Wire Wheels On A G37-S? Fantasy or Reality?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
CleanSharpAndOnPoint

Hello NicoClubbers :)
I'm a very proud new owner of a pre-owned G37-S Coupe.
There are a few minor modifications (mostly aesthetic) that I've been wanting to make to my car to give it that personal touch of my style ;)
I've already ordered a chrome wire mesh grill (unbranded) that should arrive via UPS later today. Something I think will look stunning on my car is wire spoke wheels. You see them on older british roadsters (Austin-Healey, Jaguar, etc..) and even on newer sports cars as aftermarket additions (like Maseratti and Mercedes) so they aren't just something reserved for Cadillacs and lowriders.
I've never seen wire wheels on an Infiniti. Maybe this is because they are not 'En Vouge' with the luxury/sports drivers anymore. Maybe this is because it can't be done?
I don't know a lot about wire wheels so I've been doing a lot of research on the internet. When I find the wire wheels I want, all 4 are going to be the same width, so I'll be doing away with having the wider tires in the rear, as I have the 'S' package.
There are some concerns I have about the extreme positive offset of my 19" wheels (+43 Front +45 Rear) being compatible with many aftermarket wire wheels, but my question and main compatibility concern is this.
My G37-S has a huge brake caliper in the front (maybe 3 piston?). This front caliper only clears the back of the 'spokes' on the OEM Infiniti rims by 1/4 inch. Is this going to be an issue where the laced wire spokes don't clear that front caliper?
Does anyone have experience with wire spoke wheels on their infiniti or on modern cars in general? I'm not really looking for opinions about whether they'll look good or not, but I do desperately need some insight into this subject matter.
Please help?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I think your caliper clearance issue is going to be the second biggest concern.

Most of those old school spoked wheels are a very low offset, which means fender clearance will be your first hurdle.

With that said, I kinda like the idea. :)

I'd call the pros, and see if they have ever built anything that'll fit: http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/

CleanSharpAndOnPoint

AZhitman wrote:I think your caliper clearance issue is going to be the second biggest concern.

Most of those old school spoked wheels are a very low offset, which means fender clearance will be your first hurdle.

With that said, I kinda like the idea. :)

I'd call the pros, and see if they have ever built anything that'll fit: http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/
Kinda funny you put up the link to Dayton because that's who I've already decided to get my wire wheels from :) They've been in business for almost 100 years and have quite a long list of impressive credentials (Made wire wheels for the Wright Brothers? What! Basically invented 'Knock off style wheels? What!) I wanted to run this by you all on the forum first before I called Dayton, just to get a feel for it first.
Thanks for the response :)

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Pay attention to overall offset in order to clear the caliper. If you go to this link there is a Akebono wheel template that can be printed and checked against wheels to see if they will fit:

http://www.370zcoupe.com/install-akebon ... -350z.html

Personally I don't think the style of the G37 mates well with spokes. Heck, even the Donk-boys have avoided wire wheels on G's ;)

CleanSharpAndOnPoint

I have seen wire wheels on other modern luxury sports coupes like Maserati and Jaguar XK and they look great. Same type of body styling essentially with modern lines and curving angles. Granted, like you said, I have never seen a set of wire wheels on a G, but I think if the proper thread pattern and lace were chosen, it would look simply amazing. That said though, not just any old wire wheel will do. I've been taking extra time looking through Dayton's online catalog and I've been talking with one of their sales representatives through email and on the phone, in order to choose just the right set of wire wheels to compliment the car's styling and the other aftermarket modifications that I am in the process of adding.
Here are some pictures of modern luxury sports cars with wire wheels. With advances in alloy technology and contemporary metallurgy it seems wire wheels (which used to be a standard on a luxury sports car) have taken a back seat, pardon the pun :chuckle: , to mags, aluminum, and blade style rims. The look isn't for everybody, but I think I can pull it off ;)

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Sorry, I don't think this looks amazing....again, my personal viewpoint. Hell, I don't think it looks good on the above vehicles either :blush:

CleanSharpAndOnPoint

Hmm. You found one :) ... Not the threading or lace pattern I would choose exactly, I think there are better looking wire wheels out there than that, but overall, I don't think it looks that bad. I could do better :biggrin:
I appreciate your input though.

audtatious

No, I took the images you have above and did a quick photoshop. Those are some ugly-azzed wheels.

CleanSharpAndOnPoint

Yea, those 3 cars all look like they have 'direct bolt-on wire wheels'. Kinda sloppy looking in my opinion. The last of the 3 (Lotus?) might have real 'knock-off' style wheels, but it's hard to tell because sometimes they put a fake spinner on 'direct bolt-on' wire wheels to make them look more like 'knock-off's'.
'Knock-off's' are the only way to go when doing wire wheels. The direct bolt-on's have those big dishes in the center of the rim that the bolts go through and it looks unsightly in my opinion.
But, if you don't like wire wheels, you just don't like wire wheels. But I'm not crazy about the wheels on these cars, but it was the only examples I could find of modern sports cars with wire wheels without searching all afternoon for it.

audtatious

I like wire wheels on MGB's, classic cars, etc. I just don't see the G as one that works with it.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”