Where do I route my Versa's block-heater cord?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Snookums
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S, Magnetic Gray with Value Options and A/T Packages

My Versa has an OEM block heater (Canadian spec) but I'll be damned if I can find a way to get the plug to the outside of the car without leaving the hood partially open - it won't close with the cord looped over the radiator support. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mlody
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL CVT

I believe the block heater cord comes out of where the lower black grille is on your car (not the grille with the nissan logo but the one in the front bumper).

I'll double check tomorrow but I think thats where the cord is routed.

Snookums

Mlody wrote:I believe the block heater cord comes out of where the lower black grille is on your car (not the grille with the nissan logo but the one in the front bumper).

I'll double check tomorrow but I think thats where the cord is routed.
Thanks, Mlody. I thought that's where it might go, but the cord doesn't seem long enough. Could be that I'm just not doing it right - I'll try again when it warms up a bit.

krill69
Car: 08 versa sl black 6 speed

I have the cord in the grill on the bottom, not sure how to get it there the dealer did it for me, but it works perfect cause you can just wrap it aroung the grill when driving and it won't scratch the paint or anything..

gotak
Car: 2007 Sentra SE-R

Same issue with my sentra. I find on the sentra though you can open the hood plug in your extension cord to the heater cord which is still warped around the inside and the close the hood. So that's how i am doing it for now.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

as suggested, through the grill, bottom passenger side

gammer_ghn

so the engine block heater is a electrical heater and has to be plugeg into outlet? never had a block heater and i dont think ill ever need it.. but im such a noob lol

Snookums

gammer_ghn wrote:so the engine block heater is a electrical heater and has to be plugeg into outlet? never had a block heater and i dont think ill ever need it.. but im such a noob lol
We get something called winter up here - that's why it's called the Great White North. A block heater helps keep the engine from freezing up. Glad you don't need one, but on the other hand I don't have to worry about being swallowed up by the San Andreas fault...

gammer_ghn

Lmfaooo well the coldest it gets here is 30 degrees thats it and well we do kind of get winter by my house. Im right next to the Angeles Crest Mountains there is snow 7 miles from my house at 4000 feet. Lmfaooo and the thing with that option is that i see it beings offered here, and I always thought it was a built in feature that you dont have to plug in anywhere it just works off of your cars batt since I have never seen it on anyone’s car here.... so ya thanks a bunch for the San Andrea’s comment lol

Supercourse
Car: 2007 Sentra, 2004 BMW X3

There is not necessarily a standard exit point for the block heater plug once it has been unzipped from its factory position. On the 2007 Sentra, the cord is long enough to go from its "hiding place" on the left side of the engine bay all the way over to a convenient (to me) exit through the main grille way over near the right headlamp. The plug looks as though it would not fit through grille holes, but if you pass the plug cover through first, and then manouver the plug itself through patiently, it works out fine. (The plug and its cover are a close color match to the grille, and they can sit snugly in the grille as to be hardly noticeable.)Of course, the Versa has a totally different grille, but I would expect something similar could be done. I think it best to have the plug up fairly high, for various reasons (keeping it clean, ease of plugging and unplugging, etc.). Make sure the cord is kept away from hot parts, and moving parts, and suitably retained with zip ties.Incidentally, Nissan has always been better than most other manufacturers in providing block heaters as standard. Some people erroneously insist they don't have a block heater because they don't live in a cold climate, when in fact all they need to do is locate the coiled-up connecting cord, or for some models/markets, buy the required cord.Use of a block heater is not limited to -40 degree starting, it has a role in reducing engine wear and quick heat availabilty for demisting, or safety.

Return to “Versa General Chat”