What's better: A turbo or supercharger? Vote!

All things Altima Coupe.
Burtonboarder950
Car: 2005 350z touring

Not only don't i know which is better, I don't know the difference. So all you car fanatics out there, help me out! Just for 08Altima35....if you choose to vote please state why...jus a reason to your choice ;] thanks

Thanks, the newbie

Modified by Burtonboarder950 at 9:12 PM 5/21/2008
Modified by Burtonboarder950 at 9:13 PM 5/21/2008

Canadian Coupe
Car: '07 Saab 93 Turbocharged / Soon '09 G37 or '09 A/C

I vote Supercharger.

Rolling Estonian
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5

Both force air into the intake. Superchargers use a belt or gears attached to the crankshaft for power. Turbos use exhaust gas to power a tubine.

Mr. Music
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT w/ Convenience Package
In the family: '02 S15 Spec R, '09 Rogue

Superchargers are generally considered a "safer" way of making power than a turbo. Most turbo setups generally produce more power, or are capable of producing more power than superchargers, which is mainly why superchargers are "safer" to run. A turbo is run by exhaust gases which spin a turbine to compress the air, and superchargers are run by the fan belt, spinning a pulley which spins some sort of screws to compress the air. While it may not be the most intricate explanation, I hope it helps. EDIT: geez, you people type fast...

johnny_d
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe V6 SE w/ CVT

Turbo? we'll let Mcheddadi answer your question .... or maybe he won't cuz you called him a sm@rt @$$ for trying to help ........

Burtonboarder950

johnny_d wrote:Turbo? we'll let Mcheddadi answer your question .... or maybe he won't cuz you called him a sm@rt @$$ for trying to help ........
haha that was a good one, i respect that comment. yea i read the response to my question round 2 after comin home drunk from a party and didn't feel like gettin called names so i flipped....oh well sh*t happens

Canadian Coupe

I'm the only one that likes the supercharger.

08altima35
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE 6Speed Manny Artisan Turbo Dark Slate

one word - turbo!

also, not to bust your balls, but if you don't undestand what either a turbo' or supercharger do, why don't you do some research on both instead of posting a poll. a simple vote of what people like better won't help you understand the function of either one.

Canadian Coupe

That's actually 3 words.

08altima35

Canadian Coupe wrote:That's actually 3 words.
maybe a equal sign would have helped you out better with that one C. Coupe

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

Eh, I have a fondness for superchargers, they just tend to take well with v6's and v8's. However, for traditional purposes, turbos are profoundly more popular with the Asian market. If I had 2 systems sitting on a table, 1 being a s/c and the others being a t/c, I would pick the turbo system

08altima35

instead of just voting i thinking everyone who has voted should state why. this already looks like a meaningless thread, but i'm just curious as to what people opinions are that back their votes.

AkAd3MiKs
Car: 08 Altima Coupe Pearl_White

adidas2go wrote:However, for traditional purposes, turbos are profoundly more popular with the Asian market.

Anyway, I always loved turbo and still do but since I have an auto now, Im gonna go with a supercharger for my car. So yea, Im not voting.

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

I vote neither, I vote twin turbo..... now where is that turbo emoticon.

Canadian Coupe

Twin superchargers!!!

Burtonboarder950

spockrock wrote:http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

I vote neither, I vote twin turbo..... now where is that turbo emoticon.
would a twin turbo really work on an a/c? that would be heavy on my wallet =/ thanks for the link btw

spockrock
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5se

Canadian Coupe wrote:Twin superchargers!!!
yessssss...... http://www.autoblog.com/2006/0...-f430/

but the purpose of twin turbos originally was to reduce turbo lag...... but now its really to increase the output. BTW the bugatti veyron has a quad turbo setup attached to its 8.0L W16 engine ....

CDUB 42
Car: 2008 Black Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 S.E.

I vote turbo. Ive never driven a s/c car but my last car was turbo. And just the feeling of the pull it gives you is insane. Its like riding a rollercoaster. You start off slow because of lag and it suddenly just hits boost. Its an amazing feeling.

joe21
Car: Precision Grey Altima Coupe 3.5SE CVT

I'm a fan of the supercharger. Vortech's S/C for the 350Z boosts it up to an extra 140 horses. if they could make one for the AC, I would be all over it. The only downfall it that it's over $6000.

Are turbos that expensive?

Blake, any word on how much yours might be for the public after it's all done.

I also think it's all on what comes out first. I would rather have a turbo now than a supercharger a year from now.

