hitting a large bump, that's not 3000lbs of force against the actual valve as it is far less than a square inch. The thread contact between the valve and threaded hole in accumulator is PLENTY and I would never worry about one blowing out if the correct tap was used to cut the threads and the valve was tightened with loctite. Even though I only put 600psi in mine to start with, doesn't mean I wasted my efforts. The ride is greatly improved and once the valve is in, it's easy to recharge for next to nothing as I wish. Keith does have more knowledge and I have little doubt he does more thorough work when charging an accumulator but it should be buyer's discression where they buy recharged accumulators. I'm a poor farmer hick with no class or culture but I do like my active Q and I liked my non active Q also. I like my 635CSi bmw a bit more and 540i even more than that. I can't afford any of them but I do enjoy them and try to do my best to keep them running and make the best decisions I can as far as maintenance and how best to go about that. Fact is, luxury car or not, the Q is an inexpensive car and FEW people who have large amounts of cash will buy one that's over 10 years old. Like Donnie in "The Big Lebowski", due to poor resale and depreciation they are now out of their element and we must do the best we can with what we have for resources and what is needed to keep the car functional. To be honest, when I bought my active Q, I didn't have a clue what the little "a" meant on the trunk lid. I soon did figure it out and I love it, OEM spec accumulators or not.

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

I have always wondered about this but never had an active car to look at.

Great post

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

I have a 94 BASE model.I first drove the Q in Oct of 91. My buddy had just purchased the 92 A model. He had gotten an upgrade with 16” BBS wheels and 225/50 tires. After driving it, I was hooked immediately. It felt exactly the way I thought a sport sedan should feel. However after I drove the standard model I was somewhat disappointed with its handling or lack thereof.So when I bought mine I knew that I’d have to change a few things with the suspension.

If I had known of Texas in 99 when I was looking for my Q, I would've probably bought the A instead. Oh well!!!

D.

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

Personally I am glad 'bluntsmoker' understands accumulators and the fundamentals of the Infiniti Active Suspension system. All I do (basically) is clean them up inside and out, and figure out how to add nitrogen back into where it was and keep it there. The devil is in the details.

My experience ranges from near perfect vacuum at both extremely low (-400F) and high (+850F) temperatures, to pressures as high as 65,000 PSI. With enough money and hardware, you CAN contain most anything.

The challenge was/is how to make it convenient, safe and relatively easy for Q45a owners to rehabilitate the active suspension system. It IS NOT safe for most Q45a owners (or 99%+ of auto repair shops) to attempt a DIY modification and recharge of the accumulators and I will never be party to that.

Specialty hydraulic repair shops do this kind of work all the time--on industrial systems--but not the Q45a accumulators, and many of the techniques they use on industrial stuff is not workable on the Qship system

That is the reason I will not disclose charging pressures--some 'poor innocent trusting 'victim' used the pressures Keith (aka TexasOil) gave him and the thing blew up--sue Keith.

If one is good enough, one can replicate the calculations (the referenced web site is of no value for this problem BTW), experiments and prototypes and arrive at suitable recharging pressures and a reliable, cost effective way to seal them. Do the stress calcs to see how big a hole you drill and where you punch it reduces the strength of the end shells. Do the calcs on thread pull-out strength (at what thread efficeincy?), and at what % deformation of the shell to see if it will leak or blow out. But first you have to figure out what the accumulator shell is made of--it ain't plain carbon steel. Run a hydro-test or a few to leak/burst to prove your design is safe and reliable. Then figure out what drill grind angle and lubricant will give a smooth hole free from tearing (micro-cracks that might lead to leaks), and what tap material, thread profile and lubricant results in high quality threads for maximum strength.

People who have the knowledge and skills to do their own thing certainly can --so long as they do not violate my copyright, intelluctual property, trade-secrets, patent and trademark rights, or cast dispersion on my name and reputation..

redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

texasoil wrote:Specialty hydraulic repair shops do this kind of work all the time--on industrial systems--but not the Q45a accumulators, and many of the techniques they use on industrial stuff is not workable on the Qship system
I said this exact same thing on BS's thread!! I'm feeling ignored.
texasoil wrote:People who have the knowledge and skills to do their own thing certainly can --so long as they do not violate my copyright, intelluctual property, trade-secrets, patent and trademark rights, or cast dispersion on my name and reputation..
Less than .0045% of the US population works with Hydraulics(source: US Demographics magazine). Plus I think you are safe here at this forum since no-one want's to do this for other Q members.

red

Rex
Car: None

I've updated the starting post.

