Why does my 94Q shift completely different than another 94Q?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q45Owner
Car: Infiniti Q45

So I recently test drove a local 94Q for sale for the hell of it. It was priced decently and I was curious to see the condition and how it drove in comparison to mine. Long story short, to my surprise, I found it to drive kinda differently. The suspension, handling, steering feel and all that were pretty much the same. However, the transmission on my Q seems to shift much quicker and earlier than the one I test drove. On mine, the 1st to 2nd gear shift is pretty quick and slightly aggressive, whereas on this other one I test drove, it seemed to take a much longer time between 1st and 2nd and was noticeably smoother in its delivery. Now mind you, although these are both '94 models, mine was built in May of '93 and the one I test drove was built in May of '94. So my question is, was the gearing on the transmission changed midway through 94? To me, this other Q shifted more like my former LS400 and mine seems to shift quicker and more "sporty" I guess you could say. Anyone have any insight to this? Was the TCU changed on the 94 models at any point that would cause it to behave so differently?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

My guess the trans on the other one is just more worn out. A fairly hard 1-2 shift is somewhat normal in most Q with good trans... It's something many folks complain about, but it's considered normal!

Gearing and things like didn't change from those years.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Type and condition of the ATF (and the presence of additives) can also make big differences.

Transmission temperature also has an effect - Shifts tend to be more sluggish until everything warms up to normal operating temperature.

Brew Q
Car: '92 Q45 91k miles, '05 FX35
past: '99 740i (r.i.p.), '92 Maxima SE, '89 Maxima SE, '04 FX35

My '92 (2nd transmission w/ about 25k on it) shifts hard 1 to 2...especially if I get on it. This is with Mobil 1 ATF too. Cold it will slowly crawl into 1st (which I'm sure is normal), but a minute or 2 and it 1st gear is fine.

I'd imagine if I had a '90 transmission or Q it would shift even harder - those were the sportiest of sporty transmissions of all G50's. I think a lot of that had to do with line pressure, but I'm no transmission expert. :gapteeth:

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Having owned three RE4R03A trans, all factory original, all with brown fluid when i bought them, i can tell you it's all about how they were (not) maintained. all3 shift acceptably now, but all three have a different shift feel.
It also has to do with the line pressure. the line pressure solenoids get tired with time, just like anything else.
you can also tweak it just a bit after flush and filter change with magnet clean by adjusting the coefficient of friction in the fluid. LG Black is a friction modifier--use at your own risk.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”