Where is J30 Knock sensor cable ECU side location

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
jertapper
Car: 1996 J30

Since I can't get to/see where the knock sensor is...and I don't have a replacement harness. I have no clue what the ECU side of the knock sensor harness looks like. So I don't know which one it is.

I need to know so I can connect my new knock sensor directly to the wires going to the ECU. Does anyone have a picture where they could point it out to me. I'm going to try to maybe use a mirror and a light to maybe guess where the knock sensor wire comes out but I'd like to know for sure. I've already got the new one installed I just need to disconnect the old one and wire this one up.

Thanks.

jertapper

I found this:http://twinturbo.net/net/viewm...86419

http://www.angelfire.com/geek/....html

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/de....html

Everything I've found for relocation stuff is all for the 300zx. I took some pictures maybe someone can help direct me. I thought it would be in the back at the middle.

I thought this was it because it was at the back...the wire looked like it was going down to the right place and there was 2 wires just like the sensor had two prongs and the 300zx stuff above showed 2 wires coming out of the harness. I can't seem to find one that looks like the ones in the pictures from the 300zx links above and has two wires. When I disconnected this one the engine light came on giving me the 400 egr code.

Ideally I'd like someone to tell me/show me exactly which harness is the right one so I know it's correct.

Modified by jertapper at 7:27 PM 9/29/2007

jertapper

Gah....from all the searching I did and reading there were at least two people on here that say they have done this. Someone has to be able to point me to exactly which harness I need.

Come on guys. Please!!! I'm so sick of this sluggishness. The new ks is ready to be used.

Loanman
Car: 97 Infiniti J30

I need the same kind of help. I have a 97 J30 and am having problems with sluggish or no acceleration in high gears, especially in warmer temperatures. From reading evrything here it sounds like the KS. I just replaced the MAF.

Could somebody please give a detailed description with photos of how to relocate or bypass the KS. I can't spend the money to tear appart the engine and replace them right now.

It would be greatly appreciated!!

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Installing a 1.5 Megaohm resistor in the KS connector (ECU Side) is a quick and easy way to diagnose the KS.

jertapper

yodawill2000 wrote:Installing a 1.5 Megaohm resistor in the KS connector (ECU Side) is a quick and easy way to diagnose the KS.
That is true...IF you can find the connector.

jertapper

Loanman wrote:I need the same kind of help. I have a 97 J30 and am having problems with sluggish or no acceleration in high gears, especially in warmer temperatures. From reading evrything here it sounds like the KS. I just replaced the MAF.

Could somebody please give a detailed description with photos of how to relocate or bypass the KS. I can't spend the money to tear appart the engine and replace them right now.

It would be greatly appreciated!!
I've basically already done the searching for you. I had the same problem. Cleaned the MAF...no help. Then I checked the engine codes and I was getting the knock sensor code. Now I've put a new one on there (relocated though) but can't find the harness to hook it up to.

the third link I posted above:

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/de....html

Is about doing the resistor check yodawill2000 mentioned.

You have to find the harness first...something I am apparently unable to do. If you find it...help me out. Please!

95-J30tt
Car: 95 Infiniti J30tt (Twin Turbo)

the connector circled above is actually for the EGR temperature sensor, it is NOT for the knock sensor, i have a knock sensor sitting around somewhere in the trunk of the J, i'll find it and take a pic and post it

i'm about 99.9999% sure that the connector is exactly the same as the one in the link that is posted just above this one.... it is gray, round edged.... the only way to find out is to trace it down, it should be very very close to the back centre of the engine, it has a brownish redish piece of plastic protecting the wires just like the 300zx pic in link that you have posted above ( i have a pic, i'll just have to look for it, i'll post it once i find it)

it is not easy to replace the detonation (knock) sensor with the engine in the car, you will need very small hands and a 12mm wratcheting wrech to do it, and a lot of paitiance and swearing, but the relocation would work.....

jertapper

95-J30tt wrote:the connector circled above is actually for the EGR temperature sensor, it is NOT for the knock sensor, i have a knock sensor sitting around somewhere in the trunk of the J, i'll find it and take a pic and post it

i'm about 99.9999% sure that the connector is exactly the same as the one in the link that is posted just above this one.... it is gray, round edged.... the only way to find out is to trace it down, it should be very very close to the back centre of the engine, it has a brownish redish piece of plastic protecting the wires just like the 300zx pic in link that you have posted above ( i have a pic, i'll just have to look for it, i'll post it once i find it)

it is not easy to replace the detonation (knock) sensor with the engine in the car, you will need very small hands and a 12mm wratcheting wrech to do it, and a lot of paitiance and swearing, but the relocation would work.....
I've put in a new one and relocated it as in the instructions from the 300zx websites.

