Early Model JDM

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Covert

Does anyone know if if the Canvas portion of the top is the same for the US spec and the JDM convert

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Great question!

I do not believe it would be - the JDM vert was not likely done by ASC as the US-spec one was.

PLEASE tell me you own a JDM vert. If so, I am desperately seeking some very specific photos of certain parts of the car....

Covert

I do in fact own one and am doing a restore on her at the moment. I really want a quality top for her but am having a bit of difficulty sourcing one here in Japan. I was pretty sure there different but it has been such a ***** that I had to ask. It was as I understand it the rarest Silvia ever made and also the most expensive (including the S15). http://www.goo-net.com/catalog....html An interesting link on Silvia production. I plan to put a site up with pics of the restore, engine swap, and set up but that might be a month or few from now. If you have any requests I will do my best to help.

Covert

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Spectacular!!!

Covert, can you take some pics of the rear side panels from various angles?

As you may know, I have removed the door pillars from my vert, and am looking to further remove the "hump" at the top interior (right behind the door). I am also considering a hard tonneau cover, much like the Japan-only Silvia convertible has.

I am particularly interested in WHERE your seatbelts attach?

I'd even be interested in a phone conversation at your convenience, as I've been researching this for some time to no avail.

Thanks!

nab911

AZ If you get that hard tonneau cover please post how you got it and the possiblity of getting more made because thats a great idea.

Covert

AZ,

I will snap a few pics for you after work tonight. I am trying to find the FSM for it at the moment. Only have copies at the moment. I would like to see some detailed pics of the USDM car frame rails (undercarriage) and canvass mounting points. If you would like to call I am off work 5pm japan standard time.

Covert

Covert

Just found out The production dates for the JDM convert were 5/1988 thru 1990 the total production run was 603 units.

AZhitman
Administrator

Looking forward to talking with you, Ace. It's 1 a.m. here when you get off work, so we may have to wait for the weekend.

If it's more convenient for you to reach me, we are on MST here in AZ, and I'm usually on my phone from 8 am to 9 pm at 1-602-828-8908.

Covert

AZ,

Here are a few pics of the areas you are concerned with. As I said previously its in the process of getting ready to go to the body shop. But if your interested in pics of the interior pieces let me know.

My A31 Cifero, R32 type M Skyline, Premira T4, Pulsar GTI-R and a few Coopers in the Back (also have a TII RX-7 at the shop) Too many projects. Any way give me a call this weekend if you want some more specific info

Cheers,

Ace

Took a sec to figure out the pic posting (cars yes, computers questionable)
Modified by Covert at 10:47 PM 4/5/2005

nab911

All pics are broken.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

ill take one of those projects of your hands...

also from the dates you posted i wouldve thought it had a CA, did you swap the redtop in?

Covert

Hey,

I did swap it in, but have deemed it not worthy for the project so it is coming out. Going to go RB, I like the weight displacement of the RB it the rear heavy vert.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

YEAH!!! Finally someone sticks up for the RB in the 'vert!!!

That is a sweet car! I love that factory hard boot! We gotta find a way to duplicate that here in the states.

Greg.. you can pull that off can't you?

When you do.. I want the second one!

Covert

Thanks,

I hope that it will one day soon truly be a sweet car.

RB, SR, CA, KA all are great engines. I like SR for high rpm feel and light weight. I think intention (Street, drift, drag, auto-x) and weight to HP ratio are the defining factors for building a car. I have seen unbelievable performance from all of these engines with a proper build. I really like RB motors for there ability to be beaten to death and still run well. I am going to use a big RB in this car because I don't intend to drift it. With good reason, for I would hate to see it smashed into a rail. Not to say you can't drift a RB in a Silva it just requires a different set up. Spring rate being of up-most importance, 8's and 6's just won't make it. I am going to stitch weld, foam and brace the car to handle the hp as our car have a lot of flex. There are plenty of ways to balance our cars, but with my HP goals, driving intentions and design concept the RB works best for this project. If I was building a drift vert I might use a 2.2 stroked sr with worked over top end. One of the big complaints in the Japanese vert forum is that the car is under powered and nothing cures that like more displacement.

Well to many beers to type any more. Are their an vert members out their that have had an SR and a RB in their Vert that could give us a good comparison?

Cheers, Covert
Modified by Covert at 3:52 PM 4/6/2005

Danrc30
Car: 93 240SX convertible, 81 280ZX-T, 85 300ZX-T

Eikon wrote:YEAH!!! Finally someone sticks up for the RB in the 'vert!!!

That is a sweet car! I love that factory hard boot! We gotta find a way to duplicate that here in the states.

Greg.. you can pull that off can't you?

When you do.. I want the second one!
Sigh... Unfortunately, it can't be done to a US model without major replacement/fabrication of parts. You would have to replace the entire top mechanism to the JDM specs or make your own. And that would olny be the beginning. See, the US model has the rear part of the top bolted to the car in the trunk area. The JDM model has the "Mercedes" style top where the back part flips up, the hard cover goes down, then the back part goes down and sits on top of the hard cover. We can't just add this hard cover to our cars unfortunately. The hinges would be going through the rear window of our top. Sorry guys, I'd love to have one too... If you were to tackle this poject, it would most likely cost as much as buying a Mercedes that already has it....

One thing I do see that's interesting is there are holes and release cables for a removable hardtop in the hard cover. Covert, do you have the removable hardtop or do you know of any in Japan?

