why would my odometer stop working but everything else still works?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
240monkey
Car: 1990 240sx XE coupe, 1995 240sx rb20det

some one help! i was told that i need a new cluster--how is that possible when every single other gauge works! only the odometer stopped working!

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

Maybe it's the odometer circuitry itself. I know your odometer won't work if you have a bad speed sensor, but you say that all guages work fine including your speedometer. So yeah, speed sensor: speedo and odometer. odometer not working: must be something between that and the odo.

ChuckNC
Car: 1992 240sx hatchback

Sometimes when I press the trip button, it will catch and neither the trip meter nor the odometer will work.

Ekinchheng
Car: 93 240sx Coupe

Hey I'm having the same problem also, but my cluster night light don't work nor the hud and millage. I know its a wiring problem but don't know which harness to look for.

hbpignosePA
Car: 90 240sx hatch (Jackstand Queen), 78 Datsun 280z (RIP), 89 cressida (Sold) 86 200sx hatch (sold) 83 280zx turbo (parts car)
90 volvo 240 (sold)
80 mx32 cressida (new daily)

yea i noticed my trip meter sticks from time to time.... and the odometer stops working for a few minutes (when i notice)... if i hit the trip again, it just starts ticking again...

i wouldnt worry about it too much

icnuthin
Car: 93 s13 350sx. Vq35de

Didderson wrote:Maybe it's the odometer circuitry itself. I know your odometer won't work if you have a bad speed sensor, but you say that all guages work fine including your speedometer. So yeah, speed sensor: speedo and odometer. odometer not working: must be something between that and the odo.
yea what he said and its located on top of your tranny. mine goes in and out. i have to pop the clutch and it starts working and im just to lazy to get my fat butt under that car to fix it.
Ekinchheng wrote:Hey I'm having the same problem also, but my cluster night light don't work nor the hud and millage. I know its a wiring problem but don't know which harness to look for.
and when mine did that it was #14 fuse blew. after i replaced it my cluster and my sidemarkers started to work again.

Ekinchheng
Car: 93 240sx Coupe

icnuthin wrote:
yea what he said and its located on top of your tranny. mine goes in and out. i have to pop the clutch and it starts working and im just to lazy to get my fat butt under that car to fix it.

and when mine did that it was #14 fuse blew. after i replaced it my cluster and my sidemarkers started to work again.
I checked my fuse aready and it wasn't blown.

WilkesEP3
Car: 2004 Honda Civic Si EP3

I will shortly be purchasing a vehicle with a similar problem in which the odometer "does not work" (that's all I know thus far, he said it stopped working just two weeks ago). I am thinking of replacing the dash with a data logger style set up display, so I am wondering, will that alleviate all of the problems by replacing the whole dash with a new display unit? I am knew to this forum, so thank you in advance

new200guy
Car: 1990 Nissan 200sx

more than likely its the solder joints on the cluster that go bad. mine sporadically works while all other gauges work no problem. i just change the oil every 4 months and call it good. don't really feel like going to the dealer to pick up a new gauge cluster for 450.00 euros (about 600.00+ american dollars)

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

There's a small motor behind odometer. You might want to check if that's working.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”