Would you buy a Versa again?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Would you buy a Versa again knowing what you know now from owning one?

If not, what car would you buy in the same price range? Why?

If yes, would you change models (S or SL)? Transmissions? Packages? What accessories would you add or subtract?

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

We were looking for a high gas mileage vehicle as a replacement for the lineage of 1980 Honda Civic, 1994 Honda Civic, used 1999 Geo Metro, high gas mileage, short haul around town and short freeway jaunt cars we've kept in the driveway. When we bought this Versa SL we expected the same based on its 30 city/36 highway rating.

Our needs were very narrow and went for the amenities offered by the Versa for the price. We've found the Versa to be just an "OK" car and disappointing on the gas mileage, so if we were doing it again for the same price range we would get a fully loaded manual transmission Toyota Yaris or a stripped down Honda Civic.

Dealer support in general seems to be weaker than most with Nissan, although to date West Covina Nissan has been excellent. We have equally if not better Toyota and Honda dealers locally so dealer support isn't really a factor.

DejaWiz
Car: See sig for details.

Probably, but only if it's a diesel and the really cool options like rain sensing wipers and auto on/off headlights ever become available in the US.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

In a minute. My daughter already bought one straight out of college a year ago based on my experience. We're planning to sell my wife's '99 Odyssey minivan once Mexicans can import '99 vehicles this December and will probably replace it with a Versa. And once mine gets high enough in mileage it'll probably go to my son and we'll get a fourth. All CVT's. I only miss the convenience package, and my daughter always gives me a hard time because she's got it...

bikeman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

Our Versa has been almost everything we were looking for. I wanted a bit more cargo room ala the Matrix but in the little over a year we've owned it, I been able to get everything into the Versa so maybe I didn't need the added space. If fuel economy is the priority and city driving is the norm, this may not be the car for you. We're getting mid to upper 30's on the highway which meets my expectations.

David

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

If I had to go back to the day that I bought my V I would get the SL (still 6MT) with the iKey. The comfort of the V is, in my opinion, unmatched in the price range, and that is more important to me than a few mpg.

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

the only change i would have made is getting the 6MT instead of the 4speed automatic i have now.... maybe one day when its paid off i will swap in a 6MT, but i have no real complaints with the versa.... its everything i was looking for in a car, when it found me...

Slither

It depends what else is on the market next time. I'd certainly be curious about the Cube. I got my V almost 2 years ago so I'd have to look again at the new Matrix and re-bodied[?] Fit. Next time I would definitley want a car better on gas or the V with availability of turbo-diesel.

I don't have any regrets about getting the V it seemed quite different to any car I'd had before and reminded me [a bit] of the old Renault 16.
Modified by Slither at 7:10 PM 7/7/2008

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

I would buy another in a heart beat. The comfort in this car is just like the old Renault's I use to own.

The only change I would make if it were available would be to have the Renault 1.5L K5K Diesel which when installed in Versa's and Clio's overseas delivers upper 40's to low 50's MPG around town and on the highways.

P.S after my mom had a ride in my V, she got a V for herself.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Wouldn't buy another Versa, I've been plagued with small problems that add up to a lot of unnecessary shop time.

If I had to buy a new car to replace it, I'd likely go with the upcoming Elantra Touring or, if I weren't driving as much, a Sonata.

jmaclean
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

To be quite honest, the Versa was a compromise. I traded in my small SUV (Kia Sorento, 14/ 19 mpg) for an essentially new car (2008 used - 1,200 miles on it) at my brother's dealership while visiting in Cleveland in Dec 2007. The comfort in the driver's seat, PLUS better mileage than what I had been getting, PLUS no repairs for awhile added up to a no-brainer. I didn't even know about/ hadn't ever seen a 'V' before that, and couldn't hold a stick next to the Hyundai Tucson that I was considering in most of the above categories, plus cabin quietness. It's not exactly a sexy car, but I thought it would be a good, transitional car until technology comes up with a hypermiler vehicle. I'd much rather have had an Infiniti G35.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Indeed, I would. The Versa has been a very reliable, economical, and VERSAtile car. Very pleased after a year and a half.

monkeybizzer

Oh damn, I voted wrong. I said no and meaning yes. I WOULD buy another Versa in a heartbeat. Long day at work and didn't read the question right.

I don't know if I would get a SL. There are so many things I have added to my S without paying dealer prices. I didn't have a chance on an SL because I bought mine used and there were only two available that I could find in Asheville at the time I was looking. The other was a manual and I knew I wanted an automatic.

