Why you shouldn't buy a pseudo roll cage.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
killernoodle
Car: My daily: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V - pretty much stock
Brother's S13 project car: SR20det, wilwoods, suspension, q45 diff/axles, 315s out back

Ok peoples, I see a lot of you guys buying bolt together roll cages for your car.

This is why you shouldn't cheap out on getting an actual roll cage:

Before:

A crash:

Now notice the roll bar tubes punched straight through the body:

Need some syrup and butter on that pancake!

Occupants were fine and walked away thanks to helmets and good racing seats.

Just a reminder that if you're gong through the trouble of installing a cage and racing, get a REAL cage that welds into the car, made of material that is at least .095" thick (for 4340) or .120" (for mild steel). Make sure the mounting plates are at least the same thickness and as large as possible, put on top of the actual frame if possible. Tie in the tubes to as many points as possible: on the roof pillars, the sides of the door supports, whatever.

Don't cheap out on safety, and for god sakes no bolt in style cages!

wynnEZ
Car: 90 240 CA POWA!

First of all there not even the same car, next it doesnt even look like there is a cage in the crashed car. Bolt in cages have been proven to work, do you think Cusco would manufacture something that wouldn't work? No.

steve s14

You mean to tell me those aren't air jacks? LolAlso want to add that buying roll bars or cages that aren't scca approved for various reasons such as the cusco cage can collapse due to not having enough cross bracing.

SolaraOnBronze
Car: 1993 240sx SR20DET

And the car has Corbeau seats in it? Corbeaus are not even FIA Approved if I remember right... (Not bashing Corbeau, I have one in my car...)

EDIT: It looks like the car in the first post and the car in the other pics are not the same car- different color, numbers, and graphics. It could be an earlier iteration of the car or something, but just thought I would point that out...

steve s14

Yeah, i think the OP just posted it as reference for all of us Nissan lovers that may not know what an mustang looks like before getting slammed on the roof.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

SolaraOnBronze wrote:Corbeaus are not even FIA Approved
I believe they have recently lost FIA approval, but my several year old Corbeau is most definitely FIA approved. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't.

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

repost fool

SolaraOnBronze

r34 gtr wrote:
I believe they have recently lost FIA approval, but my several year old Corbeau is most definitely FIA approved. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't.
Ah, okay. I have had my FX1 Pro for a year and my brother owned it for a year before that, and to the best of my knowledge it was not FIA approved, nor were any of their seats. You could very well be right though, I don't race so I don't keep up with rules and whatnot very much.

keith0486

nice try but 1 those are 2 different cars and from the last pic the car that did flip over dont even look like it has a cage in it at all.

sr20power
Car: S14 Zenki

Does someone actually have an article or something about that car? Are you sure that it did have a BOLT in cage? Could have been a horrible design welded cage.IDK

It seems like there was no cage in this car in the first place.

Persona
Car: 97 Kouki

Of course there runs a chance of the cage going through the floor due to so much pressure on one point etc. I mean the car didnt roll or anything, it literally flipped straight over upon hitting a non-moving object, and all that force was transferred right over the axis of movement straight to the roof. But the cage will still help do its job which is to help absorb the force of a crash, which seems to me it did due to the driver being alive.

S13_love

zer...lcage

Yeah it's a repost but, oh well.

SolaraOnBronze

Agreed. It is pretty hard to tell from all of those pics, but I can't see a cage anywhere in any of them. Maybe it was just a hoop? I could for sure understand a roof caving in from only a bolt in hoop.

keith0486

http://jalopnik.com/5390934/mu...e&s=i

its just a simple bolt in roll bar if it were a full cage im sure it would of held up alot better.

wynnEZ
Car: 90 240 CA POWA!

It looks like they only have a 4pt in it...

killernoodle
Car: My daily: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V - pretty much stock
Brother's S13 project car: SR20det, wilwoods, suspension, q45 diff/axles, 315s out back

It doesn't matter how many points are in the roll cage, if its bolted together and the main hoop would rather crumple and punch through the floor than sustain the weight of the car, its still going to end badly.

justinedible4
Car: 1990 Honda Accord, 1991 S13 HB

dsc4130

i swear they dont work....just kidding lolthe reason im getting one in because i plan on using my car as a daily once im finished with it. have you guys ever had to daily a car with a full drift spec cage with x brace door bars. its far from easy. the bolt in cage is for cars that will see the track occasionally, and are driving every day(IMO). That car should hsve had a full 8 point weld in cage. luckily the driver is ok and maybe they learned there lesson but bolt in cages not working? ha, daigo sito has one in his 650hp D1 chaser, im pretty sure it will save your 250hp s13
Modified by dsc4130 at 3:10 AM 10/31/2009

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

I don't see any bars for the A pillars.... what's that mean?

whyteboi
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx

ima get a nice bolt in cage at the right medal grade and thickness but after its all bolted in and evrything is setup ill have it welded as well

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

Everyone is freaking out about this mustang. It was a roll BAR, not a roll cage. Had the floor been reinforced around the mounting points it would not have punched through. That's the installer's fault, not the company who designed the cage.

As long as they are installed properly, bolt in cages are just as safe as weld in cages.

/thread.

Razi
Car: Moo

Chris28 wrote:Everyone is freaking out about this mustang. It was a roll BAR, not a roll cage. Had the floor been reinforced around the mounting points it would not have punched through. That's the installer's fault, not the company who designed the cage.

As long as they are installed properly, bolt in cages are just as safe as weld in cages.

/thread.
It's a ROLL BAR people, not a bolt in roll-cage.

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

I sear. EVERY forum I have been to in the last week I have seen this post. OMG a picture of something failing, THEY MUST ALL BE BAD.

I'm gonna go find a picture of a guy that has a limp d!ck and he cant get it up. OMG OMG OMG, all of our d!ck are useless we must get a penile implant NOW because this one dudes d!ck doesn't work right!#!#!#!$@#$%#@%^#%$&%#$^%U&^$%

NO BODY GIVES A s***!

safin

Return to “240sx General Discussion”