Windows 10 ???

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Thoughts, comments, opinions? Any guinea pigs try it yet?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

RCA

Been messing with it for a month or so.

The good:
  • The news app is nice. Runs on start up and when big news events happen you get an "Outlook" type pop up in the bottom corner. In 1 month of using it I recived only 2 pop ups, Ferguson MZ going to a state of emergency and the port in China explosion.

Performance seems to be similar or better. Without an SSD it boots quite quickly.
The bad:
  • Privacy concerns EVERY WHERE. Their terms of service is sketchy as heck.
    They send TONS of info to MS. If you know what you're doing, don't accept the defaults, and read you can turn off much of that stuff but I am sure there are things MS doesn't want you to turn off so it's not even an option.

By default if you plug in your wireless password MS will save it so others on your network can jump on more conveniently. It's a nice feature if you trust a US company like Microsoft.

By default your computer will act as a torrent seed for others downloading Microsoft updates. Honestly, it's a good feature to have BUT it should NOT be the default option. Also it should come with more settings other than on and off. Options like how much total bandwidth I am willing to dish out a month, and how much bandwidth per second I am willing to utilize. If I have a 25mbps Comcast line and 3 other people are streaming video + other MS customers are pulling 20mbps from me for updates, were going to have a bad time. Of even worse, if I have 200GB data caps and MS customers take up a large part of that. Bad news all around. It's a nice tool to have and utilize but it needs more detailed options and it NEEDS to not be on by default.

Programs that you don't want are installed and running by default. Most of them you can't remove without PowerShell. Also most of them you can't set up to not start on boot unless you use registry edits.
So in general, it's a great OS. It runs well and many of my issues are transparent to the average user. So if you're not particular about your computers other then they need to work, Win10 is really nice.

If you are more of a power user / care about privacy, wait for a privacy solution to come around. I am hoping someone comes up with a script that removes all the built in "apps" (other than the News app :)), and sets the OS to not send back ANY telemetry data by a combo of choosing the best settings and firewalls.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Windows 10: Microsoft can disable pirated software, unauthorised hardware

Microsoft can now disable counterfeit games and unathorised hardware with Windows 10

Microsoft can disable any counterfeit software or hardware running Windows 10, at least this is what is being interpreted based on the updated End User License Agreement (EULA). The new terms and conditions allow Microsoft to change or update software on your computer and changes to the EULA were first spotted by PC Authority.

According to the report, section 7b or ‘Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms’ under EULA states that Microsoft, “may automatically check your version of the software and download software update or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorised hardware peripheral devices.”

With Windows 10 already running on over 14 million machines, it is still uncertain how Microsoft will be able to disable counterfeit or cracked software which includes its own Office suite. With Windows 10 Home, Microsoft has already made the software update mandatory. The problem with this that a user might not even know when the update will take place and Microsoft has denied users the choice to say no to an update.

While PC games have been heavily cracked and distributed across various channels, popular video game streaming service like Steam have been gaining strengths. Microsoft quashed its Windows Live Games in support of Steam with Windows 10.

While Microsoft blocking pirated games/software seems understandable but its unclear what Microsoft means by ‘unauthorised hardware peripheral devices’. With Windows 10, Microsoft has brought Xbox games to computers and users can also stream Xbox games from Windows 10 machines. Microsoft disabling unauthorised hardware might well relate to Xbox game controllers which will now serve as a must-have peripheral for PC gaming.

- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/techno ... nFA3s.dpuf

RCA

These are the apps that those removal threats apply to.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/service ... rviceslist

So if you pirate anything from the list above then yes MS can remove it. As for hardware, this is the first time I heard of it.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I actually like it, and I'm not exactly a Windows lover. It's good enough that I don't cringe when I see the bootloader logo. See my review of it alongside the new Surface Pro here in the Computers forum for more details, but basically: it's a tablet OS and a desktop OS in one, with no real sacrifices. The new scalable start menu is an excellent blend what Win8 wished it had accomplished and the oldschool start menu, since you can choose just how much classic and how much modern you want.

srdjanb
Car: 300zx

I have it on one of my test machines. I am not big fan of it just yet. One of the most annoying things that i deal with is when i go to shut down the computer it just reboots. I have to do it 3-4 times and it finally shuts down. Waiting till they work out most of the bugs to upgrade rest of my machines.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

I have Windows 10 operational on two machines. First was a "free upgrade" that crashed on me very hard at one point. So, I had to do a complete re-install from scratch - now it is working very well!