Let's try to keep this thread a bit more "technical".

BluntSmoker
Car: Q45a

REFERANCE MATERIAL

(Please see picture of piston accumulator bellow which was referenced in the 3rd-quote supra)

Active suspension recharge with pictiures (Toyota board):

http://www.toyotaimportsforum....=4236

Brakes and Nitrogen Accumulators

http://www.southdevonrailway.o....html

http://www.southdevonrailway.o....html

Hydraulic or Accumulator repair facilities can mathematically and precisely calculate the correct working PSI by measuring the dimensions of the accumulator they do this every day.

Professional accumulator rebuilding is available and Inexpensively priced from one of the companies that repair or manufacturer accumulators (for reference only)

There are many others see / search hydraulic repair facility Bosch Rexroth Corporation (Manuf. & Service)Hoffman Estates, IL Eaton Corp., Hydraulics Div. (Manuf. & Service)Eden Prairie, MN ENERPAC (Manufacturer)Milwaukee, WI HYDAC INTERNATIONAL (Manufacturer)Bethlehem, PA Milwaukee Cylinder (Manufacturer)Cudahy, WI Cross Manufacturing, Inc. (Manufacturer)Lewis, KS Blacoh Fluid Control, Inc. (Manufacturer)Riverside, CA CAT PUMPS (Manufacturer)Minneapolis, MN Valcor Engineering Corporation (Manuf. & Sole Distrib.)Springfield, NJ Vindum Engineering, Inc. (Distributor)San Ramon, CA Advanced Fluid Power, Inc. (Manuf. & Distrib.)Theodore, AL Advanced Fluid Systems, Inc. (Distributor)Royersford, PA Agro's Hydraulics (Distributor)India Air & Hydraulic Power, Inc. (Manufacturer)Wyckoff, NJ Airline Hydraulics Corp. (Distrib. & Service)Bensalem, PA Airmo, Inc. (Manuf. & Service)Minneapolis, MN American Lab & Systems (Manuf., Distrib. & Service)Los Angeles, CA ANANDSHEEL HYDRAULICS (Manuf. & Distrib.)India Bosch Rexroth Industrial Hydraulics (Manufacturer)Bethlehem, PA Carolina Fluid Components, LLC (Distributor)Roanoke, VA Catching Fluidpower, Inc. (Distributor)Bolingbrook, IL Cross Fluid Power (Distrib. & Service)Greensboro, NC CTG Ltd. (Manuf. & Service)United Kingdom Delafield Fluid Technologies (Manuf. & Distrib.)Duarte, CA Dewald Fluid Power Company, Inc. (Distributor)Mishawaka, IN Douce Hydro, Inc. (Manufacturer)Sterling Heights, MI Dymatic, Inc. (Distributor)Chicago, IL Epe Industrial Filters Inc. (Manufacturer)Barrington, IL Federal Fluid Power Inc. (Distributor)Plymouth, MI Fixed Point, Inc. (Distributor)Spartanburg, SC Flexicraft Industries (Manufacturer)Chicago, IL Flodraulic Group Inc. (Distributor)Indianapolis, IN Fluid Energy Controls, Inc. (Manufacturer)Los Angeles, CA Fluid Power Sales, Inc. (Manuf. & Distrib.)Syracuse, NY Hader Industries Inc. (Manuf. & Service)New Berlin, WI Hader-Seitz Inc. (Manuf. & Service)New Berlin, WI Hampton Hydraulics, LLC (Manuf. & Service)Hampton, IA Haskel International, Inc. (Manufacturer)Burbank, CA HAWE Hydraulics (Manufacturer)Charlotte, NC HAWE Hydraulik (Manufacturer)Germany Henry Technologies (Manufacturer)Melrose Park, IL Hope Group, The (Distributor)Northborough, MA HYDAC Technology GmbH (Manufacturer)Germany Hydra-Power Systems, Inc. (Manuf. & Distrib.)Portland, OR Hydraquip Corporation (Distributor)Houston, TX Hydril Co. (Manufacturer)Houston, TX Hydro Leduc GmbH (Manufacturer)Germany Hydro-Line, Inc. (Manufacturer)Rockford, IL Innovative Hydraulic Design, Inc. (Manuf. & Distrib.)Houston, TX J.E. Myles, Inc. (Distrib. & Service)Troy, MI J.H. Bennett & Company, Inc. (Distributor)Novi, MI Kinemotive Corporation (Manufacturer)Farmingdale, NY Kocsis Technologies, Inc. (Manuf. & Service)Alsip, IL LDi/Membranoflex Ltd. (Manufacturer)United Kingdom Lorimer Corporation (Manuf., Distrib. & Service)Longview, TX Miller