What to expect from aftermarket springs and struts

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

This thread is for the FAQ page. If you have aftermarket springs and struts, and want to add your comments feel free. Please list your year make/model and what springs and struts you are using.

2001 Nissan Maxima SEEibach Prokit SpringsTokico Illumina Struts

Astetics: My car was lowered about an an inch and a half in the front and one inch in the rear. It removed almost all the wheelwell gap. It gives the car a really nice stance

Performance: Most noticable is less body roll. The springs are very stiff, and you will notice a lot more of the bumps in the road. They made an incredible difference in cornering. They also feel nothing like the stock springs and give it a sportscar stiffness. The Illumina struts are adjustable, and give the option of a softer or stiffer ride. Tis is a great option, for long drives it is nice to have a softer ride, and around town I like to keep them stiff. They are really easy to adjust, and all four can be adjusted in less than five minutes with a small flat blade screwdriver. Simply pop the hood and trunk and turn the dial on top of each strut!

Overall: I am really happy with this upgrade. It handles like a different car, and is much more fun to drive. Pleasant and sporty on long drives and very sporty around town.

LA02MAX
Car: 2002 6-speed maxima

2002 SE 6-speedTein H-techs with adjustable Tokico Illumina struts

Astetics: Much less wheel gap, more 'menacing' stance and more carlike. (no 4x4 for me!)

Performance: The first thing I noticed was that the floatiness was gone. Going over large bumps, the car instantly regained control rather than bobbing up and down a couple times. Also, it felt like the weight shifted a lot less in braking and accelerating, due to the stiffer struts. And, of course, body roll was greatly reduced which increased cornering capabilities keeping all 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground and allowing less weight transfer from side to side.

Overall: Definitely up there with the best purchases I've made for my car. This paired with the LTB and RSB make the max handle VERY well even at the limit. If I could go back and do it again, I probably would have waited to get coilovers, though.

totaljett
Car: 1999 Q45T

2002 Q45

Could someone tell me is it possible to place non adjustable struts on my Q45t because I am willing to lose the adjustable feature. I only use the sport mode anyway so I just want a firm ride from any quality strut. Even if there is a generic replacement for the OEM I am all ears. I'm seriously trying to avoid OEM prices.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Probably get a better response in the Q45 forum.

totaljett

2002 Q45

Pro
MinisterofDOOM wrote:Probably get a better response in the Q45 forum.
Yeah you probably right. I gave it a shot here also because of the aftermarket reference.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

1996 I30

Eibach Pro KitTokico Illumina (Front)Tokico HPs (Rear)

Aesthetics

Greatly improved wheel gap and made the I30 look less like a Camry (I hated people asking me if my car was a Camry). The lowering springs coupled with +2" rims made for a very sexy/strong look. The "settled" in height dropped the car closer to 2".

Performance Before installing the suspension, the car would bob a lot. Taking dips too fast resulted in a dented oil pan and scraped front bumper. Taking fast corner was just suicide.

The suspension was completed in a 2 stage process. First Eibach springs and the Tokico HPs in the rear (with OEM up front), then when the fronts started bobbing around too much, I went for the Illuminas.

Cornering abilities were amazing. Nose dive (braking) was nearly eiminated. The overall feeling of the body and suspension working together is great.

Overall I love the suspension, but I think the Illuminas are a little overkill for me. Turning them up to "5" allows little to no spring compression and can be extremely unpleasant. I do occasionally go under "3" for long distance comfort, but I find myself wanting the stiffness back when weaving through ignorant Cali traffic.

That being said, I probably could have stuck with HPs all around and saved myself $250 (The HPs are as stiff as "3" on the Illuminas).

Check zer...91141 for a brand new pair of rear 4th gen Tokico HPs

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

totaljett wrote:Yeah you probably right. I gave it a shot here also because of the aftermarket reference.
Ah, I figured you just accidentally clicked the wrong forum. Happens occasionally.

The Q's are all pretty specialized beasts. So what applies to the Max doesn't necessarily apply to them. Especially not to Q's with any sort of adjustable suspension.