Overall, I am actually kinda pleased with Windows 10. It boots much, much faster. And many applications seem to load much faster too - not sure what was done (or how) to make that possible.

The boot time is about 7 to 9 seconds from power on now! Yes, I use SSD drives - which does help, of course. After I stopped it from prompting to load "the other OS" for 5 seconds, the boot process is fast. That prompt was from the prior upgrade approach, which allowed me to consider booting into Windows 7 too. Now, no Windows 7 on the drive to select.

There are some quirks which make it longer (more clicks and searches) to find specific applications from the Start menu (I do NOT like to leave things on my desktop to click). I will get used to these in time, I hope.

Z

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Windows 10 boots faster because it's designed to take advantage of UEFI used on newer machines. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) has replaced the older, slower Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) which has been in use since the 1970's.
UEFI provides a number of advantages, though, over the traditional BIOS. For starters, UEFI is capable of addressing hard drives with capacities up to 9.4 zettabytes. Yes, zetabytes. By some estimates, that’s roughly three times more than all of the information on the entire Internet right now, so it should be sufficient for the foreseeable future.

UEFI initializes hardware faster for a more “instant on” experience, and it allows for security and authentication before the operating system is booted. UEFI can also connect to a network. That means that even a PC that can’t boot into the operating system could be remotely accessed for troubleshooting and maintenance.
Switching gears, has anyone run into issues with the fall update, version 1511 build 10586?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

None that I didn't have before 1511. I have 1511 on my Surface Pro 4, but not on my desktop. I'd like to get it on both, but MS pulled it so I'm stuck without it on the desktop.

szh

Using Belarc Advisor to check ... I am running Build 10586 without problems (on my Lenovo laptop system, not a Surface Pro).

MoD, when/why did MS pull it for the desktop? It seems to be installed on my system ... ?

Z

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

They pulled it for everyone, but I just happened to update my Surface before then, but not the desktop. I'm not sure why they pulled it exactly, but I read about some issues people were encountering that MS wasn't happy with. I think they're still getting their heads around the whole rolling-update format, which has a much different timescale for bugtesting than their old format. I know if you have a Win10 machine that's not on 1511 and check for updates, it will show as up to date. Kind of irritating, actually, because 1511 actually FIXED some issues I'm having, and I'd like the minor GUI tweaks it adds (like hiding that hideous eyebleeding lockscreen background Windows image).

This article has a quote from MS that claims otherwise, but it's BS. I've been on Win10 for a lot more than 30 days and still don't see 1511 when checking for updates. In fact, I actually tried to apply the update twice on my desktop only to have it hang when applying (forcing a rollback) before it mysteriously disappeared from my list of available updates.
Rogue One wrote:Windows 10 boots faster because it's designed to take advantage of UEFI used on newer machines. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) has replaced the older, slower Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) which has been in use since the 1970's.
It's funny: POST and GRUB each (separately!) take longer than Win10 does once the Windows loader finally kicks in on my desktop which is running an old X58 board with oldschool BIOS. On the Surface, I get a "Surface" splash screen and then Windows is there. No POST, nothing. Hold volume down for UEFI config (I'm assuming F2 or DEL on most desktop boards) but otherwise you never see it at all.

szh

Hmmm ... one 1511 update (KB3122947) did fail to install a few times on my system (and, yes, I remember it hanging).

I vaguely remember having to do something to fix that issue, but forget what it was. It may also have been a later update (KB3116900 perhaps) that fixed things? For reference, here is the recent "Update history" on my system.

I am seeing updates happening on my system:

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)
Successfully installed on 2015-12-30

Microsoft - Keyboard - Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard
Successfully installed on 2015-12-22

Microsoft - Pointing Drawing - Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
Successfully installed on 2015-12-22

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200)
Successfully installed on 2015-12-18

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - December 2015 (KB890830)
Successfully installed on 2015-12-08

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116900)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3119147)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3122947)
Failed to install on 2015-12-06

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116908)
Successfully installed on 2015-12-02

FWIW, my system also crashed hard after running well for some time after the initial "upgrade" from Windows 7 SP1.

As I recall, I think it failed to reboot after an upgrade, and lunched my system so badly that it would not "repair" either.

So, I had to do a clean install from scratch. That took some doing ... I had to find the activation key info (that I had recorded with Belarc Advisor) in my backups and use it to do the activation after I finished the clean install - I did not want to put Windows 7 back in and do another "upgrade". Whew!

Z

Return to “Computers / Electronics”