Z32 vs. Z33 Tie Rod Comparison

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

So I was working on my car's rack and thought it would be a great time to compare the tie rod end of a Z33 and a stock Z32 one. Many people ask what the difference is and why it matters. Well, here are some pics and some reasons to why the differences matter.

Top: Z33
Bottom: Z32

Close up of the length difference.

This is the only difference between the two tie rod ends, the overall length of the tie rod.
Now, when does this difference matter? Either when you do ackerman changes to your stock knuckles (meaning fabrication work) or you are adding tie rod end spacers for more steering angle. The longer tie rods will not work with certain spacers because you run out of adjustment. The spacer will push out the tie rods, and you have to adjust the tie rod end to compensate for it by shortening it.
With a longer tie rod, you have the possibility of running out of adjustment and not being able to get your car aligned properly. So, when using spacers, a Z33 tie rod works best. If making ackerman changes or just running no modifications to your steering, then a stock Z32 tie rod works best.

I hope this helps those with any confusion. If anyone has any questions, post up, and I will do my best to answer/ explain.

Mowerman
Car: 1990 300zx 2+2 NA

I have a question about aftermarket Z33 tie rods. I have found a set with built in spacers that are the size of the slip ons only attached to the tie rod already. would these be able to fit my Z32? and could they use another slip on for even more angle?

ArticDragon192
Car: 91 Z32 2+2

You can use those without issue. You can even run a slip on spacer, as long as there are enough threads engaging. However, the next limiting factor would be the bump stops.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”