Fluid Power Corp. (Manufacturer)Des Plaines, IL Miller, R. L. Inc. (Distributor)Bethel Park, PA Morrell Inc. (Distributor)Auburn Hills, MI Norman Equipment Co. (Distributor)Bridgeview, IL OilAir Hydraulics, Inc. (Manufacturer)Houston, TX Parker Hannifin / Aerospace / Control Systems Division - Commercial (Manufacturer) Harrisville, UT Parker Hannifin / Aerospace / Control Systems Division - Millitary (Manuf. & Service) Irvine, CA Parker Hannifin / Automation / Cylinder Division (Manufacturer)Des Plaines, IL Parker Hannifin / Climate & Industrial Control / Parker Refrigeration Eur (Manufacturer) Parker Hannifin / Climate & Industrial Control / Refrigeration Aftermarket (Manufacturer) Broadview, IL Parker Hannifin / Climate & Industrial Control / Refrigeration & Air Cond. (Manufacturer) Greenfield, TN Parker Hannifin - Climate Systems Div. (Manufacturer)New Haven, IN Parker Hannifin / Hydraulics / Hydraulic Accumulator Division (Manufacturer)Rockford, IL Parker Hannifin / Hydraulics / Mobile Hydraulic Systems Division (Manufacturer) Parker Hannifin / Other Divisions / Atlas Cylinders Division (Manufacturer)Eugene, OR Power Drives, Inc. (Distributor)Buffalo, NY Power Systems, Inc. - GA (Distributor)Alpharetta, GA Price Engineering Company, Inc. (Distributor)Hartland, WI Primet Fluid Power (Distributor)Hammond, IN Quality Hydraulics & Pneumatics, Inc. (Distributor)Mundelein, IL Refrigeration Research, Inc. (Manufacturer)Brighton, MI Robbins & Bohr, Inc. (Distributor)Chattanooga, TN Roy E. Hanson Jr. Mfg. (Manufacturer)Los Angeles, CA Royal Hydraulics Inc. (Distributor)Northridge, CA SCHRUPP (Manufacturer)Parker, PA Senior Flexonics / Metal Bellows Division (Manufacturer)Sharon, MA Smiths Aerospace - Mechanical Systems (Manufacturer)Grand Rapids, MI SouthWestern Controls (Distributor)Houston, TX SPX Hytec (Manufacturer)Owatonna, MN Swanson Industries, Inc. (Manuf. & Service)Morgantown, WV Tobul Accumulator, Inc. (Manufacturer)Bamberg, SC Vektek, Inc. (Manufacturer)Emporia, KS West Craft Manufacturing, Inc. (Manuf. & Service)Alto, TX Westfield Hydraulics, Inc. (Manufacturer)Pacoima, CA Wilkes & Mc Lean Ltd. (Manufacturer)Schaumburg, IL Wilson Company (Distributor)Austin, TX Young Engineering and Manufacturing, Inc. (Manufacturer)San Dimas, CA Zemarc Corporation (Distributor)Los Angeles, Ca
Modified by BluntSmoker at 1:30 PM 5/27/2005

ScottJackson
Car: 91 Q45, 92 Q45a, 93 Q45, 79 BMW 635CSi, 95 BMW 540i

I just did drilled and tapped 3 more of my accumulators yesterday evening. I finally bought some decent quality drill bits and asked a local machine shop for drilling tips. The guy said Liquid Wrench was the best cutting oil he knew of, and it's cheap. Can't beat that. Also, I learned that I was damaging my bits by turning the drill too fast and not taking frequent pauses in the drilling to let it stay cool. So with a smooth and intermittent drilling method with the liquid wrench, I drilled and tapped all 3 in about 20 minutes. It took a little time to clean them out thoroughly but still the whole job with new valves installed with loctite took about an hour for the 3 accums. So I take back my previous comment about the metal of the accumulators being hard. It was just that I was doing a poor job of drilling and my bits were cheapies. I did take the caps off my front two accumulators (metal caps with little rubber gasket to seal if the core failed) and found one was leaking a smidge. I tightened the core and it sealed up. So even with a new valve, make sure the core is tight. A little tiny bit of liquid thread sealant would probably not hurt on the threads of the core.

Return to “General Chat”