Whos installed a dead pedal?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
williamk10
Car: '07 Versa SL

The stock one is ugly..and doesn't work very well as it isn't grippy or good to step on for prolonged periods of time. Has anyone installed an aftermarket dead pedal? If so, what is underneath the carpet and post pics!

Looking for something like this:

#1Tango

underneath the dead pedal carpeting is just styrofoam block

williamk10

#1Tango wrote:underneath the dead pedal carpeting is just styrofoam block
ugh..i guess drilling into it wouldn't be the best idea

#1Tango

i think it would hold with the carpeting maybe, i mean its a dead pedal it doesn't move so it won't fall off or out. give it a try

mightyversa
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa 1.8S Hatchback

williamk10 wrote:The stock one is ugly..and doesn't work very well as it isn't grippy or good to step on for prolonged periods of time. Has anyone installed an aftermarket dead pedal? If so, what is underneath the carpet and post pics!

Looking for something like this:
Lol, Will, you either must have small feet or drive bare feet. I have NEVER had problems driving any standard automobile in regards to pedals, I am only a size 11 and I drive with steel toed hikers most the time (Its the Newfoundland way!! Lol, I find those pedals are only for looks and then after getting them dirty its hard to clean off, waste of money.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

What do you consider a "prolonged period of time?" Foot size 11.5, wearing running shoes, I drove the Versa from California to Florida and back without any discomfort. Didn't I go far enough?

williamk10

That first picture wasn't any good, I actually wanted something like this

I find the stock dead pedal useless because..its soft, flimsy, and I don't like the fact that it isn't really a pedal...its more like a peice of rubber stuck to the carpet. I mean, look at the thing

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

So what's the difference if you cover the rubber with a piece of metal? Just looks, I'm guessing.

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

Wow that interior lay out looks great.

I too drive for long periods of time, about 4 hours at a stretch in a 12 hour day on the road. I think you are on to something, the Versa 'dead pedal' is too flat on the floor to give your left leg some needed elevation.

We all know that to relieve lower back pain, one leg propped higher than the other really helps.

So if you come up with a Versa dead pedal design that will do that, I'm all for it. Keep us posted.

williamk10

Since I doubt there are any Versa specific applications out there, I went out and bought generic cheapo dead pedal

We'll see how it goes. Itl'l probably suck but it was $7 and its Super Tuned type R and whatever else...

williamk10

After digging a bit deeper, this is what I found

Comparison - The stock "pedal" is just a flimsy peice of plastic, nothing more

After ripping it off, I had to peel back the glue they used to stick it on

I'll be installing the new pedal tomorrow. With the styrofoam backing, drilling into it would be useless. I went out and bought some nuts, bolts and washers to hold it in place. Pics of it installed will come soon.

#1Tango

GLUE!?!?!? AHAHAHA thats funny. Would a set of drywall screws work at all you think?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

mightyversa wrote:Lol, Will, you either must have small feet or drive bare feet. I have NEVER had problems driving any standard automobile in regards to pedals, I am only a size 11 and I drive with steel toed hikers most the time (Its the Newfoundland way!! Lol, I find those pedals are only for looks and then after getting them dirty its hard to clean off, waste of money.
I think you misunderstood the post. He's talking about the dead pedal (the foot rest for your left foot) being inadequate and poorly positioned. He's not talking about the pedal covers or the pedal spacing.

I used to wear hiking boots all the time, too. Then for the heck of it I bought a pair of Piloti driving shoes. SO MUCH NICER. They're like a converse-style soft low-top, but the side is reinforced so even though the sole is thin and you get good pedal feel through it, the shoe doesn't flex so you still have good leverage on the pedal. When I went back to traditional shoes after the Pilotis wore out, it took some time getting used to the decreased pedal feel. I need to get another pair of Pilotis.

I have pretty big feet (13.5), so the lower-profile shoes are much easier to drive in.

You could probably just build up behind it with something solid and run long bolts through it. Build up a half inch of aluminum behind the pedal or something...I guess washers will work, but I think I'd want something to take stress off the bolts.

reyes1212
Car: Super Black '07 Nissan Versa

Post the link to where you got that from! I've been wanting to do this ever since mine came off!

williamk10

All done

This is how I secured the pedal

This is the result

Works well, the nut and washer hold the pedal down really well.

Sorry reyes, I bought that locally at a ricer shop nearby. I'm sure the process is the same for any other pedal you buy. Pulling off the glue was the worst part. If you can, buy a big enough pedal that just covers the glue. I might end up getting another bigger pedal if I see something I like but this cheapie pedal will do for now.

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

OK, so I have been drooling over the pic of that interior with the 3 metal pedals, leather seats and the woodgrain dash...

Is it a VW Tourag?

Inquiring minds want to know.

williamk10

longo wrote:OK, so I have been drooling over the pic of that interior with the 3 metal pedals, leather seats and the woodgrain dash...

Is it a VW Tourag?

Inquiring minds want to know.
yep

http://www.tm-techmark.com/touareg/deadpedal.htm

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

glue? Good lord, the suck outstrips my worst expectations.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

williamk10 wrote:
I love how at the bottom of the box it says that it is "Super Tuned". How can a dead pedal...or any pedal at all be "tuned".

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

Is there a way to remove the type r logo on the dead pedal? Besides, that's something you would see ricer honda peeps put on their car to add an extra 5 HP!!!!

williamk10

Mile High Versa wrote:Is there a way to remove the type r logo on the dead pedal? Besides, that's something you would see ricer honda peeps put on their car to add an extra 5 HP!!!!
I can't without scratching the surface of the pedal. I'll get a new one eventually. Either that or I'll step on it enough to rub it off

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

williamk10 wrote:
I can't without scratching the surface of the pedal. I'll get a new one eventually. Either that or I'll step on it enough to rub it off
Fine grit sand paper or silver paint.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Yeah because it's the "Type R" on the pedal that makes this whole thing sad.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”