Covert

Hi,

I haven't heard of a hard top but now that you mentioned it I will check the J-vert forum. If one doesn’t exist which is probably the case. It will go on my list of stuff that needs to be one offed. You guys are actually really lucky to have all the products support for your cars when Autech build the car over here they just stopped supporting the car after #603 rolled off the line. So one frigen screw for the car costs a million yen. And then on top of that if they do find the part you need in the back of the warehouse there not even interested in selling for a million yen. So I have to beg for it and the like... B@$#erd$

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

pics with the top up?

jdms13rhd
Car: Silvia Convertible, RB30 Ceffy

Wow I havnt been in this forum for a bit! I own 2 S13 Convertibles here in Canada. I did a S13 SR swap to one and compleatly restored it and made a custom top. I can prob help you out if you have any questions! The other I am just painting at this moment and I got a S14 SR in her and skyline 5 lug and S15 seats and late modle trim on the inside!

Pretty much if you guys have any questions about this convertible you can ask me. I know every inch of them and have stitch welded my red one in the front end and other places!

I have always herd that they made a few hundred. It is nice to know the exact ammount for once. Ive tryed to look for info many times but never came up with the information you came up with!

The blue one I am doing up right now I was thinking of a S14 front or S14 fron on her! I have never really wanted to throw in a RB into one just because these cars with lots of power arnt too much fun! They are way to rear heavy for drifting well to have fun drifting and they twist wayyyyyy too much. My welding did help but to make the convertible compare with your A31 with a RB26 would be pretty tough.

Im in the middle of building a A31 Cefiro with RB30 at the monment. Im building my RB30 this year. I got the bottom end ready to go and going with the 26 head but till thats done Im going to buy a wreaked R33 and swap the 26 fron that with the rb25 tranie just so I can keep my reputation!!!

But like I say you guys should add me to your MSN or whatever you use! Do you guys use SKYPE over the internet! We can have 3 way calles from Japan to Canada and Ausie and its free! I use it every day!

If you want to cheak out my web site for more of my other cars and more pictures of my Red Silvia convertible you can go to http://www.worldcarlink.com

Anyway here are just a fe pictures of mine with the new top which by the way cost me just over $1800.00 CAD but is very nice and I am happy with it!

wow I can really get out of hand with the pictures. Sorry for intruding into your thread. I just wanted to show you and I really like your cars as I have all the same ones pretty much!! Have a good day!!!!

AZhitman
Administrator

Allen, that thinbg is GORGEOUS!!!

Can you start another thread wth more pics?

I know there were more than a few hundred droptops made in the US, we're in the process of figuring out how many.

Also, we're working on a registry of all remaining verts, which we'll be announcing in the next few months.

jdms13rhd

Yes I can start a new thread! I will take some time though. Ive got hundreds of pictures!

But hey thats an awsome idea on gregistering all the old verts!!!! I know there were lots more than just 600 of the verts in north america. Ive seen lots. I got a friend with one here in town and he wants to throw in a R32 RB26 so I was going to help him out with that!

Anyways I will prob start one of this red one and then start one of this blue one too. It will prob be even nicer!

Thanks man!!!! Let me know if you need vins!!!!

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Covert wrote:Just found out The production dates for the JDM convert were 5/1988 thru 1990 the total production run was 603 units.
The 603 mentioned above is for the S13 JDM 'verts.

Not sure how many were produced by Autech for the North American market. I would guess somewhere around 20,000 cars between the 3 model years sold? that's just my guess....

I found a review by:Jim MatejaChicago TribuneAugust 23, 1992

It states, "Nissan says to keep the 240SX convertible a limited edition it will build 20,000 copies and then no more. Through Aug. 7, sales were at 10,521 or just past the half-way point.".

Modified by Eikon at 10:12 AM 2/14/2006

jdms13rhd

Cool info^^^

Covert

hey,

I have been down in Indo doing some work for a few months, Made it back to japan a few weeks ago and have just started to get back into my car progects. It is good to see that there is another JDM vert on the board. I came accrosed some production info and figured I would post it up.

Velvet blue S13 (430) Green two-tone Lime S13 (50)Warm two-tone white S13 (70) Cranberry red S13 (40) Dark, green (10)

The other 3 were made to order for Nissan.

top_secret

one of the best threads on the convertible forum so far. those jdm convertibles are so much nicer in execution than the ASC crap. If I had one of those nice flip up tonneau's I might consider keeping the soft top instead of reengineering things.

jdms13rhd

wow cool. I didnt know they came in other colors!!!!!Were they all still auto CA turbo?

Covert

Yeah they all came with ca18det and 4 speed auto gearboxes. They are also the most expensive Silvia ever produced. The came in first at 3,252,000 yen followed by the S15 Varietta at 2,895,000 yen. I am actually surprised that you got them as they fetch a good price over here. The last one I saw sell to Canada went for 30,000+ CND. It had a s15 front-end conversion and a new top and a stock engine. If you are in need of part be warned they are extremely expensive if available. A new rubber seal for in-between the top and windscreen set me back over 70,000 yen. How are your rocker panels? Check for repairs as if the car has spent any time outside they rust badly from the inside out due to improper drainage from the top. If you have any questions let me know and if you find out any vert specific parts that cross over from the N. American vert to ours post it up. Covert

240droptop
Car: 93 240sx Convertable

haha thats my vert he speaks of and I am very clsoe to my RB swap yay for twin turbo BOOOOOOST

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”