What tire rotation pattern do you guys prefer?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mlynM35
Car: 2006 M35

The owners manual says front to back on each side....no crossing.

Tire rack says for rear wheel drive to put rears straight to front and cross front when moving them to rear.

What are the pros and cons of each?

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

You can't cross tires if they are directional. Crossing is supposed to be better for wear, but you allegedly increase the liklehood of a radial belt slipping when you cross rotate because the tire is spinning the other way.

mlynM35

I dont have directional tires so I'm good there. I have heard the radial belt theory also, but I looked at several major tire manufacturers websites and they say to cross. I have michelin tires and the michelin site says to cross.

Which method to u use The00dustin?

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

I crossed when I rotated them myself, but the tire shops around here don't cross unless you're staggered, so I don't cross anymore. I've had slipped belts both ways, they seem more related to the age of the tire or the miles on it to me.

mlynM35

The tire places around here dont cross either.....since the manual says not to cross either, i will stick with that.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

My own use and recommendation ... fwiw. :)

Rule 1: Directional: Don't cross ... front-back only. Rotation of tire stays in the same direction as marked on the tire.

Rule 2: Non-directional: Cross using a typical "non-spare use" pattern (if your spare is not a regular wheel and tire). Doing cross should give better wear patterns, but it is also dependent on the alignment, of course.

Rule 3: Never mix and match tires (brands, types or sizes) on the same axle - if you have tires on the front axle that are different from the back axle, don't cross.

Rule 4: If you use snow tires, put snow tires on all four wheels - not just the "driven" axle.

Rule 5: Try to use the same brand/model/size on all four wheels.

Rule 6: If your car requires/needs staggered wheels, then ignore rule 5 ... only with regard to the "same" size, that is!

Rule 6: Never stagger or have different tires/wheels on AWD Nissan/Infiniti cars.

Doing cross should give better wear patterns, but it is also dependent on the alignment, of course.

Since I have a small spare, not regular tire, it is not in the pattern. However, I regularly (every two to three months - far less than the tires on the car, of course) check its pressure to make sure it is at 60 psi ... having a flat and discovering your spare is flat too is a pain!

Note that some tires have "inside/outside" differences ... like my current Continental DWS tires. But, since the pattern is non-directional, it is okay to cross them (inside stays inside :))

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”