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

AkAd3MiKs wrote:

Anyway, I always loved turbo and still do but since I have an auto now, Im gonna go with a supercharger for my car. So yea, Im not voting.
i think he meant Japanese cars, but I could be wrong... oh yeah, I vote supercharger

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

joe21 wrote:Blake, any word on how much yours might be for the public after it's all done.
I'm not sure, but I think were looking around the 5k range.
rjdmmfl1 wrote:
i think he meant Japanese cars
Absolutely meant Japanese cars. Asian market was more politically correct, or so I thought

packerjd04
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima S 2.5 Coupe

I loveeeee the scream of a supercharger, but i'd take either one hah

datsun2401972
Car: 90 240sx coupe XE

Definitely Turbo.

Twin screw superchargers create alot of cylinder pressure at low rpms. Although this is good for super low end torque, it is not good for engine durability.

Centrifugal superchargers are similar to turbochargers, minus the whole turbine(hot side) on the turbo. Of course these are belt driven with gear reduction. The reason centrifugal superchargers aren't better than turbos: the housing and impeller designs are usually a decade behind turbos . So you basically get the same parasitic drag on the crankshaft as you would with a twin screw style supercharger, but with much more "lag" than a turbo of the same size. And technically it's not lag, I believe it's called the boost threshold.

Why I think turbo's are so much better: many, many different sizes of turbos to fit your specific need, no parasitic drag on the crankshaft, much newer technology used in design...

Bad part about turbos: usually more fab skills needed, exhaust gas reversion in the cylinder(from backpressure in ex mani), and if you want REALLY big power, you have to wait for enough exhaust gas velocity to spool the turbo to the desired uber boost pressure.

Many more specifics about the differences are there, those are just the main ones that come to mind.

datsun2401972
Car: 90 240sx coupe XE

spockrock wrote:but the purpose of twin turbos originally was to reduce turbo lag...... but now its really to increase the output. BTW the bugatti veyron has a quad turbo setup attached to its 8.0L W16 engine ....
Alot of people forget that another advantage to twin turbos is cutting the thermal load on the turbocharger in half. Also a "V" designed engine tends to be alot easier to twin turbo than single. Of course there's gonna be more weight to a twin setup(pipes, turbo, etc..).

I'd like to see a comparo between one monster turbo and a twin setup at the same boost pressure. And try to keep all the efficiencies as close as possible. Will the single have more high end hp? The twin have more torque?

I think it's funny watching all these turbo mustang guys at the drags not able to spool up their "106mm" turbo at the lights. They spend who knows how many seconds prestaged, superheating their tranny fluid, trying to spool up their massive single turbo....just to break loose half track and having to shut it down. I think a twin turbo lsx s13, caged, slicked, and autoboxed would be a good formula to school those guys...iono...

08Coupe
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

Supercharger's provide more low end power and less lag, in a daily driver this is most important. I have driven whipple Cobras, Maggie vettes, Maggie and a APS twin turbo GTO's,3 modified STI's, and a EVO9and will take a supercharger any day...

PHENOMenalVinyl
Car: 08 altima coupe 2.5 mt

i like the sound the turbo has in a car more than a supercharger bc sometimes u can hear the turbo

pcpower
Car: Nissan Altima 3.5 SL

guys, gals, are we forgetting the # 1 reason why turbochargers are the best.........? blow-off valves!!! there's nothing else like that hiss of air (zzzzzzssssiiiip) every time you hit the sweet spot and switch gears, it makes you feel like a total bad-a$$ with a sweet ride.

ya I know, kind of superficial, but to each his own!

Canadian Coupe

pcpower wrote:guys, gals, are we forgetting the # 1 reason why turbochargers are the best.........? blow-off valves!!! there's nothing else like that hiss of air (zzzzzzssssiiiip) every time you hit the sweet spot and switch gears, it makes you feel like a total bad-a$$ with a sweet ride.

The supercharger has a sweet 'scream' as someone already mentioned.

heeroguy
Car: altima coupe 3.5

id chose a supercharger,

love being able to have a very predictable power band and low end power, plus being the coupes pretty ballsy already i dont really want 500 WHP 350-400 would be bad *** though.

nothing wrong with either setup just know what you want from it,

2 different means of power and 2 different ways of driving.

heeroguy
Car: altima coupe 3.5

pcpower wrote:guys, gals, are we forgetting the # 1 reason why turbochargers are the best.........? blow-off valves!!! there's nothing else like that hiss of air (zzzzzzssssiiiip) every time you hit the sweet spot and switch gears, it makes you feel like a total bad-a$$ with a sweet ride.

srt-4's ruined blow off valves for me,

everytime i hear one get excited and turn around and just frown

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”