Who's in SCOTUS, and where'd they hide the real judges?

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Ok, so wow. I'm floored by the last series of rulings from SCOTUS. Never mind with the 4/4 split, this really all comes down to what Justice Kennedy thinks. Still, I think I expected worse this time than what we got.

Gay ban number 3,052. Killed.

Ok so the gays are popular now. We all knew the courts are striking down gay bans like they're playing duck hunt. We all saw that coming. The gays are here to stay, we're just all gonna have to get used to it. Doesn't bother me so much, they keep to themselves for the most part, when they're not boycotting chicken sandwiches. Whatevs.

Obama Constitutional over-reach number 3,052. Killed.

Recess appointments. So wow, this supposed Constitutional Law professor? LOLWUT? Twelfth time now he's been UNANIMOUSLY stricken down. I smell a 13th coming, with whatever he's got cooking on Immigration. This guy has really just gotten to the point of being funny to watch. What's scary is, the rest of the world is laughing too. I'm actually a bit dissappointed by this ruling, as I hoped they'd clear this muddy recess appointment business up a bit more. Like maybe finally state for the record that these appointments should only be made for vacancies that occur during the break. Recess appointments weren't designed to be back doors for sneaking in folks, they were supposed to be means for getting jobs done when people up and die at 3AM Christmas eve night. But that's just our nature, we take any lead way and pervert it for our own agendas. That's both sides, Obama wasn't anywhere near the first to employ these opportunistic measures. I'm trying to remember if the NLRB did anything noteworthy since these appointments, but can't think of anything. They've not been well liked lately. SO now Obama vows to side step congress yet again to "fix" Immigration? Does he not learn? Con Law professor my a**!

Obamacare regulation number 3,052. Killed.

So Hobby Lobby wins the day. It's really sick to see how twisted this issue became, with it being labeled a "war on women". Hell isn't it sexist to assume that women can't provide their own contraception? And let's clear some things up. Hobby Lobby wasn't fighting "birth control" as a whole. Hobby Lobby has paid for certain birth control, and still does, and still will. There are 4 specific forms, that use abortive means to terminate life, that go against the business owner's beliefs, that they refused to cover. There are still plenty of avenues to birth control still available to their employees, covered by their insurance. This isn't a war on women, by any means. This really brings forth, even stronger, the argument that employers really shouldn't be in the business of insuring anyone anyway, unless it's life insurance on a CEO or something. This country is the only one that does insurance through employment, and its a forgone remnant of the Great Depression. For a while, we had wage limits placed on us by the government. Yes....even in the golden age, the government was tinkering with the market. With wages frozen, employers had no way to incentivize or offer more money to get high potential employees, so the market had to correct to bypass the government, and paid benefits were born. There's really a lesson to be learned there, about market manipulation, and it's long lasting effects. Now we're stuck in this system of employement driven insurance. People don't even comprehend what they're true cost to employer are anymore. You ask someone what they make a year, you hear "40k". Forgetting the extra "15k" your employer pays for your insurance, 401k matching, company gym membership, and other benefits you don't see? You're really making 55k there son. See we should really just be saying, in an interview, that I want to be paid "x". And then "x" is what you get, and you figure out the rest yourself.
Oh and....sex is recreational. So go buy your own damned recreational equipment.

Labor Union power grab number 3,052,099. Killed.

So the public workers Labor Union was running a bit low on dues, decided to throw home healthcare workers into the pot, and then gracious collect more dues form them? Nope. Can't do it. Wouldn't be surprised if home school parent's were next on the labor union hit list.

All in All. Good year for SCOTUS I think.

Return to “Politics Etc.”