Why is there smoke coming out of my air vents?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Reese
Car: 1992 240sx

I was driving to work today and smoke just started coming out of my air vents, I had the AC running, and it was running fiine. The temp of the car was normal. I lasted for about 10 seconds and then stopped. what could be wrong?

silpena
Car: Nis1993 san 240sx super hicas(wrecked)
soon to come to s-chasis

maybe you have something stuck inside the vents or in the blower all those solinoides and wires and burn up stuff like leaves or could be just lint in the vents if their dirty.

funigui
Car: I HAD a 1991 240sx coupe. woked NA motor. ran like 14.5 ish. blew it up @ 140 after an ECU reflash.

more then likely its just really cold air on a moist day, like you breathe in the winter and you see your breath.....only backwards.

killablue240
Car: sr powered s13 coupe, 1991 twin turbo 300zx

did it smell like smoke? if yes your blower motor is probably saying bye bye,or stereo wiring possibly

Matej

Does it smell?

-Edit-killablue240 beat me to it.

Reese

It didnt really smell like anything, just a burst of smoke came out at one time, from the driver side vents, like the car was overheating in the engine bay or something and it was coming in the car vents but the car wasnt overheating weiiiird... I doubt it was my stereo wiring cause my CD player was on at the time, it still plays fine.

SpecDRacing

Sorry, but this one is too easy to pass up. What your getting is actually a miniature snow storm created by ice accumulating on the evaporator core. Basically, your R134/R12 (whichever) might be a little low, or your expansion valve is not working properly (I think they have expansion valves). Anyway, your pressures arent right. What is happening is:

As the air passes through your evaporator core (from the blower motor) it gets cooled by the evaporator. This cooling causes condensation on the evaporator. When pressures in the A/C system arent proper, or the refrigerent is low, you get an evaporator that acts like a freezer. The ice builds inside the evaporator then starts to break off and exit through the vents.

Thats the "smoke you see". It probably smells funny because your vents, ducts, and the evaporator itself have funk in them (best way to describe it...basically, dead skin, cat hair, dandruff, pollen, etc.).

10 seconds was probably just enough time for a patch of ice to break free and be blown through the system.

Get the pressures checked and the amount checked (lbs.). As for smoke from wiring, blower motor, etc...... In all my years as a technician, I have never seen smoke exit the vents from that type of problem. More than likely, it will exit the dash near the windshield. The blower motors normaly just die, no magic smoke.

Again, get the pressures checked and the refrigerent level checked. I'd bet thats your problem.

Reese

Thank you so much for the input, I was worried that it was something that might cause a damage to the car, if I proceeded to drive it. Would you recommend keeping the AC off till I get that checked?

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

Damn i would said it was poison gas and left it at that.

SpecDRacing

Its fine to drive. Dont worry bout it, it wont hurt anything. Glad to help.

Reese

that would be kinda funny if it was. someone trying to make me all woosy so they can take my car from me.

okinawa drift
Car: 89 240sx SOHCoupe

technician ftw

crash n burn
Car: 91' le hatch, 93' UDSM silvia, 92' M30

Morph wrote:Damn i would said it was poison gas and left it at that.
ha ha..i was tossing up either crude jobe by your friends..or antrax....

Nick240sx
Car: 2009 Ford Fusion SE Sport

or........i dunno cant help you here, just wanted to agree with the mini snow storm, that happened to me when i had my 240.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”