Z32 Clear Headlight Lense

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
jschrauwen
Car: 1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp

This is basically to determine the interest level of a new product that's going to hit the street in about a month or two.I'm hoping Jerry might be ale to sticky this (or something similar) since it may turn into a lengthy thread.I'd like to first mention that this is not my product and that questions and concerns can be directed to Andy Anderson (ANDY93Z on 3ZC).

http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/...68586
jschrauwen;868149 wrote:Hi GuysFor those of you that have already registered on 3ZC, here is the link for all of the information. http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=148926 For those who haven't and will eventually if they are interested in this product, I'll try to give a brief intro.Andy "ANDY93Z" Anderson a regular member from 3ZC has already placed events in motion to have clear headlight lenses made. These new lenses will be completely clear with no exterior nipples as in the USDM Z's and have no interior fluting as is the case with every Z headlight including the Lambo guys.He has already made prototypes that have proven very very effective. So much so that he's almost doubled his functional illluminating capabilities while still using halogen bulbs in his projectors. Those of you who have already split open their headlights and by chance have hooked them and turned them on prior to replacing the fluted oem lense will know exactly what I mean by the effectiveness of our projector if not incumbered by the flutes on the oem lenses.Included in that 5 page thread is another link for another thread wherein a member did a projector (e43) swap using the Z's 2.5" projector lense in that swap. The beam pattern produced is something that is highly praised by criticall eyes on HID Planet. AT any rate that other person had though he had the ultimate headlight improvement until it came time to replace the outer lense. As soon as he did that the beam pattern got washed out and slightly blurred. So much so that it almost negated any illumination improvements that he made.The bottom line here is that this is addressing one of the Z's biggest sore spots - headlight illumination. Although many of us have already done an HID upgrade, this lense upgrade could be characterized as improving your illumination by the same amount percentage-wise after the HID refit. To me this is fantastic news. On top of all of this Andy has already invested a measurable amount of personal funds in the R&D of this product and as a result has found a manufacturer and is basically committed to having 500 pairs made. In order for this to work, he's asked a few people (like me) to spread the word. Something I don't mind doing. Andy has already established himself as a bonafide maker of Z goodies that can be verified in the various regional club. He's made ZX logo plates to replace the Nissan hamburger, ZX center caps for our wheels, ZX keychains, ball hats, licence plate holders etc, etc etc. This is one of two big projects that he's getting very excited about. His thread will also offer the option of having the lenses tinted. What you should also know that by him willing to have the manufacturer produce 500 sets means that he wants to be able to sell all 500 sets. With that goal in mind, you can anticipate a very very good product for a very very reasonable price. Don't even ask what the estimated cost will be because I and he doesn't know for sure and it's not good business to speculate in public less the public will challenge anything that's not within those confines. Lets just say that Andy's not planning to retire on what little profit margin is achieved. Heck, he's not even sure if he's going to break even.I know for my self that anything that's going to produce the results that I've seen in past R&D pics and other's headlight projects, is definitely going to get my support and money.I strongly urge anyone who's been looking for that edge on better headlight illumination, be it to augment their HID upgrade, improve on their halogen bulb's (globe's) capability or looking for that perfect outer lense after doing a projector upgrade, should seriously consider Andy's new clear headlight lense.

No I'm not the middleman who will take orders or will field all questions. I will answer some of the easier ones but I will always defer to Andy.He's already had someone develope a website to sell this and a few other future products that will enable the buyer to do the click and buy now type of thing from.So, take the time to register on 3ZC if you've got aspirations of improving your Z's lighting.

Cheers,John
http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=148926
ANDY93Z;1644230 wrote:Thinking about producing these:

I am making them out of Polycarbonate , the same stuff on late model cars. I'm only running some Sylvania "blue" type of bulb , not any kind of Hid. The light dispersment? (spelling) at night is awesome...reminds me of my 2002 300ci BMW we used to own. My Drivers side lamp goes down the road about 45-50 yards perfectly now and the Passenger Side (ditch) side goes down maybe 70-75 yards perfectly too. The light "cutsoff" about 5-6 ft off the road and looks really great.

I will make these for you guys if enough are interested. Please keep in mind that the ones you see are my prototypes and before I invest anymore money I'd like to know if you are interested in have a clean shaven headlamp lens.

