Who plans to buy an R32 in 2014?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.

Who plans to buy an R32 in 2014?

Yes I will be seeking to import one
49%
Yes I'll buy one if it's already imported and avoid the hassle
31%
No
20%

Total votes: 49

ho11and

Who here has intentions to buy an R32 skyline once they become legal to import after 25 years? Come 2014 they will not be needing to pass any emissions laws and can be imported legally into the USA. Has anybody else been waiting patiently for 2014 to get their hands on a piece of Japanese history?

USsil80

i plan to buy one that is already here... and a GTR

duffman1278
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, the wildcats!

Well your gonna be waiting longer. You need to recheck your California laws as well as federal regulations on importing vehicles.

To sum it up, there is no 25 year and over law that says there's no more smog. If you're vehicle was manufactured in 1975 or below, THEN it's smog exempt. It does NOT pass down through the years. So keep dreaming.

Klits562
Car: white s13 coupe

duffman1278 wrote:Well your gonna be waiting longer. You need to recheck your California laws as well as federal regulations on importing vehicles.

To sum it up, there is no 25 year and over law that says there's no more smog. If you're vehicle was manufactured in 1975 or below, THEN it's smog exempt. It does NOT pass down through the years. So keep dreaming.
According to Nicos archive on skyline info
Skyline and the US Federal Government
Vehicles imported into the United States that are less than 25 years old must comply with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) regulations and they must be imported via a Registered Importer (RI).

Aren't the EPA regulations, smog tests?

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

bought one already, couldnt wait, and i got it for the deal of a life time

bigbadberry3

What do you think it will cost to get one of these bad boys here in a couple of years?

SullivanRacing06

8k from canada now (not legal, good luck getting it across the border tho)

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I can't wait for them to get legal in the U.S. Then, the value here will increase due to a lack of cars to buy. My car could become quite valuable...lol

USsil80

Gold Digger wrote:I can't wait for them to get legal in the U.S. Then, the value here will increase due to a lack of cars to buy. My car could become quite valuable...lol
i could see that or the other way around if someone starts shipping them over and storing them in canada for the 2014 "release" of the 1989 skyline

bigbadberry3

I'm expecting someone to hoard them but still not sure if that'll make the price go up or down

iandrew89
Car: '89 Nissan 240sx Redtop SR
'94 Infiniti J30 Stock
'91 Infiniti Q45

I've done a little research on this. They can be brought over when they 25 years of age or older due to them being antiques. But when a car is registered as an antique they put limits on it. I believe it is that the car can only be driven like 2500 miles a year. And if I found out correctly they only give out so many antique plates in a year in every state. I could be wrong but so far this is just what I found in my findings and yes I want a R32 GT-R its my favorite skyline but only 2500 miles a year would be kind of a bummer. Anyone got any other insights on this? Like maybe they can just be registered regularly but I'm thinking since they are going to be imported as antiques they are going to have the antique guidelines on them, which then again probably differs from state to state.

Count Zero
Car: 1990 Skyline GT-R, Federal Legal & fully registered.

USsil80 wrote:i plan to buy one that is already here... and a GTR
NHTSA has already pointed out that cars brought over BEFORE they hit the 25 year mark are still officially considered illegal, because they were breaking they import regulations at the time of their importing.

Sadly, all the R32's already here don't magically become legal. Shame, but I won't say that it's stupid, because no matter if a law gets changed in the future, if you do something NOW and it's illegal NOW, it's still a crime, even if next week it would no longer be called a crime.

Example: You get a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 zoned highway. That's 15 over the limit, and your court date is 2 months from now. Next month the state changed the limit for that stretch of highway to 70.....you're still guilty of a crime because of what the law was WHEN YOU DID IT.

USsil80

Count Zero wrote:
USsil80 wrote:i plan to buy one that is already here... and a GTR
NHTSA has already pointed out that cars brought over BEFORE they hit the 25 year mark are still officially considered illegal, because they were breaking they import regulations at the time of their importing.

Sadly, all the R32's already here don't magically become legal. Shame, but I won't say that it's stupid, because no matter if a law gets changed in the future, if you do something NOW and it's illegal NOW, it's still a crime, even if next week it would no longer be called a crime.

Example: You get a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 zoned highway. That's 15 over the limit, and your court date is 2 months from now. Next month the state changed the limit for that stretch of highway to 70.....you're still guilty of a crime because of what the law was WHEN YOU DID IT.

what i was trying to say is that i don't plan to import my own... i will want to buy one that is already brought over and has the paper work done after that magical day... i bet there will be a company with them siting right over the America/Canada border taking pre-orders for when they can come it

Count Zero
Car: 1990 Skyline GT-R, Federal Legal & fully registered.

