Wiring Sub to Amp

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Paul .
Car: Versa

Ok, so i got a Exile X400.1 amp and a Pioneer W257D4 subwoofer. The manufacturer says the amp is stable down to 2ohm and the subwoofer is a 4 ohm DVC (whith impendace 2 or 8 ohm). I drew up a diagram of how i could wire them up and was wondering which one would be the best (power wise and safety wise).

Note: I dont remember much of the parallele/series stuff from high school

Here are the specs for both in case you need them: http://www.exilecaraudio.com/2...400.1 http://www.pioneerelectronics....tab=B

tanomack
Car: 2002 JP Infiniti Q45 / 2007 Versa SL CVT

Attach both positives to bridged positive terminalAttach both negatives to bridged negative terminal

boxcarbill
Car: '07 Versa SL hatch 6 speed white/beige int.

The amp will be operating at it's max capacity into a 2 ohm load. If possible, you're better off with a 4 or 8 ohm load to give you some safety margin IMO.Why are there 4 taps on a single speaker? Different ohm connections? I don't understand why you need to run more than 2 wires to it.

Can you show a schematic for the speaker?

Modified by boxcarbill at 2:18 AM 10/12/2008
Modified by boxcarbill at 2:22 AM 10/12/2008

Paul .

Ok, so from what i Calculated, in setup 1 there is an 8 ohm load and setup 2 has a 2 ohm load.

My amp has more than enough power for the sub, so even if i have an 8 ohm load, i'll still get the max out of my sub?

ds08versa
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

run one pos(+) wire and one neg(-) wire into your box and wire to the pos and neg of one coil and the wire the other coil to the same pos and neg and you will have a 2ohm load. the amp will be fine at 2 ohm, and please don't turn the bass boost up, that is something we never do. if you have a good input signal from your head unit, you should only turn the gain, and even then you shouldn't have to that much.

boxcarbill

I'm really not up on all this new stuff but if 2 ohms is the cut off point (don't go below that) why get so close to it? (4 ohm would be better).Into a 2 ohm load you will have less control with your volume control. You will achieve a higher volume in the first half of the range of the control. With a 4 or 8 ohm load you will get the high end of your volume range after the midway or 3/4 way point of the control.

You won't sacrifice any performance with a higher impedance load as long as it is within the window of the amp's design limits.

The post before this sounds like the voice of experience. Must be 2 separate coils in the speaker. Good luck.

Johniboi

Quick question....

Is it possible to get a sub connected the stock headunit or will i be needing to buy an aftermarket headunit?

boxcarbill

got no idea what a headunit is.

Paul .

From my research, i discovered that there is not sub output from the S version of the head unit. There is very probably one in the SL version since you can get it with a sub.

ds08versa
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I have a factory HU in my car but you can add a sub to any car. JL amps will take speaker level inputs. A lot of amps will, and that is just tapping into the speaker wire (front or rear) and running in to the amps inputs, if your amp only takes RCA input you will have to get a LOC line output converter. This will have speaker line in to a box and the output will be RCAs

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”