Tired and going to bed, not looking at another computer screen all night!!

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

price point issue. I needed a car for my daughter and the rebates/Nissan supplier discount made it a no-brainer vs the Fit and other similar ilk. Personally, I liked the Fit better but I have no regrets. My daughter still hates it, but she will get over it. I keep telling her that she is ahead of her time by driving a fuel efficient car. I say that, but my Datsun B210 got close to 35 mpg!

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I would buy another Versa, but with extra stuff.

Instead of buying just the convenience package with AL kickplates and floor mats, the sport package and moonroof package could of been cool. Probably wouldn't of bought a magnetic gray, the sapphire blue stands out more and looks cleaner.

Features needed on the Versa:

- 60/40 fold seats should fold down flush with the trunk like the magic seats on the Honda Fit and have different configuration modes.

- Daytime running lights should be an optional feature for the SL.

- Body colored headlight Bezels, optional for the SL.

- More color choices like Metallic Jade and Orange.

- ABS should be a standard on the S and SL models.

- Side skirts need to be same color as the body regardless if it's sport package or not.

- Nissan should release a base model Versa below the S for lower income people. The Sentra has a base model 2.0.

Other than that, everything else is great about the car. If I didn't buy the Versa, it would of been between the Honda Fit, or the Mazda 3 sedan. Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase of my car.
Modified by Mile High Versa at 7:25 PM 7/7/2008

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Even though I am considering ditching the V for a Z, I would have bought it again. It served its purpose at the time. The V was basically free when I bought it. The fuel savings vs the Xterra made the car payment & monthly fuel bill. If I made the switch today, I would be saving more in fuel than I would be paying for the V & fuel.

I like the S, I didn't need anything on the SL. I hate ABS in the wet slushy snow of Colorado. The only thing I changed was the stereo/speakers & non-hubcapped wheels. Oh and a sharpie over the TPMS light.

Nissan should make some changes: --Higher 6th gear & better spaced gears. They geared it like a sports car, not an econobox it was designed as. --Ditch Continental for OEM tires--Standard smaller engine, maybe 1.6 L, it has far more power than it needs as an econobox. The larger engine could be a sport upgrade.--Better front & rear cup holder locations.--Better lighting. --Ditch the hubcaps. Simple painted steel wheels work better than hub caps.--Get rid of all the fake chrome platic. Chrome is so outdated & has no place on an econobox.--Switch to plastic body panels where possible, lighter car better fuel economy.--Add a full size spare, there is plenty of room in the existing truck well for one. They just need to reshape the expanded foam cover.--Relocate the oil filter. I am sure the Nissan mechanics hate the location as well as the do it yourselfer.

This car has so much potential for great fuel economy, but Nissan missed. I get ~36 mpg, but it could easily get 40+ if Nissan would drop it's performance car image on its entry level econobox.

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

Tough call........ considering all the "small issues" I had with my V. Now I must say I would never buy a car early into production like I did. Too many small problems and that is down time. For an example, TODAY, I had my signal light out. I called up the dealer and they said, come in at 12:30 and we can change it. I show up, they bring in my car and then they figure out they don't have this bulb in stock. Yes a regular bulb, not in stock. So all day, my students had to stick their Left hand out for the left hand turns. You can say it was an adventure.

Concerns that I have that have not been fixed: The loud noise when I turn right. It's a scary noise that can't be found and has been documented. Every time I had the car in, they can't find it.

So would I buy another car??????? YES for personal use and NO for teaching driving. I would and will be buying a honda civic to teach driving.

That is my opinion and I have 97 000 kms on to back up my concerns.

Ciao

GP

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

If I was looking for a more econo type car I would buy it again and this time it would be SL.

They should put a little stronger engine, doing cross country already on the way back, reached up to CA. It doesnt go too good on the hills and eats up alot of gas on 80 and up. Especially on hills at 60 on 4k it wasted half of my tank in no time. The back of the car gets lower because of 100 pounds of load. Anyways it handles good. In CA took it for a check up paid 160 to check the car fully and repleace all fluids. No problem, a little more on the engine and this car is great.

bikeman

Vahagn23 wrote:They should put a little stronger engine, doing cross country already on the way back, reached up to CA. It doesnt go too good on the hills and eats up alot of gas on 80 and up.
Curious. What car gets good mileage, "80 and up?"

