WHat's the best aftermarket Navigation Unit for '99 Q45?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
HollywoodJackson
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35
1990 Nissan 240SX Hatchback
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Hey,

I have a 1999 Q45 with the stock CD player in it. Now the CD player is starting to go bad, the display lights don't work without me tapping the unit, AND I'm sick of LAPD profiling me and giving me cell phone tickets!

I've looked on Crutchfield's web site, and they are no help with finding a unit that will work well with the Q45. I would really be happy if I could find an in-dash navi system, that will use the steering wheel controls (I hate buttons that don't work).

The must haves are...
  • bluetooth sync with cell phone
  • hard drive for a lot of music
  • looks good in the Q45's dash
  • decent navi functionality
  • relatively cheap!
If you know of a unit that will work well, please reply with the info. Thanks in advance.

All the best,
HollywoodJackson

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

So I just did this myself and first off DO NOT buy an in-dash navigation. There is NO SUCH THING as a cheap one...the best one that i was going to buy an Alpine unit, it was around $1300 bucks from Crutchfield. This is a great unit that would fit all of your needs, but after you buy all the other stuff you need to do the install, (mounting kit, Bose adapter, harnse, etc) too much.

So what I did was buy a super nice Audio DVD unit from Pioneer. It doesn't do hard drive, however, you can hook up a USB to it and just run off USB thumb drives if you must have your own music. It comes in the box with bluetooth (that works well), hands free, etc. I don't know if they have a steering wheel kit or not, since my 97' didn't have that functionality it was not on my must have list.

This unit looks very nice in the Q45. I bought the lowest end unit to keep in my budget:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... H-X3600BHS

Then I also put one in my X-Terra, which I know I will keep longer so I bought a higher model:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... VH-X4600BT

I wish now that I'd spent the extra $150 on the Q's unit and bought hte 4600 for both cars. Then what I did was had the same place that was installing the unit put a hard holder in for my cell phone with charging.

http://www.proclipusa.com/

They do make a specific model that fits your 99' Q45. I wish the unit sat in a little different place as you cannot turn the phone easily but as long as you don't mind directly up it works great. Then load Google Maps and Waze on your phone and your done. For me my Samsung Galaxy S5 has a screen nearly as big as the DVD navigation and I know I upgrade my apps and get a new phone every 2 years. With the in-dash unit you're stuck with the navigation for life.

If you use iPhone you can also connect it to the Pioneer unit, if you use Andriod like me there is no value in doing that. Note, I tried and returned a Pioneer App Radio...do not buy one of these, they SUCK!!!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

I had this in my truck for a few months and I finally ripped it out and returned it...damn Pioneer charged me 30% restocking fee, well worth it.

So bottom line, if your budget is $1600-1700 bucks then Apline is your best bet

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w957hd

But I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 4600 unit. I like it much better than the 3600 due to the bigger screen..but both do a great job with Bluetooth Audio (Sticher, etc) and play Pandora Natively (awesome). And the best thing is the hands-free bluetooth audio is excellent, nobody complains about it.

Only minus I know of is steering wheel and the hard drive. But the double-DIN look is great and it really modernizes the car. E-mail me if you want [email protected]

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Great reply Jeff. Thank you for all of the detail.

Unfortunately (at first) my '99 Q45 was total loss, due to a fire cause by a fuel leak (thanks a lot mechanics!). Now, I'm rolling a '02 Q45 and will soon be researching some other audio ideas I have.

One is, can something be done to the system to give the CD changer the ability to read data DVD's?

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Sorry I hear about the 99', the 02' is a nice ride, hopefully you will not have the oil burning issues with it (do a search and monitor you oil level closely).

You need to find a shop that knows how to work on the stock units to extend their functionality. It is much different then the 99' because you don't have a double-din unit that just pops out. There are a decent amount of solutions out there to use the installed screen but upgrade the sound and unit. This is not a DIY'er type of thing. Since your in LA it should be easy to find a bunch of places that can do it. Al & Eds Stereo are hit/miss, I used to have a great one on Lincoln Blvd. but under new management now for years, but that is at least a starting place to find out what can be done.

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Thanks again for the info BadQ45t. Since I'm fairly new to LA, I've only heard of Al & Ed's. I will give them a call!

Happy Holidays to you!

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”