Who plans to buy an R32 in 2014?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.

Who plans to buy an R32 in 2014?

Yes I will be seeking to import one
49%
Yes I'll buy one if it's already imported and avoid the hassle
31%
No
20%

Total votes: 49

Dewoitine

Well I think a better question is who plans to buy a R34 in 2014 in Canada then sneek it over into the US and get it in tip top shape for when you can drive the baby anywhere on the road in America, just me but I'd rather have a well taken care of R34 for 10 years as a track day car and an occasional driver than wait till 2024 when the only R34s left will have been hooned to death and then youll say F*** I wish I had saved up for the BNR34 rather than buy a dried out 32

J240sx
Car: 89 240sx

Dewoitine wrote:Well I think a better question is who plans to buy a R34 in 2014 in Canada then sneek it over into the US and get it in tip top shape for when you can drive the baby anywhere on the road in America, just me but I'd rather have a well taken care of R34 for 10 years as a track day car and an occasional driver than wait till 2024 when the only R34s left will have been hooned to death and then youll say F*** I wish I had saved up for the BNR34 rather than buy a dried out 32
That makes no since. With the money you would spend on an r34 you could just buy a r32 that you could drive legally, and still have money left over to rebuild the engine.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Dewoitine wrote:Well I think a better question is who plans to buy a R34 in 2014 in Canada then sneek it over into the US and get it in tip top shape for when you can drive the baby anywhere on the road in America, just me but I'd rather have a well taken care of R34 for 10 years as a track day car and an occasional driver than wait till 2024 when the only R34s left will have been hooned to death and then youll say F*** I wish I had saved up for the BNR34 rather than buy a dried out 32
Your car

You

Go for it. :bigthumb:

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

:bowrofl:

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

Perhaps if I was rich I wouldn't mind taking a risk on my car getting crushed. Until then...

getthedrift86
Car: 1992 240sx

Count Zero wrote:
USsil80 wrote:i plan to buy one that is already here... and a GTR
NHTSA has already pointed out that cars brought over BEFORE they hit the 25 year mark are still officially considered illegal, because they were breaking they import regulations at the time of their importing.

Sadly, all the R32's already here don't magically become legal. Shame, but I won't say that it's stupid, because no matter if a law gets changed in the future, if you do something NOW and it's illegal NOW, it's still a crime, even if next week it would no longer be called a crime.

Example: You get a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 zoned highway. That's 15 over the limit, and your court date is 2 months from now. Next month the state changed the limit for that stretch of highway to 70.....you're still guilty of a crime because of what the law was WHEN YOU DID IT.
What if you currently have a skyline for off-road use only. Could you legally title the car and use on the road in 2014?

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

getthedrift86 wrote:What if you currently have a skyline for off-road use only. Could you legally title the car and use on the road in 2014?
Nope. It wasn't street legal in this country when it was made. But you could continue to use it for off-road use (or take the risk of driving it with a GA title and hope it doesn't get busted).

BauerGTR
Car: 1978 Toyota Landcruiser

6. Motor Vehicle Titling and Registration

NHTSA is not responsible for regulating the operation of motor vehicles on public roads in the U.S. or for titling or registering motor vehicles for such operation. That is instead the responsibility of the individual States. Some States may require a manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO) or manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) to register a new motor vehicle. These are not federally required documents. NHTSA, therefore, is not in a position to offer guidance to prospective vehicle manufacturers or vehicle purchasers on obtaining a needed MCO or MSO. Consumers with questions regarding these documents should direct those questions to their State’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Prospective manufacturers seeking guidance on obtaining MCO or MSO documents should contact the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) at 703-522-4201 703-522-4201 or visit that organization's website at http://www.aamva.org.

The problem is the state. To get a title you need to show your import documents. The state will need the following:

US Customs and Border Protection Documents:

The DMV can issue a registration and title certificate for an imported vehicle if you provide a US Customs and Border Protection entry form with your application. The DMV accepts the following US Customs and Border Protection documents:

CPB 368 Collection Receipt or Informal Entry
CPB 7523 Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty, Carrier's Certificate of Release
CPB 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles
CPB 3311 Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products
CPB 7501 Entry Summary
CPB 6059B Customs Declaration

If you can get a title and registration you are set. You will have a street legal skyline. Getting that title might be tough if your documents are for off road use only. Not to support bad people, but as a car lover, I say get a Georgia title, once you have a US title, you can obtain a different state title by using your Georgia title, no need for customs papers. No state officials will know the difference between a legal and illegal R32. The only person who could challenge it would be a customs agent. Even then, I'm still not sure about the legality of changing an off road vehicle to a street vehicle... If someone finds out for certain be sure to post.

Papadirty
Car: 2003 honda accord V6 running 302whp

My father already has two R34 skylines bought and stored in Japan (white and blue GT-Rs), I just hope to god he'll sell me one or at least let me drive it. Personally I'm looking at getting a R33 before then, hopfully as soon as this summer. Right now im deciding between a 240SX V8 swap and a skyline until I can get my dream car. Gun metal grey R34 GT-R twin turbo :bowrofl:

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I can't even imagine the amount of money he is spending on storing a car over here...let alone two. Unless he has some contacts on a base somewhere.

Plus, did he de-reg the car? If not, he still has to pay taxes and the car will still have to get shaken done every two years.

And, there is no such thing as Gunmetal Grey in the R34.

Here are the paint codes for the R34 GT-R lines, courtesy of GTROC UK.

BNR34
TV2 - Bayside Blue
QM1 - White
KR4 - Sonic Silver
KV2 - Athlete Silver
GV1 - Black Pearl
AR2 - Active Red
EV1 - Lightning Yellow
LV4 - Midnight Purple II
LX0 - Midnight Purple III
WV2 - Sparkling Silver
QX1 - White Pearl
EY0 - Silica Breath
JW0 - Millennium Jade

tyndago

BauerGTR wrote: If you can get a title and registration you are set. You will have a street legal skyline. Getting that title might be tough if your documents are for off road use only. Not to support bad people, but as a car lover, I say get a Georgia title, once you have a US title, you can obtain a different state title by using your Georgia title, no need for customs papers. No state officials will know the difference between a legal and illegal R32. The only person who could challenge it would be a customs agent. Even then, I'm still not sure about the legality of changing an off road vehicle to a street vehicle... If someone finds out for certain be sure to post.
Some people have done this, and had cars seized.

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2008/ ... texas.html

Cars are easy to trace. Its easy to see who registered something. If you have one guy registering a ton of cars, in say Georgia, when the Feds go after someone, they pull up that guy, go knocking on his door. Seize all his computers and files. Then go and find those cars. Don't think it doesn't happen. Don't think its not going on right now. I hear about cars every week.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”