Thanks for looking , Andy
jschrauwen;1644535 wrote:I can't tell you how desireable a clear healight cover is. My experiences with other car forums where a similar oem fluted headlight cover posed a significant problem. People who tried to modify their headlights through conversions from standard halogen to Xenon projector would invariably have a fluted oem cover to contend with. Although those covers were made of a plastic/polycarbonite material it was extremely hard to remove those flutes.I don't have the link right now but last year there was a member hear who made some real significant improvements to his lighting situation by replacing our halogen projector with an e46 Xenon projector. His project work was top drawer and every detail was done with precision. His posted pics of the beam patterns (without glass cover istalled) during the build process were very inspiring. It wasn't until he replaced the oem fluted glass cover on that his project went south. The fluting made a mess of his beam pattern and distorted the light output to a point that it negated all of his hard work. He never finished his How-to thread and I'm sorry that his efforts didn't come to fruition.Now Andy's new headlight cover removes that obstacle that this person had and I'm hoping he'll see this thread and capture a renewed approach to his project.So, for me, this new headlight cover presents a number of opportunities to the Z owner. Not only will it motivate me to crack open my headlights for the first time, but while I'm at it I'll be able to clean the inside of the projector lense. Those of you not aware but a significant amount of potential light output from our headlights is compromised by the umteen years of accumulated dust and grime particles that does accumulate on the inside portion of the projector lense. We all have it and some more than others. Thosethat have cracked open their headlights and have cleaned their projector lense can attest to the amount of film that does accumulate. Not to mention the significant improvement to light output that's achieved by this simple cleaning is the fact that the removal of the flutes from the inside of the lense even compounds the effectiveness. It makes it all worthwhile for me now to finally open up my headlights and basically kill two birds with one stone.Again, Andy kudos to you for taking things to the next level so that the rest of us may benefit.

*EDIT*Here's the thread I made reference to;http://www.300zxclub.com/showt...t=e46JDM RICE hasn't made a post since 21/8/08. I don't know if any member here knows him personally, but it may be uplifting for him to know that there's still possibilities for his project now.
jschrauwen;1644761 wrote:Perhaps I didn't quite get my point across correctly. I believe everyone who owns a Z32 with the usual amount of mileage will have a sufficient amount of film on their lense. The lense I speak of is not the clear lense that Andy is making but the 2.5" diameter lense used for the projector within the headlight. Most won't notice or for that matter realize that there is a film over them on the inside portion because it is very uniform in it's coverage. Our projector lenese are one of the very few that are clear whereas most other projectors they're opague.Here's something that may help the non believers about their projector lense;http://www.twinturbo.net/net/v...62286

What most of our lenses look like. Notice that there's no REAL indication that they've got anything on them;

Now the same projector with it partially cleaned;Notice the difference? Of course those that have unreal low mileage will probably be less coated but for the majority of us, consider yours to be as coated or even more.

Another combination of cleaned projectors courtesy of Biz;from Biz as well;http://www.300zxclub.com/showt...aning

Another example; http://www.300zxclub.com/showt...aning

Now that we can see that our projector lenses need cleaning, we can justify cracking open our headlights to do this and at the same time install Andy's headlight cover/lense.Why do we need to use Andy's headlight cover replacement as a reason to do this? I'll explain.

"JDM RICE" (one of our members) decided to do a projector retrofit after seeing Biz's accomplishments and decided upon using the Infiniti FX projectors as a suitable replacement (which was a good choice).Here's what he got for a beam pattern after they were fitted in the body of the Z headlights using the Z's 2.5" lense instead of the FZ's;[IMG] http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/5811 ... 3.jpg[/IMG]It doesn't get any better than that.

Now the same projector but with the fluted oem headlight (not projector lense) cover/lense placed back on;http://www.300zxclub.com/showt...ector

So by not only cleaning the projector lense (while the headlight is split open) but also adding a clear cover /lense we stand to improve our lighting capabilities dramatically.

More info wrt this subject;http://www.300zxclub.com/showt...ector
Andy is trying to find a dedicated soul who is willing to loan him a set of the 99/00 Spec Xenon inserts so that he can make a large reproduction run to compliment the clear lenses.

Related info.
KevinZtwin;1649491 wrote:Yeah, cost for something like that would not be worth it. You would be better off getting the film like zil32 did. He got it more as a protective film to protect his $1600 Jspec headlights, but the blue tint he has does look good. It is very slight. If the lenses came with a "built in" tint your lights would still get rock chips, etc. Get the lenses and put the protective film over it for like $20 or something. Our lights do it pretty well because all the edges of the film can be covered by the rubber around the lights.

Here is a site that I would order from, everyone else overcharges like crazy. Just order the bulk square and cut it to size (I don't know how big our lights are 8"x10"??), trying to line up the pre-cut ones are much harder. I'd get mine from this site, but perhaps you can ask Arnel where he ordered his from. I didn't ask, but I will be putting some film on these new lenses to protect them.http://www.lamin-x.com/Universal-Covers-s/289.htm

As you can see, I'm pretty pumped about this new innovation/initiative by Andy.

Cheers,John

tmeyer29
Car: 1990 300zx TT , 04 Yamaha R6

interesting.....i didnt read it too thoroughly...what are we looking at for cost

jschrauwen

tmeyer29 wrote:interesting.....i didnt read it too thoroughly...what are we looking at for cost
Final details as far as price goes hasn't been determined yet. If you take the time to go through the threads on 3ZC as they unfold you'll have a better understanding as to the progress and pricing. Andy has already sent them in to the manufacturer and the first run will be 500 sets. Anticipated return from the manufacturer is about 4 to 5 weeks.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

I actually kinda like the look of the factory headlamps with the lines but its certainly good to see people developing new products for the Z32

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Very cool. Anyone know where to get an emblem like the one on his nose panel?

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read orig post.

jschrauwen

nsrZ32 wrote:I actually kinda like the look of the factory headlamps with the lines but its certainly good to see people developing new products for the Z32
Well I'm surprised there Jerry. Having just a slightly off from oem flair to your Z I thought you might really enjoy them.

