Why would my amplifier power cable fuse melt?

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

So my stereo stopped working and I noticed that the fuse and case between the battery and amp had melted. I went ahead and replaced it with a 100A fuse box, I had been using 60A. Why would this melt? Do I need higher quality wires?

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

What gauge wire was it? About the only things I can think of that would do that are too big of a fuse on a small wire, or just a bad connection at the fuse holder.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

4 gauge

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

It's likely that it was arcing from a loose connection. I've seen that many times. Often with cheaper fuse holders.

mity2
Car: 2010 Indigo Blue Rogue S 360

usualy when fuse melts, rather then meaning that your running high enough current through it, but not high enough to pop the fuse.
Fuse is heat sensitive, and its not super accurate.

For instance, 30amp fuse will blow right away, if you run 40amp current through it, because it heats element up right away.
If you run 20amp through it, it'll be fine, because it won't get hot enough.
But if you run, say 28amp continuesly, it'll heat up element enough to cause dmg(melting), but not hot enough to pop the fuse right away.
Samething goes if your right at 30amp or just above it. wont pop the fuse, but slowly heats it for the fuse element to melt from heat eventualy.

Or at least this was how it explained to me by installer back when I had the identical probrem with my old Mustang, and it was kept melting 40amp inline fuse.
Replaced 40amp blade fuse with 60amp glass tube fuse, probrem went away completely.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”