When do I press these buttons?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Mrcjolsen
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD

"VDC off" (next to the AWD lock)

I press it and the car drives exactly like it does otherwise. Does the VDC keep the car from spinning out or rolling over?

"AWD lock" If the AWD always goes on when the cars starts out, and automatically powers any wheel with traction, what's the point? My car is smarter than me. I get it.

And finally, the "OD off" on the shifter. This button made going up hills a little more fun but it really annoyed my wife in the right seat. "Why are you making the car all jumpy?" It' seems to make the car more peppy at the low end. But not enough to do a wheelie or anything.

And how is that different from using the low gear? On other cars, you turn off the overdrive, and you don't really notice until you get up to speed.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Slip indicator light
This indicator will blink when the VDC system or the traction control system is operating, thus alerting the driver that the vehicle is nearing its traction limits. The road surface may be slippery.

The vehicle should be driven with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system on for most driving conditions. If the vehicle is stuck in mud or snow, the VDC system reduces the engine output to reduce wheel spin. The engine speed will be reduced even if the accelerator is depressed to the floor. If maximum engine power is needed to free a stuck vehicle, turn the VDC system off.

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE (AWD) LOCK SWITCH OPERATIONS
The AWD LOCK switch located on the lower side of the instrument panel. This switch is used to select the AUTO or LOCK mode depending on the driving conditions. Each time you push the lower part of the switch *A , the AWD mode will switch: AUTO-LOCK-AUTO.

To paraphrase moderator kerrton "When all else fails, RTFM"

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

VDC = traction control. keeps the tires from slipping. turn it off, and you will have wheel spin on slippery area's. since the rogue has a weak engine, i dont see any wheel spin unless on ice.

AWD LOCK: kinda useless in my book since its automatically in awd every time we are 0-6mph. its good when your stuck in something i guess.

OD: overdrive is the final or last gear ratio available for highway speeds. your car doesnt go into the Overdrive gear ratio until its at least near 50mph or so. it helps when towing, going up a hill, having a heavy load in the car, or when a little spirited driving is needed on highways.

Return to “Rogue Forum”