what's the difference between gxe and gle?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

mine's not an se but don't know if it's the gx or gl. has driver power seat, leather, heated mirrors, moon roof. is there any diff between them?

BOBCAT
Car: 2000 Maxima, 94 SER

allensteiner wrote:mine's not an se but don't know if it's the gx or gl. has driver power seat, leather, heated mirrors, moon roof. is there any diff between them?
GLE. The GXE is a base model.

lowblocks
Car: 1995 maxima

I don't think the gxe has the fuel cut off

sixteenXnine
Car: 2000 GLE and 2000 GXE

fuel cut-off, what's that?

I also wonder about the differences between the two.

The differences in the driving dynamics between my GXE and GLE are becoming more and more dramatic every day; I think mmy GXE has el cheapo struts, mounts, bearings and springs while my GLE is outfitted with premium-level stuff.

But aside from those possible differences, isn't the GLE shipped with a different spring rate AND thicker anti-sway bars?

My GLE is very composed over small bumps. It doesn't feel like the car moves around much during acceleration, or during turning on sharp corners. For what its worth, right now the GLE is outfitted with 15" steel rims, Goodyear Regatta II's up front (215/65R15) and Eagle GT-H's in the rear.

My GXE rattles and thumps over small bumps and it feels like it rocks during acceleration and sharp corners. It has 16" Maxima 5-spoke aluminums and 215/55R16 Goodyear Eagle GT's on all four corners.

The GLE is shifting smooth as butter right now as well, while the GXE is still exhibiting very hard 1st to second shifts even after the supposed service bulletin and a fluid drain and refill I did a couple days ago.

So fuel cut-off (what's that?), spring rates and anti-sway bars? Are those the differences between the base model and the up-market luxury version?

ROCKART
Car: QNO A32 GLE

what generation are we talking about here? 4th? 3rd?

the 4th gen is what i know...

GXEBlack gauge facesCloth seatsBasic stereo (BOSE optional but extremely rare)Probably no sunroof (optional but very rare)Chrome outer window trim and door handles5spd or Auto transNo spoilerNo fog lightsSteel wheels with hubcapsChrome grill on 97-99 modelsManual A/C

GLEBlack gauge facesLeather seatsBOSE stereoSunroofChrome outer window trim and door handlesAuto trans onlyNo spoilerNo fog lights15" honeycomb (95-96) or 15" blade-style (97-99) alloy wheelsChrome grill on 97-99 modelsFake wood color dash and door trimFuzzy A-pillars on some yearsPop-out drawer (not flip-down) below radio on some yearsClimate control onlyElectronically controlled front engine mountLiquid filled rear shock mounts

sixteenXnine

ROCKART wrote:Electronically controlled front engine mountLiquid filled rear shock mounts
Are these on 5th gens as well?

Gawd, my GXE feels like a go-kart compared to the GLE, which feels like... I dunno, it just feels like a NEW car perpetually while the GXE feels old.

I'm gonna put all GLE-level stuff in my GXE from here on out...

So about the shock mounts and motor mounts... anyone know anything about these and/or the struts/spring differences?

watissssit
Car: 97 maxima in the market for a 240

gxe has a speed gov of 119 which sucks and i belive the gxe is a little lighter too

sixteenXnine

So can the ECU be reflashed?

Or can an ECU upgrade eliminate this governor?

allensteiner

sixteenXnine wrote:So can the ECU be reflashed?

Or can an ECU upgrade eliminate this governor?
there's a simple write up on removing it but you have to find it yourself as it's not from this forum.

and it's a limiter not governor fyi...i think because i haven't had a chance to hit it yet

sixteenXnine

I've hit ~119 in both the GLE and the GXE but haven't had enough room on the road to go past that. :p

allensteiner

k...i'm positive it's a limiter not governor because of how easy it is to remove - snip the wheel speed sensor wire on the ecu harness connector - might throw a code but heard it's harmless - look up which one it is in the fsm.

as to your earlier Q the fuel cut off is aka the immobiliser. meaning wrong or no key = no go.

DevonD
Car: 96 Nissan Maxima SE

The limitier must only be on the autos. My 5spd manual has been way past 119mph. Its limited only by the redline in 5th gear. At..about 230km/h or I guess 145mph if I remember correctly. Its kind of hard to tell becasue the speedo only goes to 220km. but ya.

And also doesnt the ECU play some role in the ABS? So couldnt snipping that wire have major effects and be extremly dangerous?

The SE was the only one that came with a spoiler and also the only one with the sport suspension package. Though I believe that the GLE had sensatrack it still wasnt the same as the SE's settup.

sixteenXnine

but doesn't the GL have the SE's thicker swaybars?

DevonD
Car: 96 Nissan Maxima SE

Im not sure. I was under the impression that the SE was the only one that had any suspension upgrades. I could be wrong though. I have never had a GLE.

watissssit
Car: 97 maxima in the market for a 240

119 is the govner for me it cuts the fuel and the rpms go back to 700 you can get the ecu chiped by i belive jwt but it only works for 96 and under or you could swap ecu years and i belive you have to extend one of the 02 senser wires

lowblocks
Car: 1995 maxima

i have a gxe 5spd and my car has gone over 120. i have a wing and fogs but no power seats some people say it how u drive your car so idk

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”