I don't need to find the knock sensor. I realize it is deep down right in the middle of the V of the engine. So I don't need to trace the harness down.

I just need to find the harness so I can connect my new sensor that is already installed to it. I can't seem to find a 2 wire connector that is grey and like the one in that picture. (you can see the green wires in the picture that are just sitting there, they are connected to the brand new knock sensor I installed)

I thought it would be easier to find the harness connector and thought it would be grey with two wires. No luck yet.

gotspeed
Car: 96 nissan pathfinder 97 infiniti J30

I have relocated my KS and my car is running fine at least it hasn't bogged down with any sluggishness since i have done it and its been at least two months ago. I do have pictures of where i have relocated the sensor and i promise to put them up tomorrow.

gotspeed

[img] http://s232.photobucket.com/al...N.jpg [/img]

this is a picture of the the wire that connects the ks to the computer[img] http://s232.photobucket.com/al...s.jpg [/img]

this is the relocated ks you have to remove the engine cover to access this spot[img] http://s232.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg [/img]

picture of the ks unplugged from the harness leading to the computer[img] http://s232.photobucket.com/al...2.jpg [/img] new wire and ks hooked all up and running fine.

[img] http://s232.photobucket.com/al...7.jpg [/img]

another pic of the relocated KS

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

DoodskiThose pics are SO small.I cant make out whats what !

gotspeed

i will try and upload them again, i dont know why they came out so small.

gotspeed

for those who are wondering where the kS connector is, look at the picture posted by jertapper. the one with the red circle. If you look directly to the bottom of the picture you will see another connector, that is the KS connector.

jertapper

yodawill2000 wrote:DoodskiThose pics are SO small.I cant make out whats what !
Photobucket will only let you imbed thumbnails. If you go to his homepage and click on the pics they will show up full size if you stay on their site.

The cost of free webspace...them knowing you are seeing their ads.

http://s232.photobucket.com/al...0921/

jertapper

gotspeed wrote:for those who are wondering where the kS connector is, look at the picture posted by jertapper. the one with the red circle. If you look directly to the bottom of the picture you will see another connector, that is the KS connector.
gotspeed, Thanks for the pics. It seems so obvious. doh! I'm about to go take care of this. I pointed mine the wrong direction and used the bolt to the left of the one you used because that's what it seemed they used in the 300zx ones. I think I'll be ok though. I can move it if I have to...hopefully I won't need to. I'm excited to finally finish this and know for sure. Thanks again.

Thanks to your pics, I think this thread is now the authority on doing the j30 ks relocation. After doing a search no one should have any questions anymore. hehe I mean it in a good way though.
Modified by jertapper at 3:21 PM 10/21/2007

jertapper

Didn't work at first. The only thing that it could be was the wires being backwards. I switched them and now it works great.

Now on to replacing the shocks/struts.

Adam240sx
Car: 1995 240sx

yahoo flickr is the answer to photobuckets tiny picture problems. flickr allows you to embed a thumbnail, small, medium and large picture all of different resolutions. check it out

rdorman
Car: 1995 j30

Mine has been throwing a bad knock sensor code for ages. This weekend, I put in a new one and new sub harness. Got the sensor of Ebay and the sub harness from the dealer. Bolted it to the ground point on the upper plenum, drivers side near the rear. if you look at the picture from jertapper above you can see the black gound strap running to the bolt between the infiniti symbol and the crossover tubes. Took minutes to do and the resulting change in way the car drove was nothing short of amazing. I only run 93 octane so I am not to worried about the relocation. Use a copper anti seize compound between the knock sensor and the plenum and be sure both surfaces are very clean to ensure a good ground. You may notice that your sub harness has two wires going in but only one coming out. Don't worry about that.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

Hesitation. Outside of this forum, the main proposed causes are the spark plugs & the PRVR, according to 300zx posts & videos. In my case, it was neither. It was the knock sensor! And the sensor wasn't bad! The car was actually knocking really bad (which I discovered by jumpering the connector with a a ONE megaohm resistor. Better gas & cooler weather seems to have resolved the knock, and the car accelerates better now that it ever has!

*** For those of you searching the forums in the future & pulling up this thread: there is no fuel Pressure Regulator Vacuum Relief (PRVR) solenoid on j30's. My symptoms were severe hesitation below 3,000 RPMs. When I Googled the issue, the PRVR came up. I thought this was the culprit, but after scouring the engine bay, it looks like the j30 does not have one. So don't waste your time there! It's the knock/detonation sensor! Knowing is half the battle :dblthumb:

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”