White smoke and lots of unburned gas

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
mrmarbles
Car: 92 240sx hatch

My 91 240sx was running fine up until recently. For whatever reason, I began running on 3 cylinders, and found that my injector in cylinder 4 had gone bad. I replaced the injectors, and the seals on all 4 cylinders. After I started it up the first time, tons of white smoke came out of my exhaust pipe, and i even found gas leaking from the tail pipe, and out of an exhaust leak at the down pipe. With the car on now, it has a somewhat rough idle, unburned gas drips out of the exhaust leak at the down pipe and at the tail pipe, and puffs of white smoke come out of the tail pipe. My oil is not milky, but I do know I burn some oil if that makes a difference. I'm fairly certain I'm not burning any coolant, as my level at the radiator and reservoir look fine.

I don't know what is wrong. Help?

mrmarbles

So I've been reading around a little bit. It could be my fuel pressure regulator that is causing this? Could it be something electrical that is keeping my injector open constantly?

spindrift187

Does the car get a deep "subarish" tone to it when this happens? I had the same injector keep goin wide open and eventually just ran the ground wire outside the harness and never had a problem after that.

Pull your fuel rail and have a friend turn the key in the on position, the system should prime but no fuel should spray, if it does take not which injector it is. Could be a faulty injector/wiring issue.

mrmarbles

Well I pulled the fuel rail and put paper towels under the injectors to see what was going on. After we cranked it, cylinder two had soaked the paper towel, and the others were little bits of fuel. So I decided to replace the injector with the old one that I knew was fine. After we replaced it, it ran and idled fine, but it blew out clouds of blue smoke. Why am I burning so much oil?!

I turned it on again about an hour later, and it was running on three cylinders again! Cylinder two is not firing. The only thing I can think of would be that the injector isn't working, because I have spark and air. Also, I revved it up a little bit, and I blew another storm of smoke.

I'm completely baffled.

knightricer
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Seriuosly i have just been getting that same problem like no joke. From what info i can gather its two reason why blue smoke pours out the tail pipe. Valve seals and worst case piston rings. I looked for a solution but there pretty much isnt a good one. Im either going to rebuild my ka or swap in another one.

mrmarbles

Thats pretty much what I figured. I don't know why all of a sudden my seals or my rings would just go bad. Unless an injector thats fully open could cause that...?

But other than that, I am still running on 3 cylinders. And I'm assuming its my injector. Would my ECU be bad, and cause one injector to stay open constantly, and cause the other to not open at all? Or am I just having REALLY bad luck with injectors?

vanquish2
Car: 92 240sx

Do a compression check first....this may tell alot fo the story

knightricer

I agree to a comp check first then if you have the time and knowledge and a friend with a two40 swap his ecu and see what happens. All i know is that from what my engine is spewing out its *** it looks like it needs a overhaul. Anyone got chip fooses # lol

mrmarbles

Well a friend and I first looked at the bad injector closer. It looked like it was shooting gas fine, but it was leaking hardcore. So we swapped the injector again with the newer one I had purchased. Tested, and worked like a charm again. I don't know what originally caused the injector to spew gas at first, but its not doing it anymore.

We then did a compression test. 160-170 across the board, surprisingly. My friend suggested that I just had a ton of crap sitting in the exhaust, and it just needed to burn out of it. The car runs, idles, and accelerates just fine, but still shoots a little bit of smoke at higher RPMS, usually when shifting gears. I knew I burned oil, but it still shoots out a little more smoke than usual. Compression test tells me that the rings and valves are fine. Why else would I burn that much oil?

vanquish2

Drive it for a couple days and see what happens

knightricer

Ok i think you should try using a heavier oil maybe 10W-30 maybe 40. and try doing something called a F.S.P No idea what that stands for but when i was a mechanic we use to use a castle product that would go in your gas tank, in your vaccum lines and spray a bottle of it in your trottle body. I dont think Castle is still around but i think valvoline may make it. So if your compression is good think about what makes oil seep into the combustion chamber????

vanquish2

To find that it would be best to do a leak down test......that would be a more detail test for the seapage problem.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”