white smoke,smell of fuel,dripping unburned fuel, all coming from both tailpipes

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
theresaborger
Car: Inifity G35

our 2004 g35 started just this afternoon blowing white smoke out of tailpipes with a really strong smell of raw fuel also noticed what appears to me to be fuel dripping from tail pipes it runs really bad . please some insight into what type of repair we will need. We searched all current topic's & archives.

thanks, theresa
Modified by theresaborger at 5:44 PM 3/10/2009

theresaborger

What's Wrong? My car started smoking (white)fuel is dripping from railpipes & it runs very bad.

Joey666Crack
Car: 06 G35 Coupe

The raw fuel and poor running made me think your igntion system. Spark plugs etc etc, but the white smoke would lead me to believe a head gasket. White smoke is usually coolant getting into your combustion.

theresaborger

Could this be from BAD Gas?

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

theresaborger wrote:Could this be from BAD Gas?
Did somebody just fill up with the green handle pump?

Anything indicating a cooling system problem such as a change in coolant level (head gasket)? Are you sure the smell is fuel or burning anti-freeze?

Perry

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

The white smoke is usually steam being introduced into the combustion process, which would mean that coolant is leaking into parts of the engine where it's not supposed to be. The fluid you see dripping from the tailpipes may not be gasoline but water. This would be because of a blown head gasket.

Check your coolant level in the radiator, not just the overflow tank. You should be able to see the coolant when you take the radiator cap off. If you don't, add some. Come back and tell us how much you had to add. Then check it again the next day or two and let us know what you find.

Tampa G35 Sedan 6MT
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT Black w/ Premium & Areo Pkg
1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Lifted and Old School!

That might be something to take to the dealership and let them tell you what it is!

But The guys here are as good as any dealership minus the cost!

DJ

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

Allow me to correct myself above. In the first sentence, what I meant to say is that water is being introduced into the combustion cycle, which in turn produces steam.

I started out saying one thing and went a different direction with it thanks to my scattered brains.

kmckis1029
Car: 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD

2010 G37x w/Prem, Nav, & Wood (sold)

2005 G35x w/Prem C (traded in)

white smoke is bad... head gasket maybe...

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

smockers83 wrote:The white smoke is usually steam being introduced into the combustion process, which would mean that coolant is leaking into parts of the engine where it's not supposed to be. The fluid you see dripping from the tailpipes may not be gasoline but water. This would be because of a blown head gasket.

Check your coolant level in the radiator, not just the overflow tank. You should be able to see the coolant when you take the radiator cap off. If you don't, add some. Come back and tell us how much you had to add. Then check it again the next day or two and let us know what you find.
Great advice!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

theresaborger wrote:our 2004 g35 started just this afternoon blowing white smoke out of tailpipes with a really strong smell of raw fuel also noticed what appears to me to be fuel dripping from tail pipes it runs really bad . please some insight into what type of repair we will need. We searched all current topic's & archives.

thanks, theresa

Modified by theresaborger at 5:44 PM 3/10/2009
Theresa

I'm assuming you check all your fluids on a weekly basis?

So if you are not losing coolent you may want to pick up one of these.

Under $150 on Amazon

Simple to use and it may be able to give you a clue as to what the problem is?

A compression check would confirm a blown head gasket.

Good luck

Telcoman

theresaborger

to everyone who was kind enough to respond to white smoke. the problem was the number 5 fuel injector and it was not gas leaking from tailpipes but indeed it was water. which was no more than condensation. the final cost of repair was a mere 499.71. thanks to all who tried to help me. even the smartas s about the green handle.

theresaborger

white smoke is over. it turned out to be the number 5 fuel injector. the dripping fuel turned out to be ab normal condensation because of the injector not firing. the cost to repair was a mere 499.71. yep thats all it cost. so, thanhs to all who tried to help me,even the smartass who suggested i may have used the green pump handle. you were all very helpful.enjoy your day. theresa

Rivalry

The "green pump handle" has actually happened on numerous occasions to folks who just plain don't know any better or aren't paying attention. Before someone gets deep into troubleshooting a problem, it's best to cover the basic things to ensure a simple solution is not being overlooked.

It was only to help, not to insult.

Glad it was fixed at a relatively cheap price.

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

Rivalry wrote:The "green pump handle" has actually happened on numerous occasions to folks who just plain don't know any better or aren't paying attention. Before someone gets deep into troubleshooting a problem, it's best to cover the basic things to ensure a simple solution is not being overlooked.

It was only to help, not to insult.

Glad it was fixed at a relatively cheap price.
I have seen this in two different directions. A girl friend of a guy driving his truck and putting in gas instead of diesel. I convinced her to tow it home since it had not yet been started. A problem yes but still better then running the mix into the rest of the system. I have seen diesel put into a gas engine. The result was white smoke (actually a little bit more on the gray side) and a very nasty running engine. This car recovered nicely as well. Just two weeks ago I had another girl asked me if she was filling her truck up correctly. She had no idea she was about to put diesel into her gas rig although she did know she was driving a gas fueled truck.

I have a feeling it happens more often than one might guess and possibly to a minor degree with a gallon or two put in before the mistake is noticed.

My sister and her husband owned a gas station and they got clobbered by a load of alcohol being put into her tanks instead of gas. It took 3 blown engines before it was noticed.

If a problem like this is caught very early one may be home free with not much more than draining the fuel tank (well almost free). Ignored for even a short time and the problems rapidly escalate.

I never had a failed injector so it surprises me somewhat that you would have as much condensation as mentioned.

Perry

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”