Ah, gotcha.
I bet a *LOT* of RI's will be bringing them over and tossing them into the market. By then, the actual market in Japan will be pretty much dead, I bet, so they'll get them for butt-cheap.

tyndago

25 years old is DOT exempt. FMVSS stuff

21 years old is EPA exempt . Yes here in just a few months the cars are EPA exempt.

EPA trumps state laws in regards to IMPORTING. However states have the final say on REGISTERING.

PLEASE. That is PLEASE understand those two big differences. IMPORTING, and REGISTERING.

If your state has emissions testing for a 1989 car in 2014, then you have to do a test. If your car doesn't then you don't. Pretty simple. An RB with a good OEM Nissan cat, with a good tune, will pass a sniffer for 1989.

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2010/ ... years.html

jessica_l

Hy, my husband is wishing to buy an R32 but he is confuse with its features. Can anybody tell me what is its main features and advantages and disadvantages?

SullivanRacing06

jessica_l wrote:Hy, my husband is wishing to buy an R32 but he is confuse with its features. Can anybody tell me what is its main features and advantages and disadvantages?

nutritional supplements
what are you asking? haha

r32gtrvspec2
Car: 1994 skyline gtr vspec 2
1992 bmw 5 series

I already have one.... LOL Ive had it for several years now. It was never intended to be a street car though. Show/ track car only. Besides, Ive owned three of them. Ownership can be like a curse sometimes. People have flagged me down, keyed them, told me they were fakes, tried to start fights with me over them, tell me they are trash. You would be amazed at the hate I have gotten about them. The gts-t type m I owned was a so so car. No real power, flakey chassis, rattled and squaeked. The vspec 2 I currently own is an absolute beast, but very finnicky. Its is heavily tuned so thats to be expected. Remember, stock cars make very little power. The gtr is fun to drive stock, but most modern cars will blow its doors in stock. They have alot of potential, but get very pricey to work on. Just my two cents. :gapteeth:

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

SullivanRacing06 wrote: what are you asking? haha
Me. It translates to "can you please ban me? I am a spambot."

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Hey TMS, in 2014 I will be purchasing a 1989 R32 GTR. I was hoping you could pick it out for me. That is all.

themadscientist

As rusty as most will be by then I could mail it to you in a series of FedEx envelopes.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Deal!

SullivanRacing06

themadscientist wrote:
SullivanRacing06 wrote: what are you asking? haha
Me. It translates to "can you please ban me? I am a spambot."

how am i a spam bot? i didnt understand her question? the advantages and disadvantages of what a skyline?

why would i get banned from asking what shes asking?

spambot? after 1700 post im pretty sure im not spamming anything. trying to help out people here

aeonflair90

ho11and wrote:Who here has intentions to buy an R32 skyline once they become legal to import after 25 years? Come 2014 they will not be needing to pass any emissions laws and can be imported legally into the USA. Has anybody else been waiting patiently for 2014 to get their hands on a piece of Japanese history?
New to the forums but I found this the other day,http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Skyline

You Never know. :ohno:

themadscientist

SullivanRacing06 wrote:
how am i a spam bot? i didnt understand her question? the advantages and disadvantages of what a skyline?

why would i get banned from asking what shes asking?

spambot? after 1700 post im pretty sure im not spamming anything. trying to help out people here
I was suggesting you were replying to spambot. You are far too colorful to be a bot Sully. :slap:

SullivanRacing06

oh thanks big boy :inoutgay:

supersayianjim
Car: 89 240sx(s13)

so how does a state know youre going 2,500 miles?? if you disconnect youre odometer they won't be the wiser.. i think the country has more important things to worry about now instead of how many miles this guy is driving on his gtr??

costa_rican13
Car: 1993 s13 coupe

true dat^^

tyndago

supersayianjim wrote:so how does a state know youre going 2,500 miles?? if you disconnect youre odometer they won't be the wiser.. i think the country has more important things to worry about now instead of how many miles this guy is driving on his gtr??
Its not true. There are no limitations on vehicles 25 years or older for the federal government.

The problem is you have people that are confusing, the already confusing laws. 2500 miles is for "Show or Display" cars. Show or Display is a rule that exempts cars from DOT requirements, however, you are looking at McLaren F1's , Bugatti EB110's, Ford RS200 , Maserati MC12. There has to be less than 500 cars made, and they have to be historically or technologically significant. They can't have been previously approved, etc, etc. Mostly all very expensive cars.

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/searc ... %20Display

JSpecGC8
Car: 1976 280Z

Wow guys you need to do some more research, I.E. there is a lot more into it than what you internet lawyers are saying.

25 year old cars of TODAY have to meet the standards that were in place 25 years ago. So if OBD1, 15mph bumpers, safety glass were in place 25 years ago, the car has to meet those regulations.

We have plenty of guys here in Japan that are going through the process and needless to say its extremely costly and lengthy.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”