Good news is our Q guys know their stuff, so they'll definitely be able to help you out.

totaljett

2002 Q45

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
Ah, I figured you just accidentally clicked the wrong forum. Happens occasionally.

The Q's are all pretty specialized beasts. So what applies to the Max doesn't necessarily apply to them. Especially not to Q's with any sort of adjustable suspension.

Good news is our Q guys know their stuff, so they'll definitely be able to help you out.
Thanks for the tip and excuse the interruption. As you were gentlemen

02SEmaxima
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE

Where did you get the third brake light in clear? Do you think they have them smoked?

reknab
Car: 1986 Maxima SE, 2001 Maxima 25th Anniversary

Need new new front struts .... stat!Maxima 2001 Anniversary , 5 Speed. Can some one enlighten myself and all who follow what after market struts might be a good choice to replace the ones that are totally shot on baby. I have 89k miles. They are not the adjustable type. Would I want new springs? And why? The lower profile could be cool but I'm not trying to impress anyone.

I was not expecting them to go so soon. I have an 86 maxima with 225k miles and the front 3 way adjustable shocks are still working fine? The back ones are due but still drivable. I can't really drive the 2001 now.

I'm in the San Francisco area. A good mechanic to install such items would be handy to know, if this is proper to ask.

Thanks good stuff and cheers.

reknab

2001 Maxima Anniversary, 5 speed. 90KI sprung for an Eibach Pro kit and the koni struts and koni shocks in the rear. It was that or what the Nissan dealer had for more money. Whoa! The first corner I hit on I-280 was like "butter". The handling and cornering with the lower center of gravity and stiff suspension was quite nice. The struts are adjustable and I don't even know where it is set but hitting little imperfections in the road or a surface change definitely rattles the ride more than before. But it is a great improvement.

reknab

Any one put the Eibach pro spacers on a Maxima?

Nissan6Maxima
Car: 1998 Nissan Maxima SE

HELP FROM ANYONE APPRECIATED!!!I purchased a 4th gen. maxima SE which was lowered about an inch or more both front and rear. During any type of driving it is very un-pleasant. The suspension on it now is either a cheap set of struts/shocks or another problem. I recently had the struts replaced from advanced. I didnt order any thing like a tein set or anything like that and I think thats what my problem is. It has a set of 18" with low profile tires. Basically I need any advice on why every crack in the road or bump or mishape will send my front and rear suspension slamming into the car and provide no shock absorption. Should i just replace the shocks? but I think i was told the shocks wouldnt do much replacing to solve the problem, it had to be a whole new strut/shock set up. Any advice from anyone??

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

here's 2 pieces of advice:

1) don't revive old posts to ask a somewhat related question - start your own thread.2) my guess is that your setup is either missing or has untrimmed bump stops - in one case the suspension won't travel enough for cusioning, in the other it will bottom out tearing up the whole axle thing.

sell the 18's and get 15 or 16" rims + tires with a tall sidewal for comfort. what kind of shock have you got now? to upgrade get kyb agx or better yet tokico illumina - both adjustable from hard to soft.

JOzz
Car: 2003 Infiniti I35

2002 I35
Tein H-techs with KYB GR-2's

Astetics: Almost no wheel gap, slight rake in the front, looks AWESOME compared to stock.

Performance: Feels a lot like my 330I, with the exception of the fwd. Super tight! But still rides nice and smooth.

Overall: Makes this feel like a new car. I replaced all of the steering and suspension parts along with this install which gave me optimum results. I bought this car used with 120K miles on it so as far as what it drove like new, I can't compare. But it absolutely drives nicer than many new cars I have been in.

car5car
Car: 04 Maxima SL

I bought 4 struts from junk yard for $15 a piece. They were aftermarket and suspension stopped knocking. That was the only thing I needed.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Purchased in 2014

95 Maxima and 98 Maxima

Monroe Quickstruts for the front
(springs come with the strut as a unit)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”