I hope I've posted this thread in the right place?

Cheers,John

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

jschrauwen wrote:Well I'm surprised there Jerry. Having just a slightly off from oem flair to your Z I thought you might really enjoy them.

I hope I've posted this thread in the right place?

Cheers,John
Yeah its fine here

I might consider a set of the inserts in black though if somebody ends up fabbing them up.

dozug
Car: 300zx Twin Turbo

Well, Im interested on this thing! My headlight is cracked, so I think this will be good time to replace mine. But the problem is money,,, Also, are the insert going to be produced,,? I want them same time if i can,,

aidanair
Car: '90 300ZX TT, '93 300ZX N/A (SOLD!)

I want the 99 inserts as well and I could go for those clear headlight lenses too.. Nice products!

camlbi
Car: 1991 300zx TT KH2,
1991 300zx TT Silver

I want a set

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

those look very nice, $500 for a set would probably put them at the end of my mods list tho.

jschrauwen

NolimitZ32 wrote:those look very nice, $500 for a set would probably put them at the end of my mods list tho.
Rest easy Anton.These clear lenses will be nowhere near that price. I'll get Andy to make an introductory post in here to let people know a little more.

Cheers,John

jschrauwen

As seen in a previous post, Andy has a bevy of other neat Z32 goodies already available to anyone - hats, center panel logo, key chains, club licence plate holders, etc, etc, etc.That said, the point of this thread is to gauge interest in an upcoming new product - clear lenses.If anyone does email Andy andy93zx@hotmail.com for anything please make reference to this thread. It will assist Andy better as to the overall interest assessment.Thanks in advance,John

ANDY93Z
Car: 1993 300ZX

"overall assesment of interest" very good one John , I don't think the 500 first run is going to quit cut it! Again thanks for your help. I've actually been a member here for quite a while and honestly forgot about this club. WFon't happen again.

savage
Car: 94 z32

that looks like a good buy...i like subtleties

ANDY93Z

Me too. Thanks. And off the subject , anyone know how to shrink these pages down so they will fit my screen

aidanair
Car: '90 300ZX TT, '93 300ZX N/A (SOLD!)

can you put me on the list andy for the lenses.. and also how is it coming with the inserts did u get the molds you needed?

ANDY93Z

aidanair wrote:can you put me on the list andy for the lenses.. and also how is it coming with the inserts did u get the molds you needed?
Havent gotten the inserts from 1990 FailrladyZ yet.....waiting on his reply. The proto lenses are officailly at the manufacturers today...yea Hopefull another 2 weeks and we will be shipping

jschrauwen

Andy has a set of the JDM (99 Spec) inserts and another set similar set enroute to him. He's waiting on a set of USDM type inserts from another 3ZC member. Once these are in place I believe Andy will be able to get the ball rolling with the mold and manufacture process. I believe a dedicated thread for that particular item will be necessary and of course posted in due course.Although Andy didn't mention it, since we have multiple threads concurrently running on 5 different Z Forums, it may be advantageous to specify what Forum you are contacting from. It'll enable Andy to have a better indication as to the interest levels from the different Forums.
aidanair wrote:can you put me on the list andy for the lenses.. and also how is it coming with the inserts did u get the molds you needed?

dozug

hi, can you put me into your list also?Thank you

ANDY93Z

dozug wrote:hi, can you put me into your list also?Thank you
Your on. No problem , just hope I don't run out on this first run and have to buy 500 more to move , no wait ...that would be ok too.

kio
Car: 1990 300ZX (non-turbo)

ANDY93Z wrote:
Your on. No problem , just hope I don't run out on this first run and have to buy 500 more to move , no wait ...that would be ok too.
Can you put me on the list too?

perana

IS there a set price? If so would you be willing to ship a set to New zealand?Fantastic job by the way.

ANDY93Z

No problem

BlackRC3
Car: 1990 Nissan Fairlady

Definitely want to be on this list as well

Weber3211
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx

I would buy some.

tmeyer29
Car: 1990 300zx TT , 04 Yamaha R6

ill take a set

ANDY93Z

Lenses are being drawn and molds made Thrusday as far as I can decipher with the manufacturer. I am hoping 2-3 weeks at most...no still no set price , will be a group buy tho at 3ZC..you guys included , I will keep you posted.

I've gotten my hands ahold of a set of '99 inserts , they are pretty rough and will take a lot of work to get the correct fittiment (?) spelling.

Worked on Stainless door sills today...having some that have just 300 ZX , some lettered Twin Turbo , and Fairlady Z. These are looking pretty good for late next month , early May. Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

carcrazyguy
Car: 89 240SX SE, 94 300ZX, 94 Q45

ANDY93Z wrote:I've actually been a member here for quite a while and honestly forgot about this club. Won't happen again.
LOL, this is a good place to go when you need a break from all of the kiddie drama and nazi-moderators at, well, you know where...that other Z forum.

dozug

Door Sills sounds sweet. I always thought about those door sills with letters "Z" in the middle with glossy coat on it. do you have picture??

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”