David

ITasteLightBulbs
Car: 08 Nissan Versa, 91 Ford Crown Vic

I got my Versa after i blew the motor in my truck. I thought I would only have it long enough to buy a new truck, but the car has won me over. I have the very base model with no features(power windows, power locks etc...)but I love the handling and gas mileage compared to my truck. I agree a little more power would be nice but if I really have to get somewhere fast on the highway I just tuck in behind a semi and draft off of it to my destination it seems to give me really good mpg.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

bikeman wrote:Curious. What car gets good mileage, "80 and up?"

David
I believe the referral is to getting good mileage at 80 mph and up, not mpg.

DejaWiz
Car: See sig for details.

srellim234 wrote:
I believe the referral is to getting good mileage at 80 mph and up, not mpg.
I took that as to what bikeman meant. And I'll agree with him, no vehicle is going to get ideal mpg at 80mph or faster.

BlueMango
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Hatchback

Like so many others before me have said... in a heartbeat.

I went on a trip to England and fell in love with the Almira. When I came back to the US the Nissan was releasing the 08 V. I shopped around and drove the Fit, Golf, XD, Matrix, etc. Nothing seemed to have the 'Versa'tility and room. I'm 6' tall and have lots of tall friends and family, everyone is always amazed that they can all fit with little to no adjusting of the seats. I was worried about 'downsizing' to a vehicle with a smaller 4-cylinder engine but the Versa has proved it's worth there as well. Now I can't wait to put the little extras on it and see how much more I can get out of it.

brainguyus
Car: '12 Murano SL - '08 Versa SL - '67 Lincoln Continental

ABSOLUTELY!

bikeman

srellim234 wrote:I believe the referral is to getting good mileage at 80 mph and up, not mpg.
I believe the same thing.

David

marleyfan
Car: Black Versa SL, CVT. Tech Package, 35% Tint, Window Visors, Spoiler

No I wouldn't. I do like my Versa but with gas prices now over $1.50/Litre I would buy something that gets better gas mileage. My driving is about 95% city and the Versa HATES that kind of driving. If I did more highway driving I may have a different opinion.

versabundus
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

XterraVersa wrote:Even though I am considering ditching the V for a Z, I would have bought it again. It served its purpose at the time. The V was basically free when I bought it. The fuel savings vs the Xterra made the car payment & monthly fuel bill. If I made the switch today, I would be saving more in fuel than I would be paying for the V & fuel.

I like the S, I didn't need anything on the SL. I hate ABS in the wet slushy snow of Colorado. The only thing I changed was the stereo/speakers & non-hubcapped wheels. Oh and a sharpie over the TPMS light.

Nissan should make some changes: --Higher 6th gear & better spaced gears. They geared it like a sports car, not an econobox it was designed as. --Ditch Continental for OEM tires--Standard smaller engine, maybe 1.6 L, it has far more power than it needs as an econobox. The larger engine could be a sport upgrade.--Better front & rear cup holder locations.--Better lighting. --Ditch the hubcaps. Simple painted steel wheels work better than hub caps.--Get rid of all the fake chrome platic. Chrome is so outdated & has no place on an econobox.--Switch to plastic body panels where possible, lighter car better fuel economy.--Add a full size spare, there is plenty of room in the existing truck well for one. They just need to reshape the expanded foam cover.--Relocate the oil filter. I am sure the Nissan mechanics hate the location as well as the do it yourselfer.

This car has so much potential for great fuel economy, but Nissan missed. I get ~36 mpg, but it could easily get 40+ if Nissan would drop it's performance car image on its entry level econobox.
Have you read up on the 2010 370Z ? Might want to wait.

Johniboi
Car: Versa

dnt get me wrong, i love my versa-but id rather get the new Lancer, mann when i first saw them i fell in loooooveee! lol but ofcourse the versa rocks and i wish i got the sports package..

I wish they had a thing like versa type r, sounds nice too

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Johniboi wrote:dnt get me wrong, i love my versa-but id rather get the new Lancer, mann when i first saw them i fell in loooooveee! lol

Lancer? As in Mitsubishi? As in collaboration between Chrysler and Mitsubishi? As in

Sorry . . . the corp will have to go a lot further than they've come to get close to a dollar from my pocket. As in reliability.

But to each his own.

[/rant]

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Fuel mileage will drop considerably at 80 mph. On any vehicle. A Corolla, a Civic, an F150 or whatever.

I would suggest perhaps going the speed limit.

Also, going up a hill is also going to affect mileage. The engine has to work much harder and fuel mileage will suffer.

This is not uncommon in any vehicle.

Return